Has Anyone Used Stevia-sugar Substitute?

I have been reading IBS for Dummies and it mentioned that people with IBS should use Stevia instead of sugar. I found the Stevia at the grocery store but it says it is 100's of times sweeter than sugar. Have any of you used Stevia to bake with? Does it affect the consistency of the baked goods? Are there any side effects like there are with sorbitol or the other sweeteners. I would appreciate any info that you have.
Thanks,
G.

I've used Stevia for years. It is not an artificial sweetener, it is an herb. I prefer the liquid. One bottle lasts forever. I'm allergic to artificial sweeteners, but I don't feel they are particularly safe anyway, so wouldn't consume them even if not. We also use agave nectar, raw honey, and organic raw sugar, as necessary. If I'm going to bake, I use the sugar as we don't eat much in the way of baked goods.

Hi G.,

I've never used Stevia, but I'd wanting to try it also. So, I'll be reading the answers you get...lol. I second the post on Jordan Rubin's books. His story is amazing. He's written several books; the one I have is The Maker's Diet. He also has a website.

Best wishes,
www.joyfulconnections.net

I have been using Stevia for years and although at first I did not like it I have grown to miss it, If I use anything else. I do prefer to use raw sugar in place of white for cooking. I only use about half a packet of Stevia powder for about 8-10 oz. of hot beverage. The liquid is easier to work with as far as cold liquids are concerned. I prefer the Nu Stevia over the one in the green label.
If you look up anything writen by Jordin Rubin you will find a wealth of information. He suffered from Cron's Disease and his testimony is awesome to read. From this he has made it his mission to help people get and stay healthy. The book that I have of his is called the Great Physcian's Rx for Health and Wellness. If you do a Google search you can find it by searching out Jordin Rubin.
Good Luck & God Bless

I have been using Stevia for over a year. I also turned my husband on to it. I like using the liquad. It is sweeter than sugar, I use only two drops in my coffee. I am not sure if the regular has fiber in it but I know the Stevia plus has fiber in it. I never baked with it, but would like to try it some day.

Hi G.,

Best wishes,
www.joyfulconnections.net

I've never baked with it, but Truvia (which is Cargil's stevia product) has this conversion chart:

http://www.truvia.com/conversion-chart.html

Cargill has added a sugar alcohol to "bulk" up the product since Stevia is so sweet--Stevia in the Raw uses dextrose for its bulk . There is nothing artificial about stevia-- it is a natural product that has been used for decades around the world.

The Stevia website says to reduce dry ingredients 25% and use smaller pans for baking. Less calories, less quantity, sounds cool!
http://www.steviaextractintheraw.com/Our-Products.aspx
There are other tips there too about reducing baking time etc.

I LOVE Stevia! I use Stevia Plus (which has fiber in it too). I started using it about 2 yrs ago, when I heard how God aweful Splenda is for you & how it's associated w/ neurological problems.

I have Stevia in my coffee every morning & have used it to bake with as well. On the side of the Stevia Plus bottle (they sell it @ Wegmans & in Giant, in the health food sections) it gives a guideline for how much to use if using as a substitute.

Also, if you have IBS, you should be taking a really good Probiotic if you're not already. Have you looked into allergies (ie: wheat) yet?

Hope that helps some!

I have heard it's the best choice out of all artificial sweeteners: the pink, the blue or the yellow. Stevia is supposed to be better (healthier) than those. Does IBS require you to stay away from real sugar? Just curious as my mom has IBS.

1 / 3