Height and Age of First Menstration

I've heard that the earlier you have your first period, the most likely you are to be shorter than if you got it later. Actually, so far I have found mixed results. Both my mom and my MIL had their first period at 9. My MIL is 5' 7'', my mom is 5' 4''. I had my first period at 12. I am 5' 6''. A mom at my girl scout troop is 5' 10'' and she had hers at 16. Another mom at girl scouts is about 5'3'' and she had hers at 9..

I'm sure genetics have to do a lot with both (the age you have it and the height), but I just was wondering how true it actually is, especially since my mom is totally average height and my MIL is even taller- but they but hit puberty early...

This is coming from also the fact that my daughter's predicted "first period" will be when she's about 9 -predicted by the pediatrician. Currently shes one of the tallest in her class and is pretty slender... Not that I'm too concerned- just curious:)

Thanks In Advance!

I took a child development class in college and it has to do with weight. The magic number is supposedly 110 pounds.

I was told by my pediatrician that menstruation is tied to body fat. Usually, girls hit a percentage of body fat in order to begin menstruating. I was a very scrawny girl. I didn't start my period until I was almost 16. I was totally freaked out because I was the ONLY person I knew that hadn't started their period yet. My mom was of similar frame and build, and she didn't start until she was the same age. So while heredity has something to do with it, so does body fat. And neither of us are tall- average I would say.

I'm guessing from everyone's answers that height has nothing to do with it. Although, I started sort of late at 14 1/2 and I'm now 5'8". Don't know if it has anything to do with body fat either. I was a chunky kid (even though I was a competitive swimmer, I was NEVER the skinny - or even slender - girl!) I slimmed out after I got my period. My daughter will be 10 this summer. Better start the talk - YIKES!

From what our Pediatrician said, it depends on a child's BMI. (body mass index, as well).
And he said, that he seems to notice, that physically active/athlete type girls, get it later.
This is his observation... not some scientific study.
Also, also perhaps, it 'seems'..... 'robust' girls, may develop breast buds and maybe periods, earlier... as I have 'heard' that a girls' weight... also triggers 'when' a period starts.....
Don't know the scientific studies on that.

Girls, also seem to be getting their periods, earlier.
My friend who has 2 girls, noticed this when her girls, were 9.

I got mine at 12.
When I was that age, that seemed to be when the girls, got it.

gosh! I don't know if that is true or not... hmmm.

I am 5'5" today and I was 11 when I had my first period. My mom was 12 (I think) and she is 5'10". My grandmother on my dad's side is 5'9" and she was 11 or 12...

Those are the only people I know when they started hmm...

I was a bean-pole as a child and I am the "shorty" of the family. Everyone predicted I would grow up to be a tall, skinny, supermodel type person... nope- genetics FAIL! Haha! I think you are likely to have your period about the same age as your mother or grandmothers did... and you will probably be about the same height as your parents. The only thing that I have heard affects the age of menstruation is strenuous hardcore athletics or being very underweight or very overweight... I also heard *somewhere* that in general girls are starting puberty younger than they did in the past... hmm...

Who knows? As long as she is healthy - she'll be fine!

-M.

I was 9 when I first started and I'm 5'7" now.

I got mine at 12 and am 5'9.

Well, any time you look at a sample of only three people, it's not likely going to prove or disprove an assumption like this :-)

My mom and I got ours at 13 and we are (were) 5'4". My stepdaughter didn't get hers until she was 15 and she is now 5'11". So that would be in line with the theory.

Maybe there is a correlation between first period and growth slowdown. By that I mean, maybe most of us only get our periods once we've done most of our growing. But I'm not an expert on puberty by any means!

I was 12, and at that point I was about 5'9" and weighed around 110 lbs, I think. (I am now 6' tall.)

I'm a little terrified that so many people are saying 9 years old. Really?! That seems very young - I guess I'd better talk to my 8 year old about this. I figured I had a few more years... =-/

1 / 3