Help for Grunting 2 Month Old

Hi -- my little guy has been grunting since he was born, mostly at night. He has been sleeping in his own room since he was 2 weeks old because he was keeping me up all night. Now it is the worst in the early morning. He begins grunting VERY loudly around 6 am, trying to pass or have a bowel movement. I know it is hard for infants to do so while lying on their backs, but my 3 year old never had this problem. He is not hungry but very uncomfortable and actually still a bit asleep. I have tried Mylacon, which does not work and recently have used Gripe Water, with little success as well. Any suggestions??

My daughter did the same thing. It used to keep me up at night. I was breastfeeding but giving her a bottle of Enfamil LIPIL with Iron at night before bed. Then I switched over to just Enfamil LIPIL with Iron. It just seemed to get worse. Mylican didn't seem to work for her either. So we decided to try Enfamil LIPIL Gentle ease. It took a few days for her to get used to the new formula, but it really helped her with her gas and now she sleeps better at night, which helps me to sleep better.

I have to agree with Denise S. My son did the same thing, and it drove us NUTS!!! He grunted all night like he was trying to push something out, but he really wasn't constipated.

We put him in his crib at 3 months, and I could still hear it on the monitor, but it slowly went away. I tried mylicon and all that stuff, too, and I really don't think it was necessary. There wasn't anything wrong. It was just the way he slept.

Don't worry about it, and turn the monitor down, so you can hear him when he cries, but tune out the grunting.

My son was the same way -- I had to move into his room so at least my husband could get some sleep! Like Denise, we also video taped it to show our pediatrician. He didn't seem concerned, but later we determined he had silent reflux (reflux without spitting up) and started him on Zantac. He quieted down after that! I think he was grunting to keep the milk down ... at least that is my best guess. However, it could have just been a coincidence and perhaps he would have quieted down on his own.

Hello! Give him some prune juice or food. Not alot but it should make his bowel movments softer or easier to come out! Good luck!

Have you tried doing bicycles with his legs often during the day? Also, you can give him a little water between feedings to hydrate him more and help loosen those stools. sorry! You know, a friend of mine had a very grunty baby. It was just how he was, those were his infant noises. Now he doesn't do it anymore and she misses it. It might just be "his" noises.

my daughter does in fact grunt when she has a bowel movement, while i know other babies that grunted when they slept, ate, went poo, or just played. he may be a loud baby, and be in that in between sleep/waking up time. my daughter moves her head back and forth violently making faces as if she is pain before she wakes up.
my daughter doesnt seem to have any more problem with bowel movements laying down vs upright.
imo, if he is doing this grunting then passing gas, thats what it is, and it might be because of swallowing air or what foods he is eating. try to burp more and figure out whats foods are causing it. if he grunts, and then has a BM, but the bowel movement isnt hard balls, he is NOT constipated, he is just a loud pooper. if he grunts, and passes bowels, and they are hard balls, he is constipated and i would contact your doctor. if he is doing this and not passing gas, or having a BM, thats just him. 6am is a very average time for a baby to wake. i really think he is just a noisy baby:)
prune juice will bring on bowel movements as they actually irritate the stomach lining causing you to go. but you shouldnt use prunes as a regulator, nor should you give them unless you are sure about constipation(not going doesnt mean constipation, only hard stools does). he will just grow up to be someone who pushes the snooze button a few times on the alarm clock as it takes him awhile to wake up.

Try these techniques when he is awake-

When baby's belly is rigid & he's crying:
1. Gently fold the baby's knees up to the tummy (as far as is comfortable), hold for 15 to 30 seconds and release.

2. Gently hold both of the baby's feet and move the legs one at a time, bending at the knees as if riding a bicycle for 30 seconds.

When the baby's belly is relaxed:
1. Using your fingers or hand, circle the belly button in a clockwise motion. This gets any remaining gas moving in the proper direction for the baby to easily pass it. Another way to do this is to rub clockwise "parentheses" around the belly button, i.e., if the belly button is the center of a clock, one hand moves from ten to one o'clock and the other from four to seven. Or the "I love you" technique which you can see on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ4HPREfBgo

2. Have the baby on his tummy and "walk" your fingers up his back. Make sure your fingers are on either side of his spine.

HTH :-)
-Kate

If you breastfeed.. I highly suggest YOU drinking warm milk with a gooooood amount of dark molasses in it.. lots of fiber.. it will help.

Sounds like mild constipation, yes? I know my son had issues at that age.. doctor made me give him a little PLAIN karo syrup.. the light kind.. worked well. But it's only for a once or twice issue. Call his ped.

If it's just noise.. it's something he will grow out of. No worries.

1 / 3