Help! a Crayon Went Through the Dryer!

I took out my laundry this morning and found the entire load covered in orange crayon. (This is why I should have checked the pockets of my two year old!!!)
Has anyone had this happen? Is there anything I can do to get the crayon out? It is literally on every single piece of clothing in the load.

Thanks so much for all the advice! I really appreciate the moms who took the time to reply and let me know what has helped them! I started with what seemed easiest and cheapest (baking soda in the laundry), but it didn't work. (I think orange must be a very strong dye color). I've also tried the Nars-Rapha (spelling?) bar, which has gotten alot out, but is pretty labor intensive, and the M-30, which worked about the same as the Nars-Rapha. Next stop WD-40! Also, and extra thanks to the mom who reminded me that it's just clothing. I needed that perspective!

My mom always got wax out of my clothes by laying newspaper on the spot and ironing over it with a really hot iron. I dont know how it would work after being through the washer. Hope this helps.

Been there done that! My daughter left a red crayon in her pocket. I used WISK. I used a toothbrush and hit everyspot that I could find. It was a little time consuming, but well worth it. Every spot came out.

I recently spilled candle wax on a black skirt....a LOT of it & thought it was ruined. But my daughter suggested putting paper towels under the spot & paper towels over the spot & pressing it with a hot iron. I used several paper towels each time & just kept doing it until all the spots were out. It ALL came out & I just threw it in the laundry & not a hint of anything ever having been on it. Worth a try! Good luck!

My youngest snuck home some crayons from the Corner Cafe and hid them in her coat pocket (she knows she is not supposed to take them from resturaunts). I was washing coats and jackets and low and behold had purple, red, yellow and blue crayon all over our winter coats and jackets. Yeah! WD40 did the trick. I sprayed it all over in the garage on newspaper and let them sit, then put them in the wash in the hotest water possible and washed them with just soap. Then washed them again two more times, the third time used fabric softener. Crayola recommends WD40 also. I now keep a supply in the house, just in case. Good Luck and remember it is only clothes.

You might try a search for the Crayola site. I am sure this is a problem that they have run upon many times before. Personally, I forgot to take a lipstick out of my uniform pocket and had to get an emergency reissue of uniforms while seeking a solution. The administration was not amused.

As to the sleep issue. You are day dreaming if you think that you will EVER sleep well at night after having children. At the elementary school level, you will be up at night baking cookies or cupcakes they forgot to tell you about until the night before they were needed. Middle school is not that much different. You will find that you are up at night finishing costumes for school plays or researching some obscure subject to help them along. High schoolers cause sleep deprivation as you deal with your babies growing up and away from you. Social and emotional issues will keep you pondering late into the night. When they go away to college, well.......... you are excused from the baking and research, but have to deal with your own separation issues and convincing the young adults that they are there on your money. The intent is to study, not party, and how many credit card promoters have given them a t-shirt to sign up?

After college, they choose a mate that you just KNOW is all wrong for them, so you are up all night praying that it all works out. Then there are the grandchildren, cuter, of course than anyone elses, but you just KNOW that your kids just have NO idea about how to raise children. If they are happy and doing well, you worry that something will happen to spoil it. If they are unhappy and opt for divorce, you will not sleep, just trying to find ways not to say "I told you so"

Oh, yes, and during the last 2-3 phases you are worrying about your children, you also add the issues of aging parents and their care.

Been there, done all that and have worn out the T-shirt. Happily, I am older (66) and see the futility of worry. The 'kids' are now between the ages of 27-47. Most of the grandchildren are in their teens.

Just when you think that sleep will be returning to your life, there are your own health issues and aches and pains to deal with.

It is all worth it. It is the circle of life for parents, and I would not trade one sleepless night for all of the gold in the world...............I take lovely afternoon naps :)

Iron the spots between brown paper bags(grocery bags) until all the wax is removed. Then if some of the color remains use a stain remover, this usually works well. The stain remover that comes with Dryelle (spelling?) works great. I'm a mom of 4 young adults 3 boys and 1 girl
ages 21,20,19 boys,17 girl lots of experience! lol!!
good luck sure hope it works for you
P.

Oh, and as for the question in your a "little about me section".
NO

I know crayola use to put out a brochure. Nowadays, you can probably go to their website and get the best advise. Good Luck!

The exact same thing happened to me several months ago. I was told to go to the crayola web stie. I did what crayola suggested and it worked like a charm. Our laundry was saved.

that happened to my mom, and she sprayed a little RESOLVE carpet cleaner, dabbed it in, and let it sit over night, and then washed it, and it came right out. Try that. Resolve is also really good on all stains. Good luck

I think EVERYONE has gone through this at one time or another. The iron set on low, using papertowels to soak up the crayons is painstakingly slow, but it does work!

You can also try this tip from debt-proof living:

"After a pack of crayons went through the dryer and melted on all of my sons clothes, I tried Fels-Naptha laundry bar soap (available at supermarkets or <A href='http://www.SoapsGoneBuy.com'&gt;Soaps Gone Buy</a>) as a last resort. I wet the bar and then rubbed it on the dampened clothing. I first used my fingernail to scrape and the melted crayon came right off. For bigger spots, I switched to a fingernail brush and the crayon spots came right off!I washed again and there were no traces of crayon at all!"

If you still have stains in the dryer, here is a tip from cheapskate monthly:

"What a mess if you ever get gum or crayons melted inside the dryer. Here’s what to do: Get some old towels, pop them in the dryer and run on hot for a few minutes to soften the wax/gum. Now make a paste of Cascade automatic dishwasher detergent and hot water. With a damp cloth use this paste to scrub off the gum/wax. Go over the entire inside of the dryer, then make sure you rinse it off well. Run a load of old towels just to make sure it’s all gone."

I bought some fels-naptha and it has taken out stains that were DECADES old in my hubby's clothes!

<><

Here's what www.crayola.com had to say about getting crayons out of fabrics. Good Luck!
How to remove Crayons (Regular) from fabrics-fresh stains/heat-set stains(melted):

Cleaning Materials
Laundry detergent
Liquid dishwashing detergent
WD-40® (car part lubricant)
Bleach for colored clothing (Clorox 2® or Biz®)
Paper towels
Amodex® ink & stain remover

Stain Removal Tips
Procedure using WD40:

If you need more info on the topic you can go to the Support tab on the site and it will walk you through it. Again, good luck! And let me know if it works....

1 / 3