Hawaii Vacation

We are looking at sending my parents to Hawaii for their 35th wedding anniversary, and are kind of clueless as to where to start. At first we thought a cruise so they could see multiple islands, but the cruise from CA seems like a lot of time on a boat, and not much on the islands. Then I'm thinking of just Oahu since there are multiple things that they can do as far as sightseeing goes. I'm just looking for any opinions on anyone who has been as far as resorts go, or your experience with a Hawaiian cruise. I'm looking at the Hilton Hawaiian Village right now in Oahu, seems to be pretty centrally located, and lots of stuff to do on the resort. Any suggestions or experiences would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much in advance!

We spent the whole week in Kauai and loved it. Spent one night on Oahu and that was enough. I loved the relaxing atmosphere of Kauai. The cruise would not be very relaxing for me but would let you see lots of different things.

We love Maui. Our favorite spots to stay are Kapula or Ka'anapoli and then we spend a lot of time in Lahania.

I LOVE the whale watches. It is awesome. You go way out on a little dingy and the whales get OH so close and it is just amazing.

We also enjoyed the luau at Lahania.

Actually for an older couple -I would send them to Maui. To me, at least, it's prettier and not as built up, but there is A LOT to do and a lot for older people to do. There are many lovely resorts and if they go during whale season, they can see them up close and personal! Driving the Hana Highway is also a great thing to do and taking a tour up to the top of Haleakala to see the sunrise is pretty amazing! I agree with you about the cruise. Cruising is just not my cup of tea. They will need a rental car for just about anywhere you send them.

I would chose Maui or Kaui over Oahu. www.vbro.com

Maui! Its relaxing, not city like and plenty to do. Check out Lahaina hotels or condos

My husband and I went to Hawaii for our 25th anniversary. We thoroughly enjoyed the whole trip - it was AWESOME!! We'd never been there before, so we checked with AAA for information. The itinerary we did: flew out of KCI to Phoenix, then on to Honolulu, stayed over night in Hilton on Waikiki Beach, boarded NCL cruise ship that we stayed on for the nights, but spent our days at ports-of-call when the ship would dock at a different island each day - so much fun! We got to see a lot of Hawaii that way and experienced many different things by taking advantage of the cruise excersions. The last night we were in Hawaii, we attended a luau before going to the airport to leave for home. If we could, we'd do it all over again in a heartbeat!!

Hi B.,
I'm in agreement with a lot of the folks...Oahu wasn't all that thrilling....kind of a big city by the ocean. We've been to Oahu, Kauai, Maui and the Big Island, and it just depends on what your folks like to do as to which island(s) they should go to. When we go, we typically hit 2 islands....because jumping between them isn't too expensive (compared to what it takes to get there). I know there's currently a lot of volcano activity, so if that's something they're interested in, then the Big Island might be cool....a helicopter ride and then driving around Volcano's National Park. Maui is nice too, with the road to Hana, the mountain, etc. Kauai is nice, lots of hiking and laid back. Not sure that helps..but if you want some addt'l info, just send me a message.

I have personally only been to Oahu and Kauai, so that's all I can comment on. I did not like Oahu personally. I went with a group of 6 people, no kids and we are all young and active, so my opinion might not even be valid since your parents are obviously in a different stage of life. Oahu beaches (in Honolulu) were not great, it was very overcrowded and I basically felt like I was in a city with a dirty beach. We did see the north shore, which was pretty, but nothing spectacular. Pearl Harbor was one of the only saving graces for us on that island.

Kauai was a totally different experience. Very laid back, beautiful, tons of local places and little towns that were absolutely wonderful. You can hike, kayak, do boat tours, helicopter tours. There are so many things to see on the island, but it's definitely more for the adventurous type. I have heard Maui and the big island are both great for first timers. It truly depends on what type of experience you think your parents will want. We were interested in being truly immersed in the culture that's what we got on Kauai.

1 / 3