HEAD LICE - It Won't Go Away!!

My 7 year old brought lice home from school a month ago. I have treated her hair 5 times with the store bought RID kit. I have washed everything in my house many times. I will think I got it all and then I will see her scratching again and sure enough its back. My oldest daughter also got it because they sleep together and I treated her hair ONCE and it was gone. Her doctor told me not to do the RID kit again so soon because its dangerous. So has anyone have advice on how to get rid of lice.

Oh the dreaded head lice. I did not read all posts,but mayonaise finally did it for us. You will probably have to do it a couple of times due to the life cycle of the eggs/nits and I agree with the blow drying.

You need to get rid of it in everything...pillows, toys, rugs, curtains, your car seats, clothes, etc...

This may sound weird, but it works. My daughter also got head lice at school and it seemed like they would never go away. My father-in-law went on the CDC website and then talked to the pharmacist. They both said the same thing. Get Listerine (the good old-fashioned yellow kind, not the mint) and soak their hair in it. Wrap the hair with saran-wrap and let it sit for 2 hours. After that, wash the hair with shampoo ONLY. Once you have washed the hair, use NIX (follow the directions on the box). Also, the pharmacist said to get a metal comb and use it, not the plastic ones that come in the box. We did this treatment once and we haven't seen anymore signs of them. Hope this helps.

Hello S.

how about using essential oils?
check out this website
Head Lice Treatments By: Shiloah Baker
http://www.homemakingcottage.com/health/lice.html

~~~Herbal Lice Treatment ~~~
12 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
25 drops Rosemary essential oil
13 drops Geranium essential oil
25 drops Lavender essential oil
5 drops Tea tree oil essential oil
5 drops Cypress essential oil
5 drops Citrus essential oil
3 oz. vegetable oil

Shake ingredients in a shaker i.e.: cruet. Let sit on hair for 2-3 hours. Wrap hair in saran wrap or put a plastic shower cap over the hair. This should do 2 treatments. This is a very effective method of getting rid of these bugs (At least it worked well for my family). Put this treatment on dry hair for best results and then cover with a shower cap.

The most important thing to do to get rid of the lice is to make sure that you get ALL of the nits out. They are the eggs and will hatch. This is the one thing that is not killed by any treatments, even the store treatments. You must pull them out by hand. When my children had lice, I spent hours and hours pulling the nits and the bugs out by hand. We used the beer and the essential oil treatments. If you have any suggestions to add, please email.

-Shiloah Baker

--------------------------------------
Personally I use NEEM shampoo and conditioner -- it has rosemary oil

My neices have really think long black hair and my sister used to get frustrated about lice too. She tried the mayo-all-over-the-head thing and it worked for her. Just cover ever inch of the hair and really massage it into the scalp. I've heard it suffocates the lice and they die. Also, take all their toys, shoes, pillows, blankets and wash with really hot bleach water. Spray thier beds with bleach water and let it air dry.
When I was in Mexico when I was 12 yrs old, I got lice and my mom's cousin combed my hair with gasoline. That also kills the lice, but only do this outside, if you're willing to try anything.

Walgreens sells an electric comb that zaps and kills the lice without chemicals. It really works! Of course, it is $30, but if you don't have to buy the chemicals anymore, it is worth it.

I also read on the Center for Disease control web site that olive oil works. You are supposed to put it on and then wear a shower cap for a period of time (I can't remember how long now - sorry!).

S.,

You are not going to like this because it is a daughter and not a son, but sometimes the best way to rid lice is to shave the kid's head. Dramatic? Yes...but the doc is right...RID is a chemical and you really don't want to use it multiple times. The hair will grow back...but lice can also damage the follicles if left untreated or she has them for a long time, so I know it is not a great idea, especially for a 7 year old. Better if it were summer time and not at school....but if the other home remedies don't work, that may be a last option...but do make sure that you are really cleaning everything else she contacts too!

HI S., my son got head lice really bad for a couple of months cause he had really thick curly hair. So we went to the doctor and she told us to use the other type of Head lice treatment. I can't remember what its called but that RID doesn't work. The other one is like 12 bucks for it. But it is totally worth it. We used it once combed his hair and we were done!!! Hope that helps. Next time I am at Target I will look at that name of that other product!! :-)

1 / 3