Heart Murmur Diagnosis

My daughter (she is 3 1/2 now) was born with a heart murmur but the doctors never acted like it was that big of a deal. Last week at a regular doctor's appointment I saw some concern on the doctor's face when she listened to her heart. She told me the murmur was still there and they are sending her out to a pediatric cardiologist to have it evaluated. I can't help but feeling like there is more to the story than what the doctor told me and I am hoping she is just being overly cautious. Has anyone here ever had a child with a heart murmur? Did he/she outgrow it? I am interested in hearing about anyone's experience with this whether it was good or bad. I am making myself not research it on the internet because I will fill my mind with horrible worst case scenarios. Our appt. is July 28th and that is way too long for my mind to go crazy!

Did you ask the doctor if there is mroe than what they are telling you? SOmetimes you have to pry it out of them =. Just tell them to be frank with you about everything. After all you are her parent and an adult. otherwise you have every right to go to a different doctor!

My daughter is 7 years old and still has a heart murmur. She is doing great with it. Don't worry to much, some of us have a heart murmur and some of us don't. It's just the way we are put together.

Hi! My son also was diagnosed, at his first checkup, with a heart murmur. They aparently did not hear it in the hospital, but he did. I was worried sick. I called my mom when I got home and told her. She told me that I had had a heart murmur when I was a baby too. It has closed, I am fine, and I had no idea. My son got checked out again too, but they think his has also closed. He is now just-turned-two and just fine. I am sure there are instances when it can be serious, but I hope you don't worry too much. My doctor would only send my son to a specialist just to make sure. But either way, you and your family are in my prayers.

I wouldn't be too concerned. I am a little surprised that they are just now having it checked out. My son now 4 was born with a heart murmur and he still has it. They did an echocardiogram and it is an "innocent" murmur. He will probably always have it, but there are no issues or complications. Was your child sick at the last appointment? For some reason my doctor said that when the child is sick the murmur is more pronounced. Good luck and keep positive I'm sure it is all fine.

my son was born with a murmer. He had ASD/VSD....basically twp holes in his heart that caused the murmer. He had seen a cardiologist from birth (now 3). They said they are really common. He has outgrown one of the holes and the other hole is closing. He later developed Pulmonic Stenosis, which is more serisous...but he is uneffected by it. We just have regular checkups with the cardiologist and he watches it.

Don't play worse case scenerios...just pray and see the doctor.

I was born with a heart mumur that was not found until I was 6 or 8 years old. It was found at my annual exam and they heard a very faint swishing sound when they listened to my heart. We did several XRays and they found that it was the size of the head of a straight pin. I had the evaluation with the cardiac specialist to determine the course of action follow - surgery or wait to see if it closed on it's own. Since it did not affect me physically they decided to just keep an eye on it and I was seen by a doctor at least 2 times a year. We lived in MN and the Mayo clinic had a free clinic they held certain months for people who could not afford to come to the Mayo Clinic but needed that level of care. My mother was raising 5 kids on her own so we qualified. The murmur slowing closed over the years and at age 14 it was completely closed - could not be heard or seen on Xrays. I have not had any problems since then and I am 41 years old. Wait to see what the cardiac specialist says. Even if they do decide to do open hear surgery she can still lead a very active life. I played volleyball with a girl that had open heart surgery as a child and she was very athletic. I am planning to have a child within the next 2 years and this is not even a concern for the doctors. I have no blood pressure issues or any heart related health issues. I hope hearing from someone who had the same health issue as a child gives you some peace and helps you with the anxiety I know you are feeling at this time. Just remember God will provide and protect. God's blessings on your family.

Heart murmurs can indicate various heart "defects." I was born with a heart murmur and the doctor actually told my parents not to get too attached to me. My eventual diagnosis was pulmonary stenosis. (basically, a valve that is not open wide enough) I had surgery at 3.5 years old. These days, they would likely do angioplasty rather than open heart surgery. Anyway, children are very resiliant. I don't remember any pain, only gifts and all of the attention. I am a happy, healthy married mother of three girls. None of my children have any heart problems. I have no ill effects from the surgery. I still have a murmur that facinates new doctors, but is not a signal of a problem. With today's medical advances, if the doctors find anything, it will likely be an easy fix. Just remember that your child is not turning blue and has not shown signs of a problem for 3.5 years. If there was a bad problem, she would have likely had signs of it. You are smart not to read scary things on the internet before the appointment.

I had one when I was born but outgrew it. I think your doctor is right to have it checked out if it is still persisting when your daughter is 3 and a half. I don't have any further expertise to offer except see what the tests say and consult another doctor if you aren't sure about a diagnosis.

I am mom to 3 boys ages almost 2, 5 and almost 12. The 12 yr old was diagnosed with a heart murmur at around 4 yrs. We too were refered to the pediatric cardiologist for an EKG. They confirmed the murmur calling it a "regular irregularity." In other words, it is normal for him. He has never had an once of trouble with it. I do need to take him back for a follow up, they said every 5 years. It has been over 7 now. The Dr. said he could outgrow it, but it shouldn't cause him any trouble. It hasn't! He is very active in sports and is a normal boy. I hope this eases your mind a little. Good luck.

1 / 3