Headaches - Natural Remedy

Hi, Ladies,

I currently cannot take any blood thinning medicine (i.e. Aleve). I am suffering from a monster headache right now. It's not from hunger or caffeine withdrawal; it's probably a combination of hormones, sinus and tension.

What ways can I alleviate this headache without medicine? I debated about having a cup of tea, but then I would be starting a cycle of caffeine.

Wow - great suggestions here! Thank you! I rubbed my ears for about 10 minutes, relaxed, and stood up feeling so much better. It helped that my 3 year old layed down next to me and kissed my hand =) I still have pain at the top of my head, but that is no doubt tension. I am going to try a scoop of peanut butter right now. Any excuse to eat a plain scoop of peanut butter is alright with me!

I was getting headaches every single afternoon for the last few years. I would take the aleive and not even realize how often I was taking it. Recently I decided to try and eliminate gluten from my diet. I am 98% headache free. I still get the occasional little stab that lasts no more than about 5 seconds. But that's not a real headache no matter how briefly painful it is. :)

I rarely drink caffeine but...
when I have a horrible headache a coke and plain potato chips or french fries help a ton! I do not know if it is the salt that helps or the potassium in the potato. This especially helps with my hormonal headaches! I am glad you conquered this one :)

Magnesium. My MIL takes it for migraines and swears by it.

Aveda blue oil rubbed in the temples was always did the trick for me (also helped with nausea

I am in awe of the fantastic answers you have gotten! I need to add that taking sugar out of my diet greatly lessened my severe migraines....um, at one point. Of course I am back on sugar and having migraines so I need to practice what I preach.

Another remedy is to run peppermint oil and grain alcohol on your forehead.

Press the web area between your thumb and pointer finger.
Pressing it/pulsing it for awhile. This is a pressure point for headaches.

Also: with your fingertips, press the area all around your eye-socket... that bone all around your eyes. Just press all around in a circular fashion. It is also very relaxing. But this is a pressure point area too. My Chinese friend does that... she is a Reiki masseuse.

These are well known pressure points in Shiatsu and other Asian remedies.

good luck,
Susan

The three biggest causes of headaches (other than migraines and cluster headaches) are:

dehydration
lack of protein
tension

so:

Drink water
Eat some protein (nuts/string cheese/peanut butter etc...)
There is a yoga pose (don't know what it's called) that helps with tension headaches....it's where you're on all fours with the crown of your head on the floor and you rock forward gently to stretch the neck out.

Actually about a half a cup of strong coffee can take away a headache.
My son gets migraines and the first thing I do is give him coffee.
Strangely enough, it doesn't hype him up, it relaxes him as it relaxes the blood vessels to his brain and he can sleep the rest of it off.
You can also try pinching your ear lobes or the webbed part between your thumb and forefinger. Don't be afraid to apply some pressure. It really can help.
My son is in no way addicted to caffeine, but a good jolt of it minimizes his migraines significantly. That and being in a dark, silent room until it subsides. A really good, firm foot rub might help as well.

I hope you get some good suggestions.

I had fierce headaches every afternoon in my 20's. I learned that if I could lie down for 15 minutes and pull, knead, press, and fold tender places in my ears, the tenderness would go away and so would the headache. I later learned that I had accidentally discovered acupuncture meridians.

I've given other people "ear pulls" for headaches, with good results. Still use this on myself, too. I hope it works for you.

1 / 3