Healthy Snacks for 1 Year Old?

I usually give him a slice of bread with cheese OR yogurt OR banana (or some other fruit). Any other healthy ideas that are easy to take to daycare? Is what I listed OK for qty/variety?

What you give him currently is great!

The only stipulations the American Academy of Pediatrics has in place are to avoid foods that are known family food allergens (if any) or those that may pose a choking hazard.

This time of year, my kids liked having as much fresh fruit as possible. Our kids are now 2 and 4, but at a year, they were eating strawberries, blackberries, bananas, blueberries, cantoloupe, pears, apples, etc.

Our kids also loved string cheese and American cheese slices from the deli (white American) as snacs, edamame, graham cracker sticks, animal crackers, applesauce, pretzel sticks, cereal, oyster crackers, Goldfish.

They both currently love Danimals yogurt smoothies or dipping pretzels into yogurt (better than it sounds).

In addition to fresh food options, I'd just keep an eye on the amount of sodium/sugar in the foods. At a year, they need the fat in their diets, but sodium/sugar can be an issue with a lot of canned and prepackaged foods.

Here's what the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends on their parenting site:
http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/toddle...
http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/f...

Nutri-grain bars, my 18 month old loves them and they are soft and easy to eat. Applesauce, Gerber puffs-my son loved these at that age and they come in all kids of varieties and Target sells their own brand that is exactly the same and cheaper, crackers if he has any teeth,that's all I got, hope it helps.

How about crackers (Ritz) , bread sticks, cuccumber slices , you could make pancakes and he could eat them cold (without maple syrup). Cereal bars (you can buy some that are for babies/toddlers). Gerber make a range of snacks likes puffs and wheels. What you listed is ok , but may get boring if he has the same stuff all the time.

I think your choices are great. Healthy, nutritious and varied.
My daughter usually gets a serving of fruit a the morning snack. The good thing with fruit is that is variety! (bananas, apples, strawberries, blueberries, grapes, pears, mandarines, kiwi fruits, etc) She is now 14 months old and I just introduced strawberries and stopped cutting out blueberries. I still cut the grapes. She also gets raisins, prunes, dried mango and apricots. She also gets canned fruits from time to time (in water or pear juice, not in heavy syrup).
For the afternoon snack, I give her more grains. Bread, pita, bagels, crackers with or without spread (peanut butter just introduced, tzatziki, hummus, fruit preserves). She usually has yogurt as dessert, but sometimes she gets it for a snack, same for cheese.

What you listed is good. Also might try ripe peeled peaches, pears, cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon. Applesauce. Cheerios.

The really great thing about 1 year olds is they eat about anything! Keep what you have but mix it up! Try bagels or mini bagels, or even bagel chips or pita chips (baked, not fried). Dried fruit is great, I prefer the freeze dried kind (I find it at whole foods) but either one is great. You could even do veggies...keep cooking them at that age, but small carrots or even broccoli. Even if they're cooked, you could add some low fat ranch dressing too. At that age, my daughter loved hummus. You can put it on crackers or dip pretzels in it. You could also roll up some cheese and lunch meat together and just serve them like that. My daughter also loved salami just out of the package. Seriously, most 1 year olds I know eat just about anything, so go crazy cuz it won't last forever!!! ;)

1 / 3