Has Anyone Worked for Target?

Another question this morning prompted me to ask this. I was thinking about applying there to work a few evenings per week and weekends. Christmas is around the corner, and we are pretty broke right now. I have heard they pay better than some stores and treat their employees pretty well. Do any of you have experience working for them? How do you/did you like it? How is their employee discount? Do they offer the discount on top of sale or clearance prices as well?

I worked there when I was 16 until I was 22. I'm now 31 so it's been a few years. I really liked it there. I actually worked in two different ones since I transferred when I started college. I was happy with them. At the time & I don't think it's changed I got 10% off everything at Target. Also in I got 20% off at Dayton's (I think they're Marshall Fields now) and 15% off at Mervyn's (I don't think they're around anymore). My friend's mom works in the pharmacy department and I think the discount is still 10% off and she's worked there for a while.

i did it part time for extra money a few years ago....
it was not bad... but it was not easy, esp close to holidays. Black friday is mandatory working. I was often there till 1, 2 am even later. One time they made us stay even though there was ice storm (we had no idea how bad it got till we went outside). YOu are working with lots of young kids.. can be annoying. and as someone else said... you will have new respect for a store and never leave stuff in wrong areas again!

They have so many employes, that you are just a number. Most people won't even know who you are are, or what your name is. I will persoanlly, never work there again. It's retail, you can't pick your hours. During Christmas, I didn't get home until 2:30 once, and 2:00 am and 1:00 am many times. I was very specific that I could NOT work Sunday for religious reasons. That was the only schedule restriction I had. Every freaking week, I had to go in there and get my schedule changed. They were rude about it every time. I eventually quit. It really wasn't a great job. I had a friend start at Wal-Mart the same time I started at Target. She got more perks and more raises then me. People actually bothered to know her name. The cart pushers at Wal-mart were making more then me hourly :( And they were not even full-time.

One retail place I did LOVE working, was at Lowes. I was a cashier their, then got moved to customer service. They had a great starting pay ($2.50 more per hour then Target) and I felt the company treated me really well. I never had a single issue with Sundays off.

I did...and hated it! Seriously, we would be there until 1 to 2 in the morning, when the damn store closed at 10. They would schedule the highschool kids to close, but in MO they were required to send the kids home at 10, so everyone else would be left to straighten the store, and you weren't allowed to leave until every department was done. I was working two jobs and the time and there were nights I would make it home at two thirty in the morning sleep four hours and go back to work. Not to mention that I was 23 at the time and almost all of my bosses were younger than me. Uggghhh

I worked at the corporate office in Mpls years ago. In terms of the stores - you are going to get answers from it was the best to it was the worst. Like any retail job, whether you like your job is dependent on your immediate manager. I think it's hard to generalize when it's such a big company.

A good friend of my mother's is a corporate manager for Target and she would never work anywhere else- despite offers to join other retail chains! She started as a front-end cashier and Target paid for her to finish her college degree and join their management team. She has been with them now for nearly 20 years and as a corporation they are really supportive and stable!

Not sure what they do now, but there was a time when employees got 30% off regular-priced items and 15% off clearance/sale. That may be different now.

I worked there seasonally several years ago. I liked it. They stay open later than many other stores, especially during the holidays, so, that means later nights. When you go in, the employees seem generally happy, so, I assume it's a decent place to work. However, I think there is a class action suit against Target from some of it's employees right now. Not sure what that's about.

I am not sure about the benefits offered if you are an employee but we have a family member who works there and they seem to be happy about it. They got promoted to another position after 6 months. So far so good. :)

I'm sure it's like every where else in the world, it depends on your direct supervisor/manager.
My nephew's girlfriend has worked at Target in the college town where she's going to school for 2-3 years now. Her manager is very flexible with her schedule.
My son worked at the same Target and quit after just a month. Since he was on the crew to unload trucks and stock shelves his 'schedule' was 3 am to noon. Which makes me wonder why I have to navigate around people at 2 in the afternoon stocking shelves. But his manager was not flexible with his schedule and he was told he could not transfer out of that department for a certain length of time. The odd hours made it very difficult for eating and sleeping, much less get to classes. My son is HUGE, built like an NFL linebacker and works part time as a bouncer at a bar. HE was even a little afraid of some of his co-workers in the middle of the night. And the employee discount was only 10%. Which is better than a sharp stick in the eye, but not huge.

1 / 3