He Missed the Bus!!

Okay so my son rides the short bus so he is picked up in front of the house. He was sitting in the dining room, facing the window and still managed to zone out at the wrong time and missed the bus.

He has the greatest bus driver ever!!! I mean this woman is sweet as pie, so patient with my less than conscious son! This is not the first time he missed the bus.

So I throw in him the car, not literally though tempting, and head to school. She pulls behind me after the next stop, recognizes my car, waves and then puts on her signal to turn at the next street. So I turn cause Andy assured me there are no stops there. She pulled over to pick him up!! She did this because she knows deviations to schedule throw him for a loop all day!

I just have no words to explain how big this is. How kind that was of her. You either get it or you don't, ya know?

Every year for Christmas and end of year I get his drivers Breadco gift cards, Panera to the rest of the country. This just doesn't seem enough for this woman. This is the first year of her driving Andy. I just don't know her well enough to get her anything else. I mean how well can you get to know a bus driver without messing up her schedule. I am thinking of calling central to see if anyone there knows what she likes. Other than that I haven't a clue.

Does anyone have any great gift ideas or a way I can stalk her so I know what to get?

I have one month to figure this out.

Throughout the year I have mentioned time and again how wonderful a bus driver she is. I have sent emails and letters. Every IEP meeting transportation is there, I tell them she is the best! This is just so beyond what she had to do!

I don't want to call transportation until I talk to her tonight just in case she broke a rule for him.

Guys she is too nice to get a handwritten note from me. Ya know those posts here that need translators, yeah, that is my handwriting. I would never do that to anyone I like.

Just in case anyone checks the what happened it was against the rules. Not that she did it but that she didn't waste five to ten minutes getting approval before she did.

I can tell you from an exeperience from my daughter that the bus company likes when parents call to praise a driver...that is one of the best ways they find out if they have a good driver or not...my only worry would be though if it is allowed that they pick up a child in a spot other thent he designated....I would call and just be simple and say what a great driver she is.

You might call her supervisor and sing her praises, and ask if there is an award or some kind of employee recognition that you could nominate her for. Sometime recognition is a great reward, and a gift card...

I would write her a very sincere note of thanks. I know it's not monetary but I think that along with the usual gift, a note would let her know exactly how much you appreciate her. You can also tell her boss (though I wouldn't mention that she picked him up at an unregulated stop) that she's a good driver, you have been impressed with her and you very much appreciate her attention to the children in her care. If you put it in writing, they may put it in her file. I'd keep it short but heartfelt.

Maybe a gift card to Target or a certificate to a salon for a pedicure? As far as stalking her goes, if I were you, I would call up central and talk to her boss. You could also write a beautiful letter expressing how wonderful of a bus driver she is and send it to her boss and the superintendent.

What a great story! Bus drivers are sometimes the forgotten "teachers" in our kids lives.

First, a call to her super to tell them how thoughtful and how she goes above and beyond the call to do her job. Then I think a pretty flower arrangement or cookie boquet to the transportation office would be a wonderful thank you. You could even give a simple lunch gift card on one of those Visa/Master cards.

Since you are doubting your own ability to express yourself in a card--which would be the BEST gift--might I suggest:

Dear Ann,
I wanted to take time to personally thank you for being the greatest bus driver on the planet. Your care and attention to detail are beyond compare. I want you to know that you are making a real and very positive difference in the lives of the kids you transport. I know that my son has been impacted by your kindness on more than one occasion, and while it might be just "part of your job" to you--it's beyond appreciated by us.
Thank you again for doing such a wonderful job with my son--and all of the kids--this year.
Sincerely,

Still include a gift card (or two!) as I don't think bus drivers are allowed to accept cash as gifts.

What a sweet woman. I would for sure have a pan of goodies waiting for her when she dropps your son off tonight to give to her! Maybe also a very nice thank you card on top of it.

You could call central and see if anyone would give you some other tips on what she likes. Otherwise maybe just double her gift card that you normally get her. You could also have your son make her a home made card to put her gift card in. Who doesn't like home made thank you cards :)

1 / 3