Hair Removal for 9 Year Old Girl

I have a daughter who will be 9 in July and going into 4th grade this fall. She has a lot of dark, thick hair on her legs, arms, back, etc. She hasn't mentioned anything yet about the hair bothering her or wanting it gone but I know it is just a matter of time. What is the best way to have the hair removed (just legs)? We are debating between shaving (is she ready?) and Nair. I would love to hear when other people's daughters started "shaving" their legs and how they went about it. Thanks much!

I personally was about 12 when I started shaving with my moms' electric razor. I didn't use a hand one till I was about 14.

I had to start shaving in 3rd grade, so I can sympathize. Looking back I wish I would have done nair instead because I now have thick black hair that grows in after I shave and I hate it.
Perhaps the hair that grows back in wouldn't be as thick if I had used nair? That's my 2 cents. :)

My daughter whom is nine is developing pretty quick (is getting hair everywhere). We recently went on vacation in March and decided to shave under her arms. Since then she hasn't shaved it and it's a non issue for her. She started using deodorant this year too.
I think it bothers me more especially with swim suit season coming. It is such a pain shaving legs (just my opinion) The hair on her legs is just fine for a maturing girl and I am giving her the option when it starts to bother her. She'll be 10 in July. Nair is a very harsh chemical and can cause a serious reaction on the skin. I would personally avoid it.

I second the thought about an electric razor- no scars from slip ups and no chemicals.

I started shaving when I was 11. It is SO important to have a good, sharp razor!!! Don't let her use the cheap disposable ones.
Nair (as well as Veet and other depilatories) is kind of touch and go. It is easy to get burned and isn't reliable.
If you're going to wax you should take her to a salon. You will be able to get it done better and faster without the trial and error. It costs more and is not painless, but it doesn't have to be done as often and really does have nicer results, especially if her hair is dark (I know how hard that is to deal with!).

Good for you to be aware. SInce you are, it will be smooth. I just do know you have some time to think of it. If it is not bothering her yet, do not let it bother you. When it becomes the social norm and you are "open" she will let you know. MY DS is 11 and all of the girls in his 5th grade are running around with hairy legs, arms and a few strings in the pit..... Leg hair is cosmetic, not a hygine need. So, I think I would wait and then let her take the lead. Whatever the "friends" are doing is what she is going to want to do. Right now, I would not worry about it.

The girl I used to nanny used Nair when she started out(she was 11). It is less scary than shaving and she could do it on her own once you taught her how.

Have you ever heard of Nads? It's gentle hair removal system. No heating involved.....just spread on the skin and apply the cloth strips and then peel away. It's pretty painless and the cloth strips are washable and reuseable.

My bestfriend growing up had this rule. She could start shaving (around 4th grade as well) but...if she started she had to continually shave it couldn't be a I wanna try it this week but not shave anymore next week. I thought that was a good rule.

1 / 3