Hand Rolling, Scared of Autism Risk

My son has been doing this "hand rolling" thing (looks like hes revving up a motorcycle) for the past few months, he is 6 months old now and he started doing it at the pediatrician the other day and it reminded me to ask about it, he made a worried face but said "he makes good eye contact with you and reactions so I wouldnt worry" Him saying this made me think.. why did he have that face. So I came home and looked it up and bam.. hand rolling and autism link. I started freaking out. He babbles ALOT, Smiles and laughs ALOT, makes a ton of eye contact. So basically the only "symptom" is the hand rolling thing. It is not all the time but he does it alot. I'm trying really hard to stop worrying about this, did anyone else's child do this and it be nothing? It's getting hard to think of anything else but this.

My brain knows this.. :) my brain keeps telling me, T. stop worrying, its too early hes too young and hes so smart and responsive and hes perfect. But that little tiny voice in the back is screaming at me saying I dont want to be one of those parents that dont "see" something because theyre scared of the outcome, you know? But for now I will try to shush that voice up :)

Way WAY too young to be thinking about an autism diagnosis.

Six months old? It means nothing!

Me on the phone with the ped for my first baby:
Doc, I think he's got a third arm growing out the center of his back!

Doc: Oh, perfectly normal for that age! Don't worry about it, wait and see!

Relax Mom!

:)

How old is your little guy?

I know it's scary, but if it helps... Autism is diagnosed based on the consistent prevalence of several different characteristics and behaviors. Yes, self-stimulating, "stimming", behaviors are one of those characteristics, but not the sole or defining hallmark. Many many young children engage in repetitive behaviors for varying reasons, but mostly b/c they are exploring how their bodies work and it's fun!

For my son, he walked on his toes for a couple of months and being a child psychologist I freaked out b/c that too can be a symptom of children on the spectrum. It was nothing- just playing around with what his body could do.

The most profound signal that a child may have Autism actually surrounds the development of the child's communication and language skills (including social interactions). Essentially, children with Autism "have it then lose it" or regress significantly around the age of 2.

Based on your child's picture (unless it's really old), he's far too young to be diagnosed with Autism and very likely, he's just exploring what his body can do and learning how to control it!

Six months old? It means nothing!

Relax Mom!

:)

My son did this at about the same age. We called it "Doing the Motorcycle". 8) It lasted a couple of months or so. I'm guessing he did it because he could and that it probably felt pretty good. It remember thinking how cute it was. It never worried me.

My child didn't do that, but my kids always exhibit random symptoms of things that make my inner crazy come out! I'm not implying that you're crazy ;), but I understand the worry you have. It sounds like he's fine. Babies like to play with their hands once they discover they exist! My SIL kept taking her oldest to the pediatrician b/c she kept playing with her ears and they feared infection until finally the doctor said, stop worrying, she just found them and likes to explore! It doesn't sound like he has autism.

6 months old is way too young to know if he is autistic - more likely he's thinking, "Hey! Look at this cool thing I can do with my hands!"

Don't worry! It is totally normal; my baby (a little older than yours) does it too, and has no other symptoms. You cannot diagnose autism until closer to 18 months -- it is WAY too early to be worrying about such things, especially when rolling (my baby does it with her feet, too, as to the babies of some of my friends) is normal.

Remember, always look at the big picture. My baby didn't roll over until 7 months or laugh until 6 months. But otherwise, she was perfectly normal -- she smiled, made tons of eye contact, and even pulled to stand. Don't fixate at one particular behavior or delay if the child is normal otherwise.

my DD did that around 6 months. She would do it on our arms. She is almost 8 months now and she doesn't do it anymore. I wouldn't give it another thought.

My son does that and he definately isn't autistic. When my oldest son was little, he'd have autistic symptoms and terettes syndrome symptoms directly related to food allergies. I'm not saying this is food allergies but just trying to put your mind at ease. Having a habit like that is just a habit. It seems like he'd have more symptoms if there was a concern. Good luck!!! =)

1 / 3