Help for Entertaining the Grandkids

Hello and HELP! I have my 9 and 6 year old granddaughters every Wednesday. The objective was to do things that their parents either don't have time or don't have money to do. I'll be *&^% if there isn't anything to do in this crazy town. I've tried to take them to the Children's museum 3 weeks in a row and it is really having trouble opening. And it is just too hot to do anything outside except swim and we are a little tired of that. Anybody out there have any suggestions?

http://www.hallofflame.org/
http://www.azontherocks.com/

Here are acouple of places that might be fun for for your grandkids. Also try getting an Entertainment Book, they have lots of ideas and buy one get one free coupons.

Another things is a hotel/resort. They have great deals and they are calling them "stay-cations". You might enjoy the mini "stay-cation" yourself. Some resorts have great pools with waterslides and Hyatt at Gainey has a pool that has sand that goes right into the pool, so you can go to the beach without going to beach!

Goodluck! Happy summer!
N.

Cooking and baking, crafts, scrapbooking, etc. are usually fun ideas for girls. It can be as simple or complex as your talents allow. You could even make a notebook (or scrapbook if so inclined) of favorite recipes and add pictures of times that remind you of those foods (e.g. Christmas pictures on the pages with some recipes of favorite Christmas cookies). Kids love looking at old photos. Are yours all organized? If not, they can help. Maybe they'd like to make a photo album for their parents of old photos. How blessed you are!!

Have you thought about bowling ? They even have "cosmic" bowling, where the lights are turned off, they use disco lights and everything (including the bowling balls) glow in the dark. Cabellas at the 101 freeway & Glendale is great. You can feed the fish, there are games and a cafe upstairs. Pump It Up has several locations and open jump times. Challenger Space Center on 83rd Ave between Union Hills and Deer Valley. Laserquest. Also there is a place called As you Wish Pottery painting, where you pick a piece of pottery and paint it. Makuto's Island in Chandler. Amazinh Jakes in Mesa. My-Tee Paintworks in Avondale where they paint tee-shirts. Herberger Theatre downtown.
Hope this helps !

My kids brought home this book of all sorts of free, or almost free activities during the summer. Some were the free visits at the art museum or Cerratas has free tours of their candy shop. I can't seem to remember where I put the book

My name is K. and I'm the "Mother of Family Ideas". There are plenty of free ideas on my website at http://www.winmarkcom.com and I've written a book titled "Mother Lode" with more than 5,000 ideas for activities for children that develop their imaginations and self-esteem. http://www.winmarkcom.com/motherlode.htm The ideas go from toddlers through teens with most for the age group that includes your grandchildren. Most are free or use simple materials that are not expensive. Good luck and have some fun together.

Are you near any of those indoor jumping places?? Nutin But Fun, Bounce U, Pump It UP...they are fun. Just call ahead for the hours when open to general public.
It is hot...are there any indoor lessons that might be fun to go to...martial arts, art, music etc?
Go to the library and get new books to read...that's cheap!

The AZ Science Center has some great activities and special exhibits geared to children. I think right now they have "Grossology" again, which is perfect for that age group : )
They also have a special on the Narnia movie, a planetarium, an Imax theatre and other science related / hands on / kid friendly rooms.

Also, the libraries always ahve a lot going on.

And there is a website called "showup.com" which has a tab for kid and family friendly events.

The other musuems around town may also have special activities for kids. I am pretty sure at elast the Heard Museum does.

Also, some of the best stuff for kids is just staying at home and doing something together with you 100% involved!

Hope this helps!

I don't know what part of the valley you are in but there are several splash parks and water parks located all over. Most of the splash parks are located in public parks and are free. I live in the west valley and we go to the Rio Vista Park quite often. Another fun idea are the indoor rock climbing facilities. All are supervised and kids are harnessed and can't get hurt.

Harkins also have a summer movie package. Just google Harkins summer fun and all the info will come up.

The library has lots of free things to so. The city of Peoria has several 1/2 day and all day summer camps for minimal expense. If you are not a Peoria resident it will cost a few dollars more but the expense is minimal.

Lastly, putt putt golf - there are indoor locations and there is also Jeepers in the east valley which is like an indoor amusement park. Encanto park which is downtown is fun. Early morning wouldn't be too bad, I think they may also have evening hours.

1 / 3