Halo Sleep Sack Vs. Blanket for 1 Year Old

My son who just turned a year has been sleeping in his 'Halo' Sleepsack and I'm wondering if he's old enough to go to sleep with a blanket instead. Does anyone have any experiences with this? I don't know if a blanket would be too distracting anyway and he has no issues with sleeping in his sleepsack, but I was just curious as to how any other experienced moms deal with this. I'd appreciate any comments or advice on this :)

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure if he'd be too young for a blanket yet or not. I must say, this website is awsome! I really enjoy that so many parents share their experiences.

G.-

I kept my daughter in her sleep sack until she was out of the crib at 18 months. Then she graduated to blankets and pillows. My other daugther was out of her sleep sack right around 1 yr. Mostly because her sister kept climbing in the crib.

J.-mom of 2 girls (4 & 2)

G.-

J.-mom of 2 girls (4 & 2)

My daughter was also sleeping in the Halo sleepsack until she outgrew it at about 10 months old. We then switched her to a lightweight blanket. Since it was November and she really didn't keep the blanket on her as she slept, we also put her in a heavy sleeper with feet and also a onesie on underneath that. Hope this helps!

G.-

My 14 month old still uses his Halo sleepsack about half the time. We asked the pediatrician at the 1 month check up if he could use blankets and pillows now. She okayed the blankets (but no pillows yet).

However, he doesn't keep his blanket on him. So we have stuck with the sleep sacks or fleece sleepers and that seems to work well. He still has a receiving blanket with him too that he sometimes uses to snuggle up with.

A relatively light weight regular blanket is just fine for a one year old.

My son wore the halo sleep sack all the way up to the point that he was almost 2. My daughter who is almost a year old is still wearing sleep sacks. I found it was the best way to ensure that they stayed covered all night long (especially in the winter time). Ever since we stopped using the sleep sack with my son, I can't seem to get him interested in a blanket. Maybe you should experiment to see whether your son will sleep with a blanket. If not, you may want to stick with the sleep sack to give yourself the peace of mind. They even make the sleep sacks in toddler sizes now.

My little girl also outgrew her Halosack. Also, the Halosack doesn't really allow them to crawl around if they want to in the crib in the middle of the night.
I try putting a lightweight blanket on her but she throws it off at night.
So I've resorted to putting her in a cozy sleeper with those anti-skid feet, so she is warm even if she throws the covers off. It covers her arms and feet. Carter's makes the best ones; they are little more expensive but much better quality and durability.

Hi G.,
I also have a one year old son. My son sleeps with a blanket and he does just fine. He won't go to sleep unless he has a blanket to cuddle in. My son is also a light sleeper so if he is uncomfortable in any way he wakes up. If your son is a pretty heavy sleeper my advice would probably be to keep him in the sleep sack till he gets a little older. Try a blanket with a nap and see how he does. Hope this helps.

I have a son that is 16 months old and I was also wondering if he is old enough to use a blanket also. He used to sleep in a sleep sack when he was younger but is now to long for even the extra large. I just put him in a sweat suit and he seems to be fine. I asked the doctor about the blanket though about a week ago and he said that I could put a thin blanket on him if I wanted too. Nothing too thick. I figure that a thin blanket isn't going to do too much anyway. Hope this helps

1 / 3