Has Anyone Taken Fenugreek Pills to Increase Your Milk Supply?

Hi Moms,
I am concerned about my milk supply dwindling now that I have gone back to work. i am pumping at work and there seems to be a supply & demand issue. He drinks more than I pump. I have purchased Fenugreek pills and took 2 today with meals (lunch & dinner). The bottle doesn't really say anything more than "Take one to two daily with meals". I'm curious,....does any one know more information than this? Is two enough? When will I start to see results? Does it work immediately or is it going to take time for my body to adjust? Any info or experience would be appreciated. Thanks!!

WOW!!! Thank you to all the moms that responded. Your advise is much appreciated! I called the lactation consultant and they advised me on how many to take (2-3 pills 3 times per day with meals). I have increased my water intake and am going to squeek in an extra pump session late at night. Thans Again ladies,....I love Mamasource!

I took Fenugreek along with Milkthistle and it started working within about three days. I had to cut down to 1/day after about a week and cut it out entirely after two; But I was taking them to help the milk come in right after my son was born.

I don't have any advise about the pills you are taking. But when I went back to work and was pumping I found that if I had a relaxing break with enough time I would was able to pump much more then if I was stressed an pressed for time. I also pumped more depending on the amount of water I drank. So try to relaxe and drink plenty of water. I pumped for 6 months 2x a day at work. It takes a lot of patiences but worth it in the end. GOOD LUCK!!!

I don't think I used fenugreek in pill form, but Mother's Milk Tea has fenugreek and is wonderfully helpful for increasing milk supply.

here is my list on how to up your supply

1. rent a hospital grade pump..Medela Classic is what i used.it's
$3 a day and totally worth it at the Pump Station in L.A. OR better yet buy one off ebay like i did and
when you're done you can re-sell it on ebay and get your money back.
i bought one and it works great..the medela classic is supposed to be
the best pump out there.
2. get the Easy Expression bra www.easyexpressionproducts.com it
holds both cups over you bb's and it's better to pump 2 at a time
3. eat oatmeal ....get the healthy kind i add bananas also i would
think pasta would be good b/c it retains water
4. Take "Lactation Supplement" by Gaia Herbs you can find it at the
health food store
5. try to pump at the same time every day...also try power pumping..
10 minutes pumping..then stop for 10 then 10 again and then stop and
so on. even pump if you aren't getting anything.
6. Make sure the white membrane thingies that attach onto the cups
are fairly new ..over used ones affect how much milk you get
7. Drink lots of fluids including Nursing Mom's tea or Mother's Milk
tea or the tea i prefer is www.breastea.com ..also drinks with
electrolytes like Recharge...Smart Water...Gatorade i notice on days
i drink a lot of fluids i have more milk
8. Eat barley..Barley Grass supplements are great. also..they have
barley bread at Trader Joe's if you have a Trader Joe's where you
live..or just buy barley. I buy a delicious barley tea at the
japanese market and i drink a couple of cups a day..it's decaf and
yummy.
i also drink Healthy Mom's drinks by Ensure
9.A warm wash cloth helps too ..apply to breasts before pumping or
try the breast heating pads that you heat up in the microwave.
10. Keep taking your prenatal vitamin..not getting a lot of milk
could mean a vitamin deficiency
even if you pump just a little ..save what you get and start adding
them together and then supplement with the milk that you pump..that's
why it's also good to pump after they've gone to sleep..then you help
build your supply and you also have more bb milk for baby..
11. nurse nurse nurse..triple up on nursing..you're going to have to
dedicate a week to it
the more you pump the more milk you'll begin to make.
12. LOTS OF REST..nap if you can ..milk builds when you rest
13. DHA supplements also are great for lactation..also found at the
health food store*
14. Alfalfa supplements are also great.
i think that's it..
15. Try a whey protein powder drink.. i use "Whey to Go" by
Solgar..you mix it with milk add some berries and a banana. it says
to check with your doc before using if you're bfing..so ask your
doc..i only drink one a day and i add a some Motherlove's "More Milk
Plus" to it.
16. Again you should double pump when you're pumping so make sure you
get the bra to make it easier on you!
17. Goat's Rue herb is also supposed to help boost
honestly drink LOTS of liquids
keep yourself moist ...don't take any birth control pills.
18. there is also this stuff called Motilium aka DOM a lot of mom's
use this ..it's for reflux but it builds up your supply.. you can
read about it on Kellymom.com http://www.kellymom.com/newman/19a-
domperidone1.html
and you can buy it here... http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/general/
motilium.html

When you are with your son, have him nurse rather than you or anyone giving him a bottle. Your milk supply will increase with actual nursing - pumping does not give your body the same effect.

I've heard good things about fenugreek - when my daughter was tiny, I would drink a cup or two of the Yogi Nursing Mother tea (has fenugreek in it) and I've always had an abundant supply of milk. Have no idea whether to attribute that to the tea, however :) Also whole grains supposedly work for maintaining a good milk supply. Try oatmeal in the morning, and whole grain main or side dishes with lunch and/or dinner.

I tried fenugreek but it didn't work for me--however, my supply issues were not the norm. I've heard that beer can increase your supply, too (again, not in my case, but others have been successful).

Fenugreek should work well but I've always had amazing results with More Milk Plus, a tincture you can find at Mothers and Henrys. Its by motherlove and has fenugreek among other galactagues in it...

good luck,
Jill, Mother of Two Nurslings thus far

I took the pills as instructed. Drank Mother's Milk tea, and More Milk Plus comes as tincture and pills. Everyone reacts differently try and see. Oh I also ate oatmeal for breakfast.
Most of all relax. Easier said than done. One last advice take it easy on yourself.

This site has great tips about increasing milk supply:

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/galact.asp

Also, co-sleeping and nursing through the night to increase breast stimulation and night feeding might be an option. Hope this helps!

D. K.

Check with your doctor as this could affect your baby's health. I was told to drink tea, milk and juices. Tea is a big milk producer in mothers milk. At least this is what I was told.

I took fenugreek (2 capsules 3x/day) and it helped some. It took about 3 days to show much of an increase. What helped me more was Lactate Support capsules by Gaia Herbs. It has fenugreek, anise, marshmallow root and some other stuff. With that, I noticed a difference within a couple hours of taking my first dose. It was significantly more expensive (about 3x the cost) of the fenugreek, but it more than maid up for the cost in effectiveness. If you go to http://www.gaiaherbs.com you can type in your zip code and find stores near you that sell their products.

1 / 3