Hardwood Floors and Dog Hair

Ok now that we have our beautiful hardwood floors in, I am constantly seeing dog hair tumbleweeds. Anyone have a tip on how to keep them in check? Our dog sheds quite a bit and with the dark floors I need a way to keep it picked up.

I've been running the vacuum to get it but wondering if there's an easier way.

~ t

WOW!! Thanks to everyone!! I really do appreciate your advice and shoulder. :o) Our dog is a BLONDE Australian Cattle Dog and we have ESPRESSO colored floors.... not a good combination. If she wasn't such a sweetie I would also have a craigslist ad running, LOL. ;o)

Anyway, I am going to get one of the huge janitor sweeper things. Maybe a Swiffer Vacuum too. Our floors are hickory so they're quite a bit harder than oak.

~ t

We have 2 labs and laminate floors - I totally understand. We have 2 different ways - one is a microfiber mop (I got it at Linens and Things) and we use a spray especially made for hardwoods/laminates called Bona, but you can only get the spray at Elliot's Hardware.

For quick cleaning, we also have one of those industrial terry-cloth mops (dry) that we slide through the entire house and shake if off out of the door.

Nope. I have the exact same issue. All you can do is vacuum every day. I did get the Swiffer vacuum http://www.swiffer.com/swiffer/en_US/sweepervac.do for those quick touch ups on the hardwood when company is coming, etc. It was inexpensive, and so much easier than dragging out the regular vacuum for those instances. One benefit to that too, is that my son (almost 2) loves to get the regular Swiffer and follow me around "swiffering" himself. He isn't helping much at this age, but he has fun and it's good training for later!!!!

We also have hardwood floors and 2 dogs. I use the Swiffer everyday to get those little dust bunnies. Plus, the kids love to help do it.

I've got four cats and tile. I feel your pain.

The swiffer sweeper is the best solution -- it's like a regular swiffer with a light vacuum at the front; what the vacuum doesn't suck up (and it's phenomenal with pet hair), the cloth part does.

I swiffer daily...with all the hair I pick up everyday it's gross to think of what goes unnoticed with carpet!

We have wood floors in our entire house and two large, shedding dogs. We have enough hair to make another dog! The best thing I've found is to get one of those very large dust mops from Home Depot like they use in school gyms. They really grab the hair well and all the dirt. I sweep the hair into a big pile and use a dust pan and smaller broom to get all of it up. Once I get all of it up, I vacuum all the rugs and then use the Orange Glo Hardwood Floor Cleaner(can buy at Target) to clean all the floors. I usually dry sweep every other day but only clean the floors about once a week. This works best for us.

N.

I use the swivel sweeper at least 2 x a day - amazing how much dogs shed - but I love this!!! I have all tile and laminate flooring.

Looks like you have alot of good advice! One of our dogs sheds 12 MONTHS A YEAR! He is light, my floors are dark...I feel your pain! I like to vacuum, that definately seems to work the best, but can be a challange daily basis, esp. with a two year old! You can go through swiffers very easily with alot of fur, unless you get that giant swiffer with a washable pad. That may actually be the swivel sweeper. Finally, a good old fashioned soft brisel broom and dustpan always do the trick, just watch flyaways. I personally would not use an industrial broom as you could scratch the finish on the floor over time and you will be having a whole different kind of day!

Good luck! If you come up with a really easy way to do it, please let me know!!!

1 / 3