Has Anyone Made Their Own Homemade Formula?

I am looking into the possibility of making my own formula for my 8 week old son. He is suffering from severe reflux. Has anyone ever made their own formula? Do you think that raw goat's milk or raw cow's milk is best? I have friends who have used both and both children are thriving and doing well. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had any experience with this.

I raised all three of my b abies on 1/4b cup white karo corn syrup one can of pet evaporated milk 3 parts sterile water,b abies have no gastric problems at all very healthy.

I'm not sure if that is a good idea. Doesn't raw milk mean that it is unpasteurized (not good for babies)? Also, the nutrient content is very different. I can say that I had 3 kids with bad reflux. Nothing makes it go away. However, certain meds (like reglan & zantac) can help as can making certain changes in the formula. My daughter did pretty good with Enfamil AR. It's a bit thicker. One of my sons had to have blenderized rice cereal added to his--under the advice of a nutritionist. It also helps to have them sleep with their head elevated (using a wedge made for the crib or putting blankets under one end of the crib mattress).

Sorry so late, but there is a book called "Breaking the vicious cycle", in there there is not only a lot about what later reflux causes (which is what you are going to prevent), but how to make your own formula that is way healthier than someone can manufacture!!!! Good god, everyone likes to rely on medications and manufactured food, great job looking for the best alternatives. You will be smart, hope this helps.

Also, you can use almond milk fortified with cod liver oil and a vitamin/mineral addition that either your ped can advise for this age or a good natural food store can carry.

I assume you have already stopped nursing, but removing dairy from your diet with nursing can be huge for many.

J

i know cow's milk contains many allergens (23 is I believe the correct number?), also, as you probably know, make SURE you know everything about the goats. Not being pasturized does keep in many of the nutrients, but can be scary if they are not fed a proper diet or be in very healthy living conditions. I would agree to look into a breast milk bank though, to be honest with you. 8 weeks is young to be digesting anything but human breastmilk.

Have you tried medication yet? Sometimes it takes trying a few different prescriptions before you find the right one that your child will respond to. I'm assuming you are unable to breastfeed (which would obviously be the safest, most nutritious option)? Have you tried different brands of formula? There are so many options on the market now, maybe it's worth trying some of the different brands the other commenters are recommending. I think you should only resort to making your own formula as a last resort and in close concert with your pediatrician. The digestive system is still developing at 8 weeks and I would guess that using cow or goat milk would make things much worse rather than better--adding abdominal discomfort/digestion issues to the mix. There have been a couple of stories in the news the last couple of years of the tragic results when parents were not feeding their newborns breastmilk or formula and were not bringing their infants to regular pediatric checkups. It's really vital at this age to see your child's pediatrician regularly and not play around with your child's nutritional needs. I'm sure you have only the best intentions but it really is potentially very dangerous to your child to play around with this.

Homemade formula's can be great! Esp. with all the 'bad' ones on the market today. I haven't made my own but I did sub. goats milk with breastmilk. Just dont use the goats milk by itself, it does lack a few vit/minerals. Goats milk is the best next to your breastmilk, I wouldn't use the cows milk. It lacks a lot of vitamins! Your ped. may not agree with you on this one but that doesnt mean anything. You know whats best for your baby. There is research out there on this one. If your dr cant help, find one that will. I would suggest taking him to see a chiropractor too for the reflux. They could also help with the formula:) A little open mindness goes a long way with a child. Best of luck!
Jamie

I can't speak on making your own.I think you should consult your babies ped. before doing this also.As for the reflux, my baby also had this problem.So bad so that it was causing him to sound like he would stop breathing while feeding and he wouldn't eat.My childs doctor prescribed 2 types of reflux med. and it worked great and he never had any problem.I say call your childs doctor and ask them to call in something for reflux and first try that before switching his formula,especially for homemade type.Or atleast ask the doctor if this is ok.Just because it worked for another
mother and child doesn't ness. make it the right choice for you.Please speak with your doctor first.

In response to Jamies post: I know she means well, but if you know your doctor would disagree with you on this,then some part of you knows it's not the best way and it should matter ALOT if your doctor says that it is not a good idea.I don't think you should go against instints when it comes to doctors orders and certain issues but this is a matter of choice not protective intuition.And there are so many other options out there rather than sub. milk that is meant for goats and cows.Even simple things such as keeping your baby propped up for 30 mins after feeding and propping his crib up at night also helps alot if you don't want to go the rx route.Besides,why feed YOUR baby with milk meant for farm animals?Especially since you have milk that's meant for him right in your own body!Doctors may not know all when it comes to mothering but on issues such as this one,I think you should consult someone who has MEDICAL knowledge of this not just someone who has made the same mistake in the past and aren't aware of the long term issues.Kinda like a pregnant mother ignoring the fact that smoking can cause health problems with her baby but assuming that since the baby was born healthy that is caused no long term issues.And as far as Jamie saying if your doctor doesn't agree with you find one that does?I don't understand that logic but that's not a route to take when it regards your baby.You don' just keep asking someone until you get the answer that you wan't rather than the one that is right.

In my 30+yrs of life, 2 kids and babysitter to many, I have never heard of homemade formula.

I used to babysit a boy with reflux and he was on liquid zantax (spelling) which helped. Also, make sure the baby is in an elavated position for about 30 mins after feedings in a boppy pillow, reclined infant swing or even her carseat. More than likely she will out grow this as her digestive system finishes developing. Also, you might want to try to feed her smaller amounts at a time so there isn't as much in her belly. I know at 8weeks she doesn't eat a whole lot as it is but if she takes an ounce per feeding only let her eat 1/4 of it, burp her, wait a few mins if possible and fed her anohter 1/4 and so on. If she tollerates that well, try 1/2 an ounce at a time.

But also you need to look at which brand and type of formula you are using. Good start is the closest thing on the market to breast milk. I used it on my son after I had to stop nursing him and his BMs didn't really change. I used Enfamil on my Daughter and she had gas and constipation problems and I hear mom's complain of the same thing still to this day about that brand.

I know there is nothing more frustrating than a baby that spits up all the time but it is just one of those things we have to deal with and watch it get better over time.

Good luck!!
~S.

Check out www.westonaprice.org for a couple great recipies! Good luck!

1 / 3