Help! Cod Liver Oil Smell in Clothes...

Anyone know how to get out the smell of Cod Liver Oil in cothes? I tried to give my 9 mth Cod Liver Oil unsuccessfully and he spit it out on his clothes. I washed a few loads of laundry and got the WHOLE LOAD smelling! Help! I googled this and have tried all the options I could find.....soaking in baking soda, vinegar, Nature's Miracle, and lastly Dawn soap. The smell is STILL there. Any ideas? THANKS

Hi J.! Yeah, I know of a great de-odorizer called SOLUMEL. I
have been telling all kinds of women about it...it completely took dog pee smell from my son's mattress and I shampooed my carpets with it and it kept me from having to replace the carpet
(I thought I'd NEVER get the smell out of this old carpet!). It really, really WORKS! I girl I knew when I lived in California can tell you more about it.....e-mail Sarah at
by the way...if you are desperate, I have a half a bottle left!
:>) J.

Hi J.!
There is a website called smelly washer.com I recommend for anything. You probably got it on the inside basin of the washer and smeared it with the washing. Any oil is hard to remove but this stuff works wonders!
Good luck, I was impressed.
~A. N. from Bend, OR

Try wrapping the clothes in newspaper for awile. Newspaper absorbes smells pretty good. I wish you luck and I hope you can get the smell out.

J., I haven't had issues with odor after trying vinegar--however, since it hasn't been mentioned in other replies, I thought I would let you know (if you don't already) they make a product for hunters to add to their laundry which is supposed to remove all odors. Apparently it works as intended but I've never tried it--and am not a fan of hunting. You should be able to find it in a store geared towards hunters/fishermen etc. like Cabelas. Good luck!

:>) J.

My husband is a fuel tanker, and so I've dealt with smell of fuel on his clothes and tried all kinds things like you did. Well I met a couple in store, the man use to be fuel tanker also and told me to use 2 cans of Coca-cola Classic in your load with detergent and will take smell right out. It worked for me. I've also gone cheap and tried using generic colas but it is not a guarantee. Try it and post if it works. Thanks!

I was going to say Dawn dish soap, but you tried that. Maybe try more Dawn. How long did you soak it in Dawn. Maybe soak overnight in plenty of dawn. Then, rinse with the vinegar or hydrogen peroxide or lemon juice. Lemon goes well with fish. JK

New thought: Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap might help. The peppermint oil could bind with the cod liver oil to help wash it away.

I'm not sure if this will work, but here goes... I had one of my cats pee on a blanket and pillow, and one of my daughters' dress up princess dress, and I used Simple Solution. They carry it at Petco. There's one that you pour on the carpet undiluted, and one you can use in your steam cleaner and laundry that is concentrated. I used the concentrated one for the steam cleaner and laundry. No trace of cat pee smell. Dunno if it will work on cod, but just thought I'd let you know what actually killed cat pee smell! (Just make sure you let it sit on the clothes for the whole time like it says.) Best of luck!

I was going to suggest vinegar, but since you've already tried that...how about febreeze? I sometimes have to go to that extreme with my husband's work clothes. I let the clothes spin in the dryer for a few minutes then open it up and spray several times. Most of the time it works doing that just once, but I like to check after 10 minutes or so to make sure it doesn't need another dose!

AVON Skin So Soft Bubble Bath. A cap full cleans out mechanics grease and other hard/stubborn stains. You can use the sensitive skin one if you have allergies like I do or try a scent... it smells lovely when you are washing but will do linger after the dryer. I tried this after one of my fellow avonian's did a test. I sell via my website and offer Free shipping anywhere in the USA. One small cap full does the work of one huge capful of regular stuff! Also, you can mix the cod liver oil in their breastmilk/formula. Get the lemon flavored kind and mix in food too. This worked for my babies when they were tiny:)
checkout-www.youravon.com/csurber

1 / 3