Have You Ever Used Benydryl to Help Your Child Sleep in the Car on Trips?

Hello,

I have two children who have never been car sleepers and needless to say, road trip vacation are always a nightmare! My kids are now 6 and 2 and I have heard of some parents giving them a shot of Benydrl to make them drowsy enough to sleep when going on a trip. Have any of you ever done it and if so, have you ever had any reprecussions from doing it? Does it work? We're going on a drive from Albuquerque to Phoenix on Thanksgiving and I dread these trips due to the fact that our kids don't sleep in the car. Thanks for your advice.

Hi D. -

You might consider using Chamomile or Lavender over Benedryl. Both herbs are relaxants and very gentle for children - plus no side effects. I realize the active ingredient in Benedryl is the same ingredient in OTC sleep aids, but for a child, the drying out of the Upper Respiratory System may cause more problems than it's worth.

Blessings,

M. M. Ernsberger, HHP
Certified Herbalist

Hello,
I would never give my girls any unnecesaary meds. When we went on road trips we would leave late and drive at night when they are most likely going to be going to sleep......my husband doesn't mind driving at night while I sleep. Try to get a dvd player for them and have lots of games to play.....maybe sit with them in the back do they don't get so bored.

HA! We tried it once on a red-eye flight. NEVER AGAIN! It just wired my child up and none of us got any sleep!

You know, at the risk of being too frank, I think that's a terrible thing to do to your children. All drugs have side effects, all drugs change a body's chemistry...Benadryl is not harmless or completely safe. What if one of them has a reaction? Dealing with their little bodies working it out of their systems will probably be just as hard.

Albuquerque to Phoenix is not that long. Maybe you can sit in the back with them for part of it. Maybe they'll be great! Maybe leave at a different time or give them ample stopping time for exploration. Drugging your kids for your convenience...nope. Not okay.

I'm sorry, maybe its just me, but....are you asking and are other mothers advocating drugging your children JUST so they'll be sleepy for a car trip?! If you can't figure a way to keep your kids occupied on a long car trip, maybe you shouldn't be going.
Giving the kids Benedryl so it will be easier on you! Give me a break!

Please do not drug your kid for no reason. You're not supposed to give ANY kids under 4 medicine ESPECIALLY if they don't need it for medical reasons. Benadryl backfires anyway, it will put them to sleep (maybe) and then they wake up wired and crankier than ever. Please don't do it. Phoenix to ALb. is not that far and you can stop a lot if they get antsy.

Please DO NOT give your child Benedryl. Never never never should you give your child medication unless it's medically necessary. I can't believe all the responses of people saying they have done this; it's absolutely absurd! I have and never would drug my child for a plane ride or road trip. I know several people that travel with children and none of them drug their children. I would suggest bringing or buying a DVD player so they can watch movies, bringing books, toys, snacks and pull over to stretch as needed. The kids will probably sleep some as well.
Best of luck.

Hi! We too, are traveling to Phoenix from ABQ for Thanksgiving. We have made this trip by car once before with our son, who is almost 2. I admit I don't like the idea of giving medication to help my son sleep, so I put a lot of time and thought into what I could pack, that would keep him occupied. Someone loaned us a portable DVD player that we brought out AFTER we had been on the road a while, and had gone through music, books, and toys. I also had packed an assortment of snacks and drinks. For this trip I bought a soft tray he could have in his lap to put his toys on. Lots of stops to let him run and move about helped too! Needless to say, we didnt make good time, but not stopping was out of the question! Hope you guys have a fun and safe trip! Us too! Good luck! Hope some of this helps!

I believe that people are way too quick to drug their children. I agree with another mom who says to plan to take your time. If people know you are bringing kids they wil hopefully understand that you may be a little later than planned. I travel on occasion with my 3 kids and have been for 15 years. It just takes really good planning and lots of snacks and potty breaks.

on another note, my son was once ordered benadryl by a respiratory therapist and pediatrician. he was a ordered 1/4 of a childrens benadryl. I gave him 1st dose and he spent several hrs. literally running circles on my living room rug.

please if you feel the need to use something checkout the available herbal rmedies. calm forte is one Ive heard of.

be careful with givign benadryl. i am a nurse and i once saw a baby brought in dead because the mom had givne him benadryl to help him sleep. it does slow the respirations. also with boys a very common side effect is that it stos the bladder form working. sad to say but i have also had to put in many catherters into little boys because of bandryl. it would probably be a good idea to check with your doctor. sometimes benadryl does the opposite and makes them hyper

Hi D. -

Blessings,

M. M. Ernsberger, HHP
Certified Herbalist

1 / 3