Help-Bleach Spot on New Carpet! Any Ideas?

Hello
I am looking for any help. We have neutral colored, mini-shag carpet and I accidently sprayed cleaner w/bleach on it. The spot is in the middle of the living room and about the size of a grapefruit. Just wondering if there is some secret trick or suggestions out there....besides a rug:) Thanks!

This is not an"educated response" but just a possibility...
First, call a rug place and ask them what they think

I have been getting together supplies for tie dying and have been learning about the process. With clothes (cotton, which might make a difference) if you want a good dye (not to fade) then you soak in soda ash water 30min. (maybe you could spray it on the area) and that will help the dye adhere to the fibers (increases pH blah blah blah)an dthen use a quality dye (look at an art supply store not crafts) and apply while wet from the soda ash water. If you start with a weaker color than the carpet and get stronger you may be able to patch it...
like I said, I've never done it but if you exhaust all else, what's left to loose...or buy a coffee table.

contact a carpet company. they may be able to suggest a product. You can also cut the square out and paste a new piece there. You may also consider having the carpet company dying the fabric back to the original color.

This happened to me, except ours was the size of 2 grapefruits. :) What we ended up doing was calling the carpet people. They got a free sample of our exact carpet, and did a patch. This way the entire carpet does not have to be replaced. It was much less expensive. You cannot tell at all that there was a patch placed there, no sems or anything. They cut out the bleached portion, and fit in the free sample patch like a puzzle.

Hope this helps!

I have a bizarre suggestion that I discovered by accident several years ago.

Depending on the color of your carpet, you might be able to stain the spot with ~ get ready ~ hair dye! If the carpet is a very pale wheat color, you might want to try the palest ash blonde shade you can find. if at all possible (if you have a scrap of carpeting you can test it on first), reproduce the bleached spot and then mix a small amount of permanent hair color. Apply it to the spot to check for an accurate color match.

Several years ago, I spilled a few drops of bleach on our beige carpet. At the time, I was lightening my dark brown hair to a medium brown by using a medium blonde ash shade. When I got a spot of it on a white towel, I noticed that it matched the color of my carpet. I applied a small amount to the bleached spot on the carpet and then dabbed up the excess right away. It blended in so well, no one can tell where the white spot used to be.

If you try this with Revlon's Colorsilk, it should cost less than $5 for the hair color, and it will be a permanent fix. But, as I said, only try it if you have a sample or scrap to test it on first!

The only other solution would be to find a pretty area rug to cover the spot. :(

How about a coffee table--just kidding!

I don't think you can put the color back, unfortunately. did you have the rug installed, or was it already there when you moved in? do you have any scraps left over? you may be able to cut out the spot that is stained and "plug" it with a scrap of the same size. You might want to ask your friendly neighborhood carpet installer about this, they may be good at this if you are reluctant to try. Also, if you had it installed you could call the place where you bought it, they may have a remnant or something of the same stuff left over.

hope this helps.

K. Z.

There is really nothing you can do. Carpet is a dyed fiber. Is your carpet a solid color or multi. If solid you can get the same color dye and dye it. If it is multi color I guess its time to replace it.

oopsie!! i did that once, but it was much bigger, the entire bottle spilled on my carpet,it was beige colored and right in the middle of the floor was about a 2ft section of solid white. i called my dad & asked him what to do, he said get a box of dye(sold in the laundry section) at walmart & mix it with 1/2 gallon of water & spray it on the area that needs to be colored & then set a fan by it on high & let it dry. he said to be careful not to walk on it until it's dry, something about lifting the color back out...i did it and was really shocked..dad knew what he was talking about....LOL. good luck & god bless.

We have had this happen to dark gray carpet! Contact the manufacturer, they make dye to match and they will recommend someone who can do it for you, or they will tell you how to do it yourself. Good Luck! C.

See The Youtube Video at www.carpetdyesticks.com (Dye Carpet cost) I have been in the carpet dyeing business for 28 years and because there were no good solutions for this problem I invented "carpet dye sticks" I think you will agree, they are simple to use and can cover all sorts of stains on carpet.

1 / 3