Headaches

Hi Moms,

I am 16 weeks pregnant and so far everything is going great except that now that my morning sickness is over, I have a head ache all the time. Sometimes it is really bad and sometimes it is just a little nagging ache but it doesn't go away. The doctor didn't seem concerned about it and suggested Tylenol and even gave me Tylenol 3 to take for the pain. I am eating every two hours and drinking plenty of water. I would love any suggestions that you all might have about how to make them go away or thoughts of how to make them a little easier to cope with.

I went through the same thing. After my horrible sickness went away I had headaches, I read that it was normal. I was a member of one the those pregnancy sites and they said thats actually a symptom at that stage of pregnancy. When it got really bad tylenol always helped me or a nap and plenty of water. It lasted a couple weeks and went away. Congratulations on baby and hang in there!

A. thats the only problem I pretty much had during my pregnancy. My dr even put me on loratab but I ususally just tried to take tylonal first b/c I was worried about taking anything too strong and hurting my baby. But I took extra streight and it seemed to help and try to lay down with a cool rag on the head and neck. Rest as much as u can and drink plenty of water. Good luck and hopfully the headachs will end soon its all worth it!!!!

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. I too live with a daily headache and discovered that I had a Niacin (vit B3) deficiency. I started taking a Flush-Free 500mg capsule of Niacin and it worked wonders. I hope you start feeling better. I would also second the suggestion of seeing a prenatal chiropractor.

~A.~ SAHM of 7

Congratulations A.!
I had a headache with my pregnancies also. I finally figured out by the third one that it was because my hips and ligaments around there were moving in preparation for childbirth. I just "lived" with the migraines it caused with my first one, took tylenol and drank Dr. Pepper (so I could control the amount of caffeine my body was getting) with my second and finally figured that chiropractic help would help to fix the problem with the third. It was sooo much nicer once I figured it out with the third and I hardly had any headaches at all.

This may sound odd, but what kind of prenatal vitamins do you take? I had a constant, horrible headache when I took over the counter prenatals but once I got started on a prescription I had no problems. Then I ran out of samples so I took the OTC's again and the headaches came back. I might be the only one that happened to, but it might be worth a try.

You are able to take Sudafed when you are pregnant. Ask your doctor first, of course. However, these headaches could be sinus? related, maybe sudafed would help???? It is worth a try. Also, keep track of your blood pressure. Text book "perfect" is 120/80. Everyone varies from this. If the top number is close to or over 200, or the bottom number is close to or over 100, call your doctor immediately.

Hope this helps :)

Hey A.! YEP, I had those horrible headaches too right about that same time while I was pregnant...it happened with both of my pregnancies. I beleive it is just the change and fluctation in hormones and will pass eventually. Mine were so bad though that they gave me Vicodin. And yes, you can take Vicoden during pregnancy - I couldn't beleive it either! But, needed something way stronger than Tylenol. If Tylenol doesn't help you, ask your doctor for something stronger that will get you thru these headaches. Hopefully they will be short lived and you'll quit having them in a few weeks. GOOD LUCK!!!

Headaches are a bother I have had them and they aren't your typical headache they are more bothersome when pregnant due to hormones.Your right the dr doesn't seem to concerned unless there are other symptoms like seeing spots and swelling all of a sudden.They will slightly become less frequent and often as you enter the end of 2nd trimester and 3rd.It is good to keep yourself hydrated and if your like me I have to have caffeine daily I crave it most of all not to much though but here is what you can do if they become so bad that rest isn't helping take 1-2 Tylenol not the RX one and drink 1 can of Coke with it and your headache will be completely gone in less than 30 min.

1 / 3