Healthy Recipes

My husband and I would like to start eating a little healthier and I love to try new recipes. We are not picky and we have a 17 month old son who is not picky either. We dont eat unhealthy now but would love it if anyone is willing to share any recipes they have that are somewhat easy and cheap to make as we are on a tight budget. We would like to try and incorporat more veggies, fruit, etc into our diets so im looking for some easy different recipes to do that since just plain veggies can get boring after a while. thanks for any suggestions!

I dont have any specific recipes but anything can go on a pizza crust (2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder, pinch of salt, 2 tbls butter, and add milk til it makes a good dough ball, roll it out in pan bake for 5 mins take it out top it and bake for about 20 more mins) or in a pot pie. For quick veggies birds eye has Vegatable steamers called Steam Fresh in the frozen food aisle we buy a bunch when they are on sale usually around a 1 dollar a pack and then we have veggies in only 5 mins.

Here is an interesting link you may want to check out:

http://www.nikchick.com/recipes/nikcooks.html

Also, there are several ways that you can save money shopping in addition to trying to eat healthy. With 6 kids, I can say that I use this system and spend less than $300 a month TOTAL on groceries (including milk and other items that I have to buy weekly) :)

Plan your meals in advance. I do a menu once a month for the entire month, even planning on eating out once every two weeks, and picking one night a week for an "easy meal". Once the menu is finished, I figure all the groceries that I will need for the month. I do all of my grocery shopping at Aldi once every 4 weeks for a huge discount. If you haven't shopped at Aldi before, go there and get a handle on the "rules" before you make your first trip - it's not like shopping at other grocery stores. For my weekly milk, bread, bananas, oj, etc, I get those all at Kwik Trip, which is the cheapest place around here to get those items. Check around for your cheapest place for that stuff if you are not near a Kwik Trip.

I hope this helps :)

Hello T.,

What a great, healthy new year you're off to! I write a healthy, natural-focused, parenting blog with a lot of healthy recipes. A recent survey I conducted on the blog showed that my readers love the recipes on there and asked for more...so the number will only grow. Please feel free to check out the link below which will take you directly to the recipes.

http://uggamugga.blogspot.com/search/label/recipe

Best of luck and Happy New Year!
www.UggaMugga.com

I have a great, cheap recipe that is good for cleaning up odds-and-ends in the fridge. I call it "Leftover Strata", and it's my take on the Strata recipe found in the cookbook "Hot Dish Heaven".

You can either make this in a 8 in square pan, or a 9x13 cake pan. Grease your pan. Butter enough slices of bread to cover the bottom of the pan, and lay them butter side up. You may need to cut some slices in half to fit; it's ok if they overlap a little.

Next, take any leftovers you want to use up, and spread them over the bread. You are only limited by your imagination. This is a good chance to use up the 1/3 cup of peas that's sitting in the back of the fridge, the lone carrot in the crisper, or odd pieces of meat. Then sprinkle a little shredded cheese over everything. Finish with another layer of buttered bread, buttered side up.

If you're using an 8 in pan, beat 2 eggs with 1 1/2 cup of milk. If you're using a 9x13 pan, double that (4 eggs and 3 cups of milk). Dump the egg/milk mixture evenly over everything. Strata turns out awesome if you can let it sit in the fridge overnight, but you can cook it right away if you need to. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. It will puff up and be golden on top.

This is one of our favorite recipes! If I have bread or milk I have to use up, this is the recipe I reach for. You can really "hide" a fair amount of veggies inside there. My favorite Strata combo is tuna, carrots, peas, and cheddar. I've also done sloppy joe meat, corn, and cheddar.

Another quick, high-veggie meal is stir fry using frozen veggies. Saute a bag of frozen vegggies (I like the broccoli/cauliflower mix) in some olive oil or butter until cooked. Sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning, and serve w/rice.

1 / 3