HELP!! 29 Weeks Pregnant and in Horrible Pain!

hello again moms! i need your advice once again....i am now 29 weeks pregnant with #2 and i am in horrible pain. the pain is generally located in my pubic bone and occasionally in my left hip, but more the pubic bone than anything else. it feels like everything is swollen down there, it hurts to cross my legs while sitting...i have to pull my leg onto the other one just to sit like that, it feels really weird when walking too, thats when i realized things are swollen.....the other night i got up to tend to my 2 year old and it hurt so bad i almost had to drag myself up the steps to get back to his room. i mean i could barely walk, i was almost in tears it hurt so bad. i had talked to the doctor about it at my last appointment and she said it's nothing and to take tylenol if it bothers me that much. well....tylenol doesnt work for me for pain like that, just headaches if im lucky....i read online that she should have done a pelvic exam to make sure nothing was broken/fractured and to make sure im not dialated. my question is, has anyone else experienced this and what did you do to help ease the pain and what was the outcome..i.e.did you have a large baby, did you deliver early, etc? staying in bed really isnt an option for me being i have a 2 year old that i chase around all day, but i do rest and/or sit frequently throughout the day as to not make it any worse. is this something i should be worried about or is it normal? i know that there are many discomforts in the last trimester but i didnt have this with my first...i didnt have any problems with him actually. i just need some help as to what i can do to ease the pain until the baby arrives...all advice is appreciated! thank you!

Its possible the baby is engaged. My son was head down and engaged at 24 wks! I felt like that for the remainder of my pregnancy. It wasn't fun, but atleast I knew he wasn't going to end up breech.

I had that with my third baby (but for me it was all of the 3rd Trimester and part of the 2nd).

It has to do with where and how the baby is sitting (and for me it also had to do with the shape of her head). She was sitting low and had an oblong head.

As it was explained to me: the Pubic Bone has two pieces, one on top of the other. When I'd walk, use stairs and other activities one bone was grinding on the other.

I know it hurts like nothing else, and I'm sorry for your pain. I found no relief (which obviously won't help you feel better as you likely have 10 wks or so of this to look forward to). The hip is likely the baby sitting on a nerve.

You can take Tylenol. Also, maybe try soaking in baths or a pool if possible (may relieve some pressure) though it will only help while you're doing it.

Mostly, just keep in mind that pregnancy (for most women) often gets harder and more painful with each subsequent pregnancy. You may need to cut back on activity with the rest of this particular pregnancy and keep yourself in situations where 'lady-like' sitting is not such a priority. Your hips are opening more and sooner, this time, than before (hence the discomfort when trying to cross your legs). Try to keep your feet up more. I know that sounds laughable as you have 2 yr old to keep up with- I understand as my two youngest are only 18mo apart...!

If it helps at all: I did NOT have this problem with any of my other pregnancies - only the third.

Oh, I've since heard that a good Chiropractor may be able to relieve some of this pain. I recommend an awesome one if you need.

You probably have Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (or SPD). I had it with both my pregnancies, but it was much worse with my second. Rolling over in bed and getting our of bed were excruciating. Walking was very painful. I asked to be induced a week early b/c I couldn't handle it anymore. I never had imaging done to prove it, but my symptoms were obvious. It's caused by the space between your public bone widening by mere millimeters more than the norm. Obstetricians in this country are totally dismissive of it, but I was able to get some relief from a chiropractor. I never took any medications. I couldn't imagine they would help anyway. You should avoid yoga and anything that requires you to spread your legs (until you're delivering!). Keep them together and sleep with a pillow between your legs. I had to use the pillow at least 4 months post-partum too. My babies were not large and neither am I, but I do have a history of lax joints and pelvic alignment issues. I don't want more kids, and knowing that this condition would get worse in future pregnancies is good birth control!! Here's a link with more info:
http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm
This last trimester will not be easy. Try finding a chiropractor with experience with pregnant women. I went to Arlington Neck and Back Center - Dr. Maggs. They have offices in Gainesville too.
The good news for me is that natural delivery didn't make it worse. I was induced and skipped the epidural probably because I was so used to a high degree of pain down there! Sorry if this is what's hapenning to you. Get help on your own, don't let your doctor blow you off.

I agree with the posting that spoke of SPD. Time for a good chiropractor that specializes in pregnancy. I have several referrals in the MD, DC and VA area.
Also, I'd be concerned about a caregiver who dismisses this pain and tells you to take a tylenol! I'm not surprised though. I'd run to the nearest midwifery practice where they are woman centered and know about SPD and will listen to you and take plenty of time with you each visit.
Please feel free to contact me for referrals to a chiropractor and/ or a midwifery practice. ____@____.com
L. M
Birthbliss
HypnoBirthing childbirth education and birth doula services in the MD,DC, and Northern VA area.

I hade this problem with my third baby. The only way that I could control it was to make sure I sat as much as I could. Try not to walk for any long distance. I am sorry to say that there isn't much you can do other than that. I did not deliver any earlier with my third baby, but the pain did seem to lesson the further along I was. Just hang in there and good luck!

Sounds like the baby is pushing on nerves and spreading your pelvis. My pelvis didn't spread but my rib cage did. Same type pain but I couldn't breath without pain either. I found Yoga and stretching helped. Moving helped more than resting for me.

I had that problem. And every once in a while (later in the pregnancy it was anywhere from 2-5 times a day) I'd get a crippling pain shooting down my leg. It was my sciatic nerve. My little angel was just kicking it or something and literally made me fall over twice because of it-the pain was that bad. Unfortuantely, drugs didn't help, and there wasn't anything the dr. could do about it. It was just however my daughter was moving. Good luck!

i would check with your doctor to be sure but it could be just regular pains. i had intense pelvic/lower back pain with all 3 pregnancies and it got worse each time. with the 3rd, i was limping and having a lot of trouble standing, sitting, and walking. turns out that my sons face was crammed into my pelvis so badly that his face was entirely purple with bruising when he came out. i am one of those women not built for child birth and had to have an emergency c with my 1st and the other 2 were scheduled. i would suggest having a pelvic exam just to make sure that the baby's positioned ok but, other than that, it sounds like it could just be regular pregnancy woes. i agree with the bath. it's messy but put a towel in the tub so you have cushion on your tailbone and lower back. the hardness of the tub always aggravated my discomfort. hope that helps! good luck!

Hi TC,

Sounds like you could be out of alignment, I would get to a good chiropractor right away! Not sure where you are located, I know some great ones in the Hampton Roads area. If you want their info you can email me at ____@____.com luck, S.

1 / 3