Heartburn While Pregnant

Hi Mom's --

I am pregnant and experiencing heartburn really badly (especially at night) -- At times, its so uncomfortable I can't sleep.
Anyone have any safe natural solutions to keep this at bay.
Thanks,

Sleep in an upright position; try migrating to your couch and prop up your back so that you are almost sitting up. Try not to eat anything for several hours before bed. Especially avoid spicy and greasy foods that would cause indegestion. Get to know Tums - they can be your best friend and as a boost they also have calcium added. You may have to resort to a prescription for Prevacid or something like that. While you are pregnant, the body releases hormones that cause all your muscles to relax; that helps your hips move and get ready for delivery, but unfortunately that can also make the esophagus relax and it does not do its job well while you are pregnant. good luck. this shall all pass.

I said a prayer for you this morning.

Grandma in Keller, TX

I had this very bad when I was pregnant with my first child. It was actually acid reflux and I felt like I was eating Tums all the time. The only thing that actually worked for me was Maalox or Mylanta...check with your doc first. Try to eat your last meal of the day no later than 6pm. Try to prop yourself up slightly whil sleeping. This should help some. Mine didn't go away until about 3 months after the baby was born.

i had acid reflux terribly with my first son and i just finished reading all of the responses. make sure you dont drink water hours before you go to bed, and i wouldnt drink milk either because all that is doing is giving the acid in your stomach something to get stirred up over as you are trying to go to bed. my biggest saving grace which surprises me that no one else mentioned was several small meals not a big dinner. i would eat a third to half of what i would normally eat at once and it cut my heartburn down drastically and if i ever splurged and say ate a whole hamburger for dinner, i would pay the price and be up all night fighting the burn. the smaller the meal, the less in your stomach, the less acid produced to break it all down, the less amount of acid working back up your esophagus. plus tums, mylanta, all that stuff never did a thing for me. good luck

Tums are your new best friend! :) They are absolutely safe. Try the soothies/smoothies (sorry can't remember which word.) They are not so chalky, so they won't trigger your gag reflex.
If you are serious about completely natural, you can try BioSET Gastrocalm - herbal designed to help with gastrointestinal issues. You have to find a practitioner that sells them. They are not OTC. Contact me if you are interested.
hth

I remember the pain like it was yesterday! I would get heart burn so bad at night. Especially after I ate pizza. I knew it triggered it, but I craved it! I would prop myself up on the couch to sleep after several tums.

Tums were my friend during pregnancy. They're safe and full of calcium.

I had horrible heartburn too! I tried all the home remedies to keep everything natural, but the only thing that worked was Mylanta... I had no adverse effects - only relief! And if you haven't already heard this, I propped myself up on pillows, too. That helped with everything!

1 / 3