Has Anyone Taken Letrozole (Also Known as Femara) in Order to Get Pregnant?

I have not been having regular cycles since having my first child (now almost 3yrs). My doctor suggested that I take Letrozole/Femara in order to ovulate and hopefully get pregnant. I have not decided if I want to take it yet, and would really appreciate hearing from others who have taken Letrozole and/or Clomid (a similiar drug) before I make a decision. Thanks!

I have taken clomid previously to get pregnant, but was unsuccessful. I had horrible mood swings for a few days after taking the medication. I have a friend that had taken to conceive her three children, a set of twins and a single. She didn't notice any difference in how she felt.

I would do the Clomid first. You can do several cycles with this and it won't harm you. As for the Letrozole this must be something new because I never heard of it. Good luck!!

K. B.

Yes I have taken Letrozole (Femara). To make a very long story short....I was on Clomid and different combinations of Clomid w/other drugs for almost a year with no sucess. I finally saw an IVF specialist and he suggested I try Letrozole as a last chance before recommending IVF. It worked on the first try and I have a gorgeous daughter that will turn 2 in a couple of days. My husband and I are wanting to have a second baby and are planning to try Letrozole again. Would you give me the name of your Dr. that suggested it? We are not from here (we had our daughter in Washington) and I would like to know a doctor that is familiar with using Letrozole. Best of luck to you. I hope that whatever you try will work quickly!

:) K. L.

K. B.

Let me first say I'm sorry you are going through this. Infertility and irregularity are terrible things to deal with when trying to conceive!

We are truly blessed to have our little miracles. After being told I'd never conceive many years ago... we proved them wrong!

It took 15 months and our first round of 50 mg of Clomid but Zack was on his way!

Jess was a different story... Here's our story.

We started trying for Jess in 2004.

We decided to seek medical help on April 25th, 2005.

On 5-8-05 (Mother's Day & CD-35) I started taking Prometrium to force AF into obeying. (Anov. cycle)

5-19-05 - 50-mg of Clomid CD-4 - 8. (15 day LP)

7-1-05 - 100-mg of Clomid CD-4 - 8. (13 day LP)

8-10-05 - 150-mg of Clomid CD-4 - 8. (16 day LP)

9-13-05 - 150-mg of Clomid CD-4 - 8. (18 day LP but possibly Anov)

10-14-05 - 200-mg of Prometrium.

10-27-05 - 200-mg of Clomid on CD-4 - 8. (17 day LP)

12-3-05 - 200-mg of Clomid on CD-4 - 8. (15 day LP)

We decided to try things without Dr's for awhile since I became MEAN on the last round of Clomid. LOL!

1-7-06 - No drugs. No Doctors. (20 day LP - Chem. Preg.)

2-22-06 - No drugs. No Doctors. (19 day LP)

We decided to try the holistic approach until we decided to move on to the RE.

4-14-06 - Vitex (16 day LP)

6-8-06 - 600-mg of Black Cohosh Root & 1000-mg of Vitex. (16 day LP)

8-1-06 - 600-mg of Black Cohosh Root & 1000-mg of Vitex. Again. (17 day LP)

9-14-06 - 600-mg of Black Cohosh Root, 1000-mg of Vitex, 99-mg of Potassium & Reflexology. HOLY CRAP!! IT WORKED!!!

I know that was extremely long but I thought it might be helpful to know that Clomid did work the first time but other methods worked the second time. Vitex is a natural herb that regulated me. If you are interested in herbal methods try reading "The Infertility Cure" by Randine Lewis. It has a test in the book you take to figure out what your deficiencies are and then it tells you what herbs to take for it. It also helps explain what all the herbs do, why they work, and how they do what they do.

If faced with having to take Clomid again I would. My side effects were not bad at all until I had maxed out what my OB would allow. I begged to stay on it longer than he recommended too. I wasn't ready to face that we would need additional help. I went back to work to pay for all of the infertility treatments I thought we would need. IUI was our next step. Within 3 days of starting my new job I conceived though. I firmly believe the holistic approach is what worked for us.

Sorry for the book. LOL!

I have taken Letrozole and Clomid in the past. A couple years ago my Reproductive Endocronologist told me that Letrozole was taken off the market by the FDA for fertility treatmeants and from that point on I didn't take it anymore. You may want to just make sure that it would be safe -double check with your doctor and do some research for yourself online. I ended up doing IVF and delieverd my second son in February. I hope things work out for you. I know how hard it is to wait for a child and try to navigate through doctors, drugs and treatments. Hang in there!

Tried Clomid with no results. 50mg did nothing and 100mg made me a crazed lunatic....
Letrozole is proven to produce more pregnancies and does not have all the bad side effects as Clomid. No luck with Clomid, but conceived my son on Letrozole (that is after surgery (ovarian Drilling)).
When I want to conceive again, I will go right to Letrozole. I refuse to be on Clomid again. It was horrible. If you have the option, choose Letrozole.
Good Luck..

I haven't taken Letrozole but I did take Clomid for three months and got pregnant after the last month. It is worth a try and definitely can't hurt.

I took Femara (brand name) and Follistim injections for 3 cycles and our son Christopher arrived 12/16/05!!! We saw a fabulous reproductive endocrinologist in Indianapolis. Femara and the risk of multiples is low, and our doctor monitored us VERY closely during the process! I wish you the best!!

1 / 3