Has Anyone Ever Heard of Putting Baby Food Besides Cereal in the Baby's Bottle?

I was watching a show last night about single parents and their struggles and was in shock when one mother poured a jar of baby sweet potatoes in her baby's bottle. I've never seen or heard of such a thing. To me it seems like it would just add on to extra calories and tooth decay. But then again on the other hand I realized that it's still the same diet that most people go by for their baby, just more convenient. Has anyone else ever tried it before? Please keep in mind that I DON'T plan on doing this.

Wow, thanks so much to everyone that has responded! I simply had never heard about it before and just was a little curious (: my baby was pure breastfed for her first 6 months and I just now am starting to supplement her with some formula about once a day since I'm not producing enough to pump or keep up with her. I started giving her food though around 5 months and she knows how to eat well off of a spoon. She's now 7 months and I'm slowly switching her to sippy cups (: I agree that it does appear as a "lazy" way to feed your baby and it delays them from eating out of a spoon, but some of your guys feedback was really helpful as to understanding this. I agree that with babies who are constipated putting some prune baby food in the bottle would be okay (as long as the nipple was designed for it, such as a cereal nipple). The only harm I see that could come from it would be that it could delay the baby from eating from a spoon and would make it more difficult for baby to get her milk out of the bottle if the right nipple wasn't used. I don't plan on doing it though, but I have witnessed worse such as soda pop and chocolate milk being fed to some infants through their bottles.

In my opinion, these moms that do this are not giving their child the opportunity to learn to EAT and sit at a table and grab foods with their chubby fingers. Yes it might be easier for the single moms, but they're putting their children behind others with more opportunities.

I had an infant feeder when my baby's were baby's (In The 80's) and It was very convient when you are out and about, or in the car. There is nothing wrong with that, at home I used it until they could be spoon feed, no over weight baby's or tooth decay. The moms who are against this are uneducated, and uninformed, Jill doesn't sound like she believes in feeding a baby under a year old, everyone has an opinion, that is what this sight is used for. J.

This is done in some parts of Europe and seems to have no ill effects. The biggest concern is putting babies to sleep with a bottle of anything other than water, as the bottle contents (even milk) do great damage to the teeth. Visit any pediatric dentist and you'll see the posters showing the damage that can be done.
Most pediatricians will not condone giving anything other than milk/formula to babies under about 4 months, because their stomachs and digestive systems can't process. After that however, they usually say it's OK to introduce very soft food one ingredient at a time.
Whether this soft food goes in via a spoon or a bottle is more a matter of culture than health. The biggest danger would appear to be leaving a baby un-supervised with a bottle, but you don't say that happened.

I put prune baby food in my daughters bottle to combat constipation. Then sometimes would put in other foods as well.

Never! That's the craziest/laziest thing I've heard of lately!!
You shouldn't put anything but formula/breastmilk in a bottle unless your pediatrician recommends adding single-grain cereal to help allieviate reflux. By putting baby food in a bottle, you make the baby have to suck much harder to get the food thereby increasing the chance for choking/aspirating. You also skip teaching the baby the important skill of eating from a spoon.

wow! i read some of the responses, but not all.. I did this w/ cereal for all 3 of my kids... and I started them earlier so they'd sleep thru the nite. I would mix more fruits then anything so they wouldnt bind w/ just cereal alone & it kept things 'moving'..lol all 3 of my kids are fine.. they were spoon feeding by 5-6 mnths. by 8 months they were all together off a bottle and onto sippys or nuby cup. also by 8mnth they were eating mushy 'table' food if you will. real mash potatoes, soft meat(like mtballs) boiled carrots.. I would even do veggie soup and blend it in one of those bullet blenders. I personally think it's up to the parent and how the baby/child reacts or prefers things. My kids haven't had any adverse side effect. they're all healthy weight, eat with proper spoons/forks. can drink out of cups. no tooth decay. i think just alot of parents freak out nowadays.. lol

I know many peds who advise to put cereal in bottles , which I don't like that to be honest and never did , but I've never heard of putting actual pureed food into a bottle , that just seems strange!

Please don't do that! Milk, water or juice only in a bottle, please. No cereal, no food, and certainly no soda pop like one of my friends did. (I was totally horrified :( )

1 / 3