Help! Almost 9 Month Old with Bad Cold! Can't Breath Well/sleep at Night!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! My almost 9 month old son came down with a horrible cold this weekend that finally manifested in the stuffy/runny nose, cough & congestion, low fever Monday night. He is attached to his pacifier - and wants it - especially now - to sleep - but he can't breath out of his nose! He gets very frustrated & sleeps for a little while - but then wakes up - and then for some odd reason - wakes up in the middle of the night (1 or 2am) and can't get comfortable until - oh 4 or 5 am! I am dying! I work full time out of the house and his dad and I do not live together & right now - he is not a help at all! I have tried a cool mist humidifier, putting a wedge under one end of his mattress, rubbing vicks on his chest & under his nose, using saline spray (that was not fun!) - any other suggestions? I'm living on 4 hours of very broken sleep & starting to feel so run down & sick myself! Anyone have any tricks they know to help their little ones w/colds sleep?

put the vics vapor rub on his feet and put socks on them or the footy pjs...sounds crazy, but it worked with both my kids. I didn't put it on their chest or nose or anyplace but the feet...

I tried vicks plug ins and my daughter's coughing at home has improved greatly- maybe you should give it a try! Good luck

Hi, try turning on the shower(hot water) and allowing the steam to fill the bathroom. Take the baby into the restroom, while the shower is still running, sit in the bathroom w/ the door closed for about 30-45mins. You can either wrap him in a towel or keep his clothes on, but hold him to you. This has always worked for mine, I pray it works for u.
p.s.You can also rub the Vick on b4 you take him into the bathroom.

You have to use the bulb. It's unpleasant for the baby and you, but it clears his mucus. My son has a cold and he is very, very strong, but I prevail, because I know he needs to be able to breath when he sleeps. I first put the saline in to loosen some of the mucus and then I aspirate his nose with the bulb. He cries, but feels better after I kiss and hug him and give him his bottle and he can actually drink it!!

Hello,
Well both my boy's were able to take Benadryl at 8 months old.
It will help him sleep and will help to clear up his nose.
17 to 21 pounds is 3/4 teaspoon 22/27 pounds is 1 teaspoon.
check with your DR. to make sure they are ok with it.
L. B

You have got to get this for your babies stuff nose http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2585646

This is the BEST thing on the market!!!! I LOVE IT! It works GREAT and is very easy to use.
Good luck with your little one, colds are a stinker. Hope he's better fast!

Hello J.,
Something that has always worked for me and my daughter is rubbing the vicks vapor rub on our feet then putting socks on right before bed. This works so much better than putting the vicks on their nose or chest. Anyone who has ever tried it says it works so much better for them also. I also wanted to tell you that Arbonne has a great vapor rub that is botanically based, and doesnt have such a strong smell or greasy feel to it. If you are interested in trying it, please let me know. Wish you the best of luck! I know it is so hard to sit back and feel so helpless when your little ones are sick!

Have you tried sitting in the bathroom with a hot steamy shower running?? Always helped my boy's sleep better if suffering from congestion. Also, I'm sure the saline was difficult, but keep trying that. Don't give up, this too shall pass.
N.-Nutrition Naturally
www.jp4ahealthieryou.com

Ugh! You're busy. I'd be surprised if you have time to read this. If you run the hot water in the shower with the door closed the bathroom will steam up. Take him in there for about ten minutes and the hot air should make his nose run and help him breathe for a while. Might help to put him to sleep with the plug.

I'm a mother of 4 (4,7,11,14) please keep an eye on this so it doesn't turn into anything worse. Make sure you keep him as cleared out as possible. Plenty of water or juice, so the mucus stays loose, saline nose drops and vicks on the feet at night with socks. I also used the bulb syringe to clear out the nose. I know none of my children liked it but I would tell them as I was doing it and after I was done, that "Yeah!! you can breath." You can call your Dr. to see if there is anything over-the-counter you can give him, at least at night, to help both of you get some sleep. My Dr. would put my kids on DAllergy or Donatussin only at night. Good Luck with everything!!
C. B.

1 / 3