Having a Tooth Pulled

I am having my 2nd to last back molar pulled tomorrow, I cracked it in half whan I was a child and have had a temporary on it since then not the same temp I have had it changed twice. I am not hard on my teeth and my dentist said if it was not bothering me we wont touch it. well the past several months I have been having pain on and off, and over the past two weeks it has been very consistant. This morning I woke and was taken to my knees with the pain. I have never had a tooth ache so it was an eye opener. I cannot pay the outragous amount to have a bridge or see going through a root canal. I am going to have it pulled and be done with it. Like I said I am very good to my teeth cleanings every 6mo no tartar or cavities this has come out of no where. So my question is has anyonehad a back tooh pulle did it hurt? did your teeth shift alot over time? any info would be great. TIA

thanks everyone as I sit here typing all i feel is the throubing bambambam of my tooth. I am feeling a bit better about just having it pulled. :-) Thanks Grandma T I planned on making sure I was fully numbed for this. as for labor will I had an emer csect (breach) so I have no idea what labor is like. if its worse than this #2 will also be a csect. lol

The dentist should numb the area so having the tooth pulled shouldn't be painful. Once that wears off, Extra Strength Tylenol managed the pain for me. It's VERY important to follow the directions they give you for the recuperative period. I had my back and 2nd to the last molars pulled several years ago and my teeth have not shifted. Hope this helps...good luck!

I just recently had that tooth pulled! I was a little freaked out about it, but I got the nitrus oxide and it was numbed well. Wasn't a big deal at all and didn't have too much pain for the first couple of days. However, I did develop a partial dry socket, so I had to go back a few days later and they put something over it to allow it to heal better. My doctor said it would take a good 2 weeks for it to heal and I think it was exactly day 14 before I didn't have any jaw pain or have to take advil, but it has been about 2 months now and everything is great. I am not planning to get a bridge or the implants either. My mom had a tooth pulled and never got a bridge for it, but it was a back tooth on top. It hasn't shifted on her in all those years. Good luck!
A.

I had one pulled a while back (2-3 yrs ago). It wasn't that bad getting it pulled, but it hurt the next couple of days. I had a pounding headache for 2 days after. You think it's not a big deal, but it is and you are very sore. Sometimes they will prescribe Tylenol w/codene. That didn't sit well with me, so I just took 650mg of Tylenol (Arthritis formula) and that seemed to help. No shifting in the teeth at all for the last few years. I hear ya about having to pay for a bridge! Good Lord they may well take your first born for what they charge. Best of Luck!!

I had to have my back molar pulled when I was just a month pregnant. I was told that it would be over $1500 for a root canal and a crown. Well, my main concern was having anything like that done so early in my pregnancy, not to mention we did not have the money for that. It didn't hurt at all! The sounds were gross and it ached a couple days. My teeth haven't shifted and it's been 2 years since it was pulled. A good friend of mine said her daughter had a root canal and crown on her back molar and a year later it feel out anyhow. I was happy with my decision :) Good luck!

I know you said you don't want a bridge or whatever... have you considered (or even discussed with your dentist) having an implant? My husband had one of his crumble about a year ago. He had had sudden pain every once in a blue moon with that particular tooth, for a year or two. But they couldn't find anything wrong with it (believe me they tried to...)... some things just don't show up on xrays... Anyway... it finally just split in half, and when he went in to the dentist the next day and he went to pull it, it just crumbled. He went ahead with having an implant done (it takes a few appts, the socket has to heal from the tooth removal, then they screw in the actual implant --a titanium root, essentially) and that has to heal. Then a few months later, they attach the fake tooth to the implanted root. That was about a year ago that he finally finished up all of it.... and he hasn't had a single issue with it since. And the titanium root will protect the integrity of his jaw bone. (The bone actually fuses with the titanium!)

My husband is 43 and never had any other tooth problems.

It was spendy (about $3,000 for EVERYTHING) and it wasn't covered by the insurance we had at the time, but it happened just before the end of December, and we were able to put enough $ into our HSA to use, so that at least it was taxfree $.

He recovered from the implant surgery (pain wise) within about 24 hours. But he was still required to use care and brains when eating for several days after that. Then he wasn't allowed to have hard things (peanuts/popcorn) for a bit longer.

I have no idea how that compares price-wise, with just a root canal and a bridge... But to my husband, it was worth every penny.

MY husband has had a back tooth pulled. As did my mom. They didn't have much pain. Tylenol will help. Ask if you can take some before your appt. Good luck!

my 7 year old just had a molar pulled-- his was also cracked. he didn't even know they pulled it out!! we showed him his tooth and he was SHOCKED!!! they already did it??!?!? the dentist put a spacer in to keep the space between his teeth-- although i don't know if you'd need that with adult teeth, the concern is that there will be no place for his adult tooth to come in a few years... you wouldn't have that concern...

I have had a back molar pulled and it was pretty much no big deal. I was even able to have one of my wisdom teeth pulled out with only a local shot for numbing and that was just a little pressure as well. The sound is worse than the pain. Both times I have had swelling after but nothing terrible and definitely not as bad as the pain of a tooth ache. My teeth have not shifted and I am diligent about brushing and flossing...you will be ok. They may give you something for pain for after but I never needed anything beyond the first day or two.

1 / 3