A.P. asks from Peoria, IL on October 25, 2007
Has Anyone Taken a Weekly Progesterone Shot to Prevent Early Labor??
My ob/gyn suggested that I consider taking a weekly shot (17a hydroxyprogesterone caproate) to prevent preterm delivery since I delivered my first son 4 weeks early and was on bedrest for about 3 weeks prior. I was wondering if anyone else has taken it. I was not given much info about it, my ob said that we would discuss it at my next checkup. I have also looked on-line but have not really found any info that was all that helpful. I am just wondering about possible side effects to the baby and/or myself.
Thank you! A.
So What Happened?™
Thank you to everyone who responded. I'm glad to hear that there have been so many good outcomes with taking the shot. I have since talked to my ob/gyn and I will be starting the shots this coming friday. Thanks again for all the great advice. =)....UPDATE....I did not go into preterm labor this time around!! I guess the shots worked well for me. I was induced at 38 weeks and had a beautiful, healthy baby boy on March 31.
M.B. answers from Kansas City on October 26, 2007
I took the pills instead of the shot. I didn't have any side effects, except for being sleepy (but that's kinda normal when you are pregnant). After a few miscarrages, I was up for whatever would save my baby and it did. Good Luck!
A.B. answers from Kansas City on October 26, 2007
I was on the shots weekly from the beginning to end of my last 3 pregnancies. Some of the shots can be uncomfortable and leave you sore but you get used to it. It can also cause knots under the skin at the injection sites but they will go away in time. Its never any fun to have to get shots every week but it's really not that bad and it does help.
N.G. answers from St. Louis on April 12, 2008
A., NO not to prevent preterm delivery,but I did take Progesterone pills before I was pregnant and till I was 12wks to help me STAY pregnant. The Progesterone is what would keep the baby alive till the placenta kicked in? This is what I was told after M/C 2 times having my son and M/C once and having my daughter I am now 41 children 8 and 5 and As far as I know no side effects and I have a beautiful healthy family because of his good judgement.
Best of luch~ Prayers w/you..... N.
L.E. answers from Springfield on October 26, 2007
I took the shot with my youngest you, We had no side effects to it, but i will tell you I still had my son at 7 weeks early. I do believed they helped, but there is still a chance you will go early. Not to scare you. Just wanted to let you know they are not 100%. But if i had to do it again I would take the shot. Good luck and best wishes to you.
J.R. answers from Lafayette on October 25, 2007
I took it with my pregnancy with our daughter. After losing twins born 4 mos too early, we told them ANY and ALL precautions, pull out all the stops if you have to hang my by my toes for 10 mos. She was born the day before her due date. There were no side effects other than the shot itself hurt (was an in the muscle shot eeeks) as for long term...I have the paperwork around here somewhere, i'll see if I can find that for you
C.L. answers from St. Louis on October 26, 2007
I took a progesterone shot for 13 weeks at the beginning of my pregnancy. I won't lie to you, sometime sit can be a little uncomfortable since it is an oil, and needs a larger needle. I think my hubby got off jabbing the needle in my A** every morning. 95% of the time it was fine, but then there was the other 5% of the time he didn't do such a good job.
Since you only have to do it once a week, I am sure you can handle it. I have know women that had to do it longer then me!
J.T. answers from Kansas City on October 26, 2007
My name is J.. I have a daughter her name is A. also she had to take progestern shot during her entire pregnancy to keep her from going into early labor. They did her wonders and she stopped it the week before she had her son. She called it the miracle shot that saved her baby. She had no side affects and her baby turned out wonderful. There is no harm to you or your baby from the shots and if it saves your baby its worth it. Good Luck.