Having a Little Trouble Breastfeeding

I have tried to breast feed my baby but she seems to be always hungry. I have been worried that she is not getting enough milk so when my nipples started to bleed I subsituted with some formula. Now it seems that I breastfeed less and give her the bottle more. I need to get back on to breast feeding as much as possible but I cannot seem to get myself motivated. I dont want my nipples to start bleeding again. I have one other problem. Now that I have been giving her the bottle my milk doesnt seem to be coming in. How can I get my milk to come in? And how can I prevent bleeding nipples? Anyone with any advice?

Thanks to all those who gave me advice. I will take all of it into consideration. My daughter is now breastfeeding with out it hurting me at all. Thanks again everyone.

I had trouble with my milk supply even with frequency. I used a product called domperidone that worked wonders! It doesn't have the nasty side effect of depression like some of the others. My lactation specialist told me about it. You can get it without a prescription over the internet or with a prescription in some places in the US. Good luck.

If your nipples are bleeding, she is probably not latching on right. I was lucky with my daughter, she just latched on and after 10 days of sore nipples, the pain went away. I would suggest seeing a lactation consultant - La Leche League is the most well known and it is nationwide. I don't know where they are around here, but I'm sure if you did a search you can find them. They will watch you breast feed and give you pointers as to how to get her to latch on correctly. As for your supply, you have to keep up the demand to maintain the supply. You can always pump, to keep up your production. Good Luck!

First of all I would say if bottle feeding is working better than breast feeding then feel ok about choosing that option. Many times new mothers are made to feel guilty about NOT breastfeeding.

The best way to get a good milk production is to breastfeed, but many mothers have also used a tea which increases milk production. Look for it at Whole Foods.

Keeping your mnilk production up can also be enhanced by pumping after your daughter feeds to fully empty your breasts. Encourage your little one to feed as long as she can even if this involves tapping her feet or rubbing her head to get her to wake up. She should be able to go 3 hours inbetween feeds.

Hope this helps!

when I had that problem with my fifth child I tried nursing her in the football position
just to change the way it was pulling. Make sure the babies mouth is open very wide and then very, very quickly put your baby to the breast. If the mouth wasn't wide enough then try again. It could take several tries. Nursing is not supposed to hurt. Also make sure you wash and thorough air dry your breasts. A nurse in the hospital gave me warm wet tea bags to put over my nipples and I did that often for the first few days. Just put a breast pad over it and closed my bra and would wear it there for about thirty minutes each time after nursing. Not herb tea (the regular lipton tea). It has something in it that is supposed to toughen the nipples. We had to stop at the store to buy it because we don't drink tea and we didn't have any on hand. This was a life saver. Don't give up. Keep drinking plenty of liquids and try to relax. The milk production will pick up. The more she nurses the more milk you will produce. I know how hard it is with the first. My husband was out at sea and I lived far away from family. I was so lost. It will get easier.
A. - Mom of six wonderful children and a Grandma to a wonderful two year old.

I would for sure talk to a lactation person. Bleeding nipples are NOT ok. Sound like her latch is wrong. If you are serious about wanting to breast feed, you need to soley breastfeed! Feed the baby as often as you need to..every hour even. Pump after each feed for a few minutes. That will stimulate your body to say hey, I need to produce more. If your baby goes more than 3 hours without feeding (say nap time) pump at that 3 hour mark anyway, then when your baby eats feed her, and if she still seems very hungry give her the pumped milk. Formula if very filling and she won't feel hungry like she should. You can also ask your doctor about a pill call reglan to help with your milk to come in. I had to use it with my last baby. It is untended to jump start milk supply again, but if you don't pump and feed like you should it will go away agian...so feed feed feed and pump, and you should be ok. Your baby will act hungry for a while, but she wont starve. As long as she is gaining weight, she is ok.

If you live in the Colorado Springs area the Alliance Breastfeeding Center on N. Academy is great. LLL(LaLecheLeague) is in most cities and have great free advice. If you go to a LLL meeting you can get one on one help. To have more milk you have to feed. The more you feed the more milk. If it hurts when she is nursing then she is not properly latched. If it hurts take her off using your finger to release the suck and relatch--always make sure she is properly latched. There are herbal teas and tinctures you can get from Vitamin Cottage that help milk production--mother milk tea, fenugreek, milk thistle, ask for someone who knows. Send me a message if you would like to talk and I can give you more specifics.

I have never had problems with the bleeding nipple part, but I know they have different lotions or creams to put on your nipples after you are done so they don't get chapped. I do know however one way to get more milk is to drink 1-2 beers a day. Honestly, it works. That is what I was told to do if I thought I was getting low. So I did and I breastfed for 12 months. I was told that the yeast in the beer is what makes you produce more milk. If you cannot tolerate beer, there is some stuff that you can by at one of those all natural grocery stores that is called "Mother's Milk". I have heard that it works really well also.

I know that everyone has told you Lanolin cream, and I used that too, I didn't have too much of a problem breastfeeding, but occasionally my nipples would get sore, and I did get a blister from pumping too hard once. I had read somewhere that if you rubbed a little breast milk on your nipples it would also help heal them, and I really did. I didn't think it did at first, but after doing it a couple of times it made a difference. Be sure that you don't pump so much that you make your nipples sore, when I first started to pump I didn't feel like I was getting enough milk, so I would pump more, just be happy with what you get, it will start to do better after you pump more often. Good luck!

Hi B.,

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble breastfeeding. Is this your first child? I had quite a bit of trouble with my first child. For the sore and bleeding nipples, I would recommend and nipple shield. The one I used was made by Medela and you can get them at Target for around $5-$6. It's a plastic shield that protects the nipple. You can also try a lanolin ointment which won't harm the baby and will help also. Once your baby starts eating more from the breast, your milk supply should increase. Good luck!

1 / 3