Headaches - Natural Remedy

Hi, Ladies,

I currently cannot take any blood thinning medicine (i.e. Aleve). I am suffering from a monster headache right now. It's not from hunger or caffeine withdrawal; it's probably a combination of hormones, sinus and tension.

What ways can I alleviate this headache without medicine? I debated about having a cup of tea, but then I would be starting a cycle of caffeine.

Wow - great suggestions here! Thank you! I rubbed my ears for about 10 minutes, relaxed, and stood up feeling so much better. It helped that my 3 year old layed down next to me and kissed my hand =) I still have pain at the top of my head, but that is no doubt tension. I am going to try a scoop of peanut butter right now. Any excuse to eat a plain scoop of peanut butter is alright with me!

I was getting headaches every single afternoon for the last few years. I would take the aleive and not even realize how often I was taking it. Recently I decided to try and eliminate gluten from my diet. I am 98% headache free. I still get the occasional little stab that lasts no more than about 5 seconds. But that's not a real headache no matter how briefly painful it is. :)

I rarely drink caffeine but...
when I have a horrible headache a coke and plain potato chips or french fries help a ton! I do not know if it is the salt that helps or the potassium in the potato. This especially helps with my hormonal headaches! I am glad you conquered this one :)

Magnesium. My MIL takes it for migraines and swears by it.

Aveda blue oil rubbed in the temples was always did the trick for me (also helped with nausea

I am in awe of the fantastic answers you have gotten! I need to add that taking sugar out of my diet greatly lessened my severe migraines....um, at one point. Of course I am back on sugar and having migraines so I need to practice what I preach.

Another remedy is to run peppermint oil and grain alcohol on your forehead.

Press the web area between your thumb and pointer finger.
Pressing it/pulsing it for awhile. This is a pressure point for headaches.

Also: with your fingertips, press the area all around your eye-socket... that bone all around your eyes. Just press all around in a circular fashion. It is also very relaxing. But this is a pressure point area too. My Chinese friend does that... she is a Reiki masseuse.

These are well known pressure points in Shiatsu and other Asian remedies.

good luck,
Susan

The three biggest causes of headaches (other than migraines and cluster headaches) are:

dehydration
lack of protein
tension

so:

Drink water
Eat some protein (nuts/string cheese/peanut butter etc...)
There is a yoga pose (don't know what it's called) that helps with tension headaches....it's where you're on all fours with the crown of your head on the floor and you rock forward gently to stretch the neck out.

Actually about a half a cup of strong coffee can take away a headache.
My son gets migraines and the first thing I do is give him coffee.
Strangely enough, it doesn't hype him up, it relaxes him as it relaxes the blood vessels to his brain and he can sleep the rest of it off.
You can also try pinching your ear lobes or the webbed part between your thumb and forefinger. Don't be afraid to apply some pressure. It really can help.
My son is in no way addicted to caffeine, but a good jolt of it minimizes his migraines significantly. That and being in a dark, silent room until it subsides. A really good, firm foot rub might help as well.

I hope you get some good suggestions.

I had fierce headaches every afternoon in my 20's. I learned that if I could lie down for 15 minutes and pull, knead, press, and fold tender places in my ears, the tenderness would go away and so would the headache. I later learned that I had accidentally discovered acupuncture meridians.

I've given other people "ear pulls" for headaches, with good results. Still use this on myself, too. I hope it works for you.

HI B.,

One cup of coffee or tea will not start a cycle of caffeine. It's a lot safer than an Aleve and can work well. Feverfew is what most naturalists recommend. You can get it at the health store. There may also be some blended remedies there as well. Most clerks will know what sells the most and they usually ask people how and why it works so they will know for the next customer.

If the root cause is sinus, then taking something that would help there should get rid of the headache. Elderberry is good. Local honey is good as well. High grade tea tree oil (I use Melaleuca oil) is aromatic and can give relief in a vaporizer.

If you have a chiropractor, they can help with headaches. Sometimes they are relieved immediately. I've seen it!

There is a list on http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/headachemigraine/a/Migrai... This might help as well!

God bless and hope you feel better soon!

Peppermint essential oil rubbed into the temples can take away headaches almost immediately. If you are sensitive to the oil, you can add a few drops of olive oil to it to dilute it.

Cayenne pepper is my favorite remedy for headaches. I had one person tell me to add 1/2 tsp to 8 ounces of warm water and drink it fast, followed by 8 ounces of cool water. It works....if you can get down that first 8 ounces. It's nasty! What I do with it is sprinkle it in a small cup of water, then run a q-tip through it to get the peper to stick. Rub that around the edge of each nostril. Not too far in or you will want to rip off your face.

I have a monster tension headache myself--I've realized they now fall into the "chronic" category. But I too just tried the ear rubbing thanks to your question and to Peg and it totally helped! Thanks!

I rarely drink caffeine but...

You have some great suggestions here. Other thoughts would be: warm herbal tea, a bath, something to take your mind off it (ie, movie)

Another remedy for next time...Alternate hot and cold packs all around the body. Ex: Warm pack on the back of the neck, cold pack on the forehead...Warm pack on your feet, cold pack on your abdomen. You can rotate them every 20 minutes. Usually mine are gone after the 2 rotation.

This also forces you to stay still and just let it work and relax. Also try a yoga technique.....Lay on your back and tighten every muscle as hard as you can, scrinch your eyes, your mouth, make fists, tighten abdomen, gluteals, legs, toes hold as long as you can and then completely relax everything. Both of these suggestions simply change blood flow as alot of the other suggestions. If you are off of caffeine stay off it is a trigger of more severe migraines.

Tiger balm , you rub it into the temples

I periodically get killer headaches. I visit the chiropractor. It always seems to help. I also take tylenol sinus. that is the only medication that helps with a headache. also, if you don't have to go anywhere, you can put the heating pad on your head! I know is sounds weird, but that helps me. also, vicks vapo rub. I put in across my forehead!

you need to find a great chiropractor

I know you resolved this, but I heard today if you eat a baked potato (without all the added extras) it will get rid of a headache.

I second adding in a little magnesium. Helps with migraines too.
http://healinghappens.myshaklee.com/us/en/products.php?sk...