Hardwood Floors Dull and Streaked!!!

Hello. I was wondering if anyone had and advice on the best way to clean hardwood floors. I have been using Orange Glo, but recently the cleaner has been leaving streaks where I squeaze it on the floor. I can go back and work the streaks out, but it is incredibly frustrating. Is there a better cleaner or method to bring back the shine?

I had the same problem with Holloway House and it made it sticky too...I have found the best thing to use for cleaning is the "flax soap"...the brand escapes me right now, but it's the only thing that gives it a great shine and really gets it clean. I will never buy any of the gimmicky cleaners again.
I also have had to mop my floors several times to get the remnants off of the floor...frustrating.

Hi D.,
I used the vinegar and water and didn't like it at all. I know it's safer and all but I never thought my floor was ever clean enough and I still saw streaks, no matter hosw diluted or not diluted I made it.....plus the smell...UGH! I REALLY like the Pledge wood cleaner. It's in a yellow bottle. I have had the BEST luck with it. You squeeze it directly onto the floor. I use a microfiber pad and it's wonderful.

I have heard the water on wood, no good too and I have to say that I agree.

K. :~)

We usually use Murphy's oil soap on our wood floors. However, our floors are old, not new and shiny.

I would use vinegar & water, but be careful about the water. It can warp your wood. I would just make sure you don't let your mop or rag have too much water and wipe the floor well. Other than that, I also use Bona wood cleaner from Restoration Hardware.

Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner. Works great. Be careful with water on your floors...it can dry the wood out.

When we got our floors done they told us to use a mixture of water and windex. I'm not sure of the exact ratio but I think it is 5:1. Also you dont' want to mop the floors alot. The water will start to work it's way in between the boards and ruin the floors. I have a windex bottle that has water mixed with it and I do spot cleaning every few days, once evry couple of weeks I'll use a wet wash cloth and go around with it on my foot and clean the floors that way and usually only about 6-7 times a year will I actually pull out the mop.

Did you get the pre laminate or the "real" hardwood floors??

We just had our wood floor refinished, and was told to use vinegar and water to clean them.

In the past I have steeped some tea bags, let it cool and then applied this after washing the floor.

You could try using white vinegar diluted in water (I think 1/2 cup in a gallon of water) to clean hardwood floors. If you're not ready to give up your commercial cleaners, dilute them in water first before mopping. You can also use a second mop to 'dry' the floors after washing them.

I use products from my home business - Melaleuca - tough and tender diluted in a spray bottle wiped with a soft cloth creates a beautiful shine - no streaks- and no toxic chemical smell. If you are interested in natural products - visit my profile and message me.

1 / 3