Has Your Child Suffered from Any Side Effects While on Zyrtec?

My 19 month old son was just diagnosed with allergies. My doctor quickly put him on 1/2 teaspoon of zyrtec. Has anyone experienced any side effects from this medication. Thank you so much for your help!

My 3 year old son has been taking it for over a year and has had no side effects from it. We give it to him before bedtime. He was on D-Allergy before that and it made him very cranky. Good luck!

While I have not had this problem with my son, I would look into other options for him so you don't have to worry about side effects especially if he is on it long term. What is he allergic to? There are a ton of natural options to try out. Look for a naturopath in your area, or homeopathist.

My 8 month old has been on that same dose (1/2 tsp.) since he was 6 months old with no side effects. He is taking it for possible allergies and recurrent ear infections. I don't think we will continue it much longer though, because it really doesn't seem to be making any difference for him and it was a trial anyway. I will add that we have been taking him to a chiropractor to help with those issues as well and it does seem to be helping so far.

my 9yo takes it, it just went OTC in pharmacys this week.

the most common side effect for us is drying (mouth, nose, eyes) nothing scary, just annoying.

my son was about 15 months when the pediatrician put him on zyrtec and we haven't had any side effects or problems. He still takes it at times and is almost 2 (22months). I just make sure he has plenty to drink and make sure he doesn't get too dry. Zyrtec gives him a lot of relief.

My 7 yr old son was on Zyrtec for allergies and I found it to be worthless. My son's grandmother took him to the doctor and he was then precribed Allegra, Singular, and Flonase. I thought that was a lot of meds for such a little boy, so I talked to the doc and she said none of that was necessary and I could use an OTC like Benedryl. I ditched the expensive rx's and started using dye free benedryl and his allergies are pretty much under control. I couldn't believe how expensive those meds were, even with insurance (I had a $50 copay for zyrtec and 30 EACH for the allegra, flonase, and singular). I keep flonase on hand for when the benedryl just isnt enough and the congestion gets bad (the height of allergy season).

Isnt that a sleep aid? Or am i thinking of something else??

Hi J. -

My son was on Zyrtec for over 3 years and he never had any side effects. We think he was starting to get immune to it after being on it for so long so we switched to Clarinex.

1 / 3