Help for My Teen-age Son with Bad Acne

My son is 15 1/2 and has broken out with a very bad case of acne. We were using pro-active but his face starting getting severly dry. I also started using the acne treatment from Avon, that one makes his face burn really bad. I want advice on a more natural solution. My son is already starting to get a complex about his acne. I am just afraid he is going to scar before I find the right cure. Please help me!!!

Hi E.,
Take him to a really good dermatologist fast. I had severe acne as a teeneager, and my parents did nothing. Now at 44, I have terrible acne scars. I hate to look at myself in the mirror to this day. Don't let the acne scar him, because the scars don't just stay on his face. They end up scarring his self esteem. People, and other kids, are really mean about acne and acne scars. I still hear comments from adults about my face.

I have two suggestions for you. One is xango it is a very potent health drink that when you drink helps the acne from the inside out and them you either make a paste or just put the juice on a cotton ball on the affected areas. It has worked really well for a lot of people. The other is a company called sensaria. I have a friend who become a rep just because one of their products has taken away her acne. If you would like for info. please contact me and I can give you more information.

I help teens clear their acne by taking a closer look at their diet and putting them on a detox program that cleanses the system from the inside, cleanses the the blood and helps prevent break-outs. My website also carries a homeopathic product called ACNE that has worked well for teens.

M. Wright
Certified Herbalist
www.motherknowsbest.net

E.,

I had terrible acne as a teenage too. Luckily, my family doctor caught it before it got too bad and left scars. I know thre are many skin medications out there that will help w/ acne. See you family doctor he can help. Also, I know that tanning beds and the sun can help too. I would see my doctor first though. I believe I used a cream prescribed by my doctor called T-stat. That is going way back, so I am sure they have better medications now. Good Luck!

i agree that a good dermatologist can help. in addition to topicals, the dr can do light therapy, chemical peels, & oral meds. i use bryan schultz in oak park.

you need to take him to a dermatologist

I am not sure where you live but I highly recommend my dermatologist. She will give him antibiotics that are specifically for acne with Retin A cream (at least that is what she prescribed for me.) My face is very clear now and I still go to her for other things she might recommend to keep my skin clear. Her name is Dr. Dillig in Hinsdale she also has an office in St. Charles. The number to Hinsdale is ###-###-####.

First things first: Go to a good dermatologist. Mine is Deborah Beaird in Hoffman Estates at Northwest Dermatology. I highly recommend her. I had cystic acne starting in high school. I could cover it up pretty well as I had make-up - something boys can't use. So they can't cover it up. I also did every treatment under the sun, including dietary restrictions -- I tried from the outside in and inside out and NOTHING worked. Three years ago (at age 42) I finally broke down and went on Accutane. It's not recommended for child-bearing-age women because it can cause birth defects. But I had just had a hysterectomy so no problem there. Yes, there are scary side effects and maybe even some unknowns, but I am acne free now for three years and it is the best thing I have ever done for myself. So, having said all that, I would find a good dermatologist who can tell you what kind of acne he has, and get him some good help for it. Try things, see what works, and use accutane as a last resort. I had two dermatologist tell me that pro-active was not good for your skin and one of them was my friend, not someone trying to make money off of me, so be careful about topical things he uses on his face. It might make things worse. (I used that too, and like I said, NOTHING worked for me.) Good luck! Acne is NO FUN!

I have a seventeen year old daughter who is going thru the same thing. We went to the dermatologist he prescibed Differen, plexon wipes and one other medication that I can't recall the name of right now. She used the medication dilegently for six weeks, nothing changed. We we back to the dermatologist and he told us that he thought things were proressing nicely in that she had no sign of an increased breakout. I'm not feeling like it's worth going back to the dermatologist to pay another co-pay and get new meds. So we have decided to try Proactive. I do know that it is very drying and arleardy warned my daughter about moisturing so we'll see what happens. Try reading one of Nicaulaus Perricone's books on the skin, however it may be difficutl to get a teenager to follow his guidelines.

Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful.

Hi E.,

I have had severe acne since I was 10 years old (I'm now 36). My best advice to you would be find a good dermatologist. Pro Active is usually a very good way to cure acne without a prescription and if it is not helpful then I think that he might be better off going to the dr before the scarring starts. I understand that you would prefer to handle this naturally, but as an acne sufferer I can tell you that there is not a lot out there for severe acne. I really wish that my mom had taken me to the dermatologost when I was a teenager but in my family you only went to the dr when you were sick. Sorry I couldn't give you more help!

I would recommend seeing a dermatologist. Retin-A has been a miracle for me. I also saw an ad the other day about a product by Clean & Clear. According to the ad, it's better than Pro-Activ. Here is the link.

http://www.cleanandclear.com/countdown/

1 / 3