Half Marathon - Help!

Any moms out there have advice on training for a half marathon. A friend wants me to join her in this 13+ mile run in 5 months. I am not sure how to train. I do some treadmill jogging/walking, but I don't know if 5 months is enough time to be physically ready for such a run. Any advice? I currently walk/jog 2 miles 4 to 5 days per week on a treadmill. I have done no "stree" jogging.

That is great. When I trained for a 1/2 marathon I used the book Marathoning for Mortals. It was helpful and easy to follow. The most I had ran before that was 5 miles. Good luck in training.

Hi There,
Good for you. I ran my 1st 1/2 marathon in January and am planning on running the full in January 2011. I bought a training guide on-line to help me prepare. The training guide has you running 4 days/week and it is a 4 month schedule. It does say though that you should be able to run 30 minutes prior to starting the training. If you would like to send me your email address, I would be more than happy to email the book to you. Good Luck with your training! I really enjoyed my training and all the benefits that came with it, like less stress, better sleep, losing weight and the finish the race was pretty great. I would also suggest signing up for a smaller race or two before the big one. It will prepare you for what it is like. The Pat Tillman 4.2 mile race is April 17th.

I highly recommend that you do some street jogging. Make sure you have the right shoes for your feet. If you will be wearing shorts, you may want to get a product callled "Glide" to put on your thighs and the insides of your arms to avoid chafing.
Since that will be your first, don't get excited and start out too fast--pace yourself.
If you would like to know about the sports nutrition that many olympians use, let me know.
Good luck and have fun!
V.

Way to go! 5 months is plenty of time to train for a 1/2 marathon. As mentioned below good running shoes are key. I would definitely find a running store or go to Road Runner's Sports (on-line). Also having a good stretching program is a necessity along with some core/glut (think butt here) strengthening. You want to protect your knees and feet and the best way to do that is maintain your flexibility and keep up your core/glut strength.

There are lots of training approaches out there but one that would fit with your current approach of walk/jog is the "Jeff Galloway" training method. Here is the website: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html

In addition to be an Independent Consultant with Arbonne International I am also a physical therapist so if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck!

C. B Palmer
www.linabean.myarbonne.com

Good for you!!! I ran a half Sunday after having only 7 weeks to train so you can DEF be ready in 5 months. Before starting a training plan head to the nearest running store and get yourself fitted with approriate shoes. Then I would suggest only 1 treadmill run per week...do the rest outside. Start with doing 2-3 days of your normal 2-3 miles and then 1 long run a week...start with 4 miles the first week. Increase your long run by 10 minutes each week. After a few weeks switch one of your easy runs to a fast pace run and one to running hills. Then start adding mileage to your short runs...3-5 each run plus one long run a week. Be sure to stay hydrated and have FUN!!!

5 months is more then enough time. Most people start about 16 weeks out to train for a marathon (26.2 miles). You can goolge good training programs just type in "training for half marathon", also look at "Runner's World" magazine they have lots of tips. Get out on the street and start running/ walking, it is different, a lot more fun, I find tread mills mind numbing. But it is a bit harder physically and only increase your milage 10% a week to avoid injury. Maybe you can find a running group, ask at a local running shoe store. Sounds like a lot of fun, enjoy

Just wanted to throw out there - in addition to getting properly fitted for shoes, get a good bra while you're at it. They're pricey, but well worth it. Most running stores now carry a wide selection. I can tell you I'm partial to the Moving Comfort brand, but there are many good ones out there that are more than just a tight piece of spandex to smash you down.

Awesome! Good for you! I love running/jogging but I do the 5K or ½ mile kids run with my kids. My husband runs the L.A. Marathon every year and he says the best training he gets is when he runs outdoors because he is running slopes, hills, turns…stuff you can’t do on a treadmill.
I totally ditto Brandy C. too about doing a couple of smaller races before.

Check out this site for races in your area, tips and advice:

www.active.com

GOOD LUCK!!!

The most physically well and fit I've ever felt was when I training for my first half marathon, so I would definitely recommend it!

Good shoes are a definite must. A good running store will make recommendations after looking at your feet and your gait.
Just don't run the race in new shoes.

I started by googling "half marathon training schedule." I found websites full of tips and tons of resources. There are a variety of schedules you could use. I chose the one of beginners, which increases your mileage in a very do-able way and made the training process much more manageable for me.

A lot of people join running groups for comraderie and motivation, but I love running by myself and having that quiet time.

However you do it, good luck!!

1 / 3