Having a Tooth Pulled While 33Weeks Pregnant.

I would like to know if anyone has been in the situation where you need a tooth pulled while pregnant? and would like tp know if there were any side affects that might harm the baby? going to the dentist on thursday to see if my tooth can be pulled.i would prefer to wait till my baby is born.but the pain is really bad.

There should be no side effects for the small amount of anesthetic used for ONE tooth. As long as sedation is not a factor, which, it shouldn't. The infection would be far more risky than the anesthesia used. Write me back if you have any more in depth questions... BTW, I'm a dental technician with docs by my side that can answer any questions you may have.

I had my tooth pulled at 20 weeks, No side effects, and no more pain. I think the pain I did put on myself by waiting was more stressful on my baby then the anesthesia

Don't worry!! it happened the same to me like 10 years ago. The dentist use another kind of anesthesia and everything was ok. No harm to the baby.

Hello A.,
I am a dentist (with 18 years experience) and here my professional advice:
A tooth extraction is harmless to your pregnancy.You will be given a local anesthetic to numb the tooth ,then the anesthetic will be metabolized locally (when the numbness goes away), without affecting the rest of your body.
Leaving a tooth that needs to be extracted in your mouth is on the other hand not safe as a potential infection can spread to surrounding tissues and even your bloodstream.
So I recommend you get this tooth pulled as soon as you can (assuming this a simple extraction with a local anesthetic).
Hope this helps! Please email me at ____@____.com if you have any further questions or comments. Good luck!

S..

Hi A.....sorry to hear that you have pain...obviously there is a good reason for your pain.oral hygiene is very important during pregnancy and in our ob/gyn practice we refer moms to dentist all the time.any infection in your mouth can cause complications in pregnancy.most ob/gyn have special dental referral letter which makes clear for dentist to use specific antibiotic,local anesthetic agent or treatment for pregnant moms.ask your md for this type of referral and don't worry.also your dentist would know how to help you.in 25 years taking care of ob patients I have never seen preterm labor or complications due to dental care.good luck and congrd.

You have to weigh the consequences of having the tooth pulled vs not having it pulled. During pregnancy, dental treatment is limited due to comfort of your mom, potential increase in high blood pressure because of stress...etc. If you need anything done, it is usually best to do it in your 2nd trimester. It sounds like your tooth is infected? If you wait too long, the infection can spread beyond the tooth into your face and possibly down your neck, which may cause even more severe problems for yourself and your pregnancy. If that's the case, you should probably take care of it as soon as possible. The baby should be fine. The best advice for women is to take care of all the severe dental work before they get pregnant, since xrays are also limited in pregnant women. If necessary, wait until after your 1st trimester when things with the baby are settled and risk of miscarriage drops. In the 3rd trimester you may be too uncomfortable in the dental chair. Hope this helps.

Now I dont mean to scare you, but I just want you to make sure you (and ofcourse your precious baby) will be ok. I have heard of several circumstances where the pain was so terrible and the stress so bad, women actually went into preterm labor. I have seen a few stories on tv (Runway Moms, and one more show i cant remember) where they had a tooth pulled and less than a day later they went into labor. Im sure there are many pregnant women who get their teeth pulled, but idk if you would be willing to take a risk like that. I really dont mean to scare you, just make sure you know what your doing. Or even better, get advice from your doctor on what he/she feels about it. Good luck with that and again, not trying to scare you.

Hi, I had dental work done while I was pg. The stress of the pain was worse for the baby than the very minimal chance of side effects. They double layered the vest for x-rays and only used certain meds.

Just tell them you're pg and it should be fine. No heavy pain meds, but tylonol worked fine for me. Also, you being so far along is a good thing.

When i was about 6 weeks along last year, i needed to get a root canal! I was horrified..it was my 1st one.. and terrified too. It took us over a year to conceive the baby and i worried it may hurt him. Long story short, my dentist sent me to a specialist who did a fantastic job. Novacaine is safe when you're pregnant..and they put 2 of the lap covers over my abdomen..just in case.. needless to say i had a healthy 10 pound baby boy born on his due date..11/11/07! I would recommend having it pulled now, after the baby arrives you're not going to want to do it..take care

First, I'm sorry you are having pain. Toothaches can be horrible. I would advise you to ask your doctor and the dentist about potential harmful side effects on the baby. They are the experts and should know best! Good luck and hope you get some relief soon.

1 / 3