Hair Help - Course Kinky Hair

Hi, my momis having a horrible time with her hair. As she gets older and it turns white it is breaking, super kinky and very course. It stands straight up and parts her longer non white hair. She has started plucking the hair from her head as she is at her wits end with trying to style it. As it grows back in it stands straight up. She has naturally thin blonde hair to begin with I am afraid she is going to be bald before I know it. She has tried several products, and conditioning treatment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Coloring white/grey hair will help it lay flat. If she doesn't want to color over her white hair, she can always get a clear color put in. It just makes her hair shiny but gives it the same effect a color would. Also what she styles her hair with is key. Does she blow dry her hair and use heat styling? If so, Pantene makes an awesome heat styling leave in aid to help reduse damage. I don't suggest doing any straightners. They will only fry her hair.

My aunt is a stylist and has done my hair my whole life. I also have course hair that frizzes easily.

She suggested for me a leave-in cream you put in when your hair is wet. I use Pantene's Straighten and Smooth Creme. I use this after ever wash.

In addition, she gave me a CHI oil called Farouk Pearl Complex. It's a light oil and you rub about a pea size in your hands (a little goes a long way), and rub it onto the top of your head - around your part or wherever those stray hairs like to fly away. It makes the hairs heavy enough that they lie flat. It works great for me.

I also straighten my hair which helps a lot with the frizz. She'll need to use a heat protector so she doesn't burn her hair and make it worse.

Good luck to her!

Depending on how much she is willing to spend, she can get a CHI treatment at the salon, they take all the frizz out for about 4 months but run around $150. Or get her a CHI flatiron, it will make it all smooth.

Oh my - tell her to stop plucking before that hair won't come back in and she has bald spots!

Ulta has a keratin treatment that I have done to my hair. My hair is gray underneath all my color (I will color until I'm 70!) and the treatment really helps me manage my hair.

They first wash it with a clarifying shampoo. Then they use a brush and put the treatment on it. I sit under the dryer for a while, and then they use a flat iron to finish the process. After that, they wash it out.

You don't wash your hair or get it wet at home for 48 hours. Then you can do what you want.

It gets out the friz and softens up the hair. This is nothing like the earlier keratin treatments that were harsh on the hair. And it is nothing like a straightener, which is VERY hard on the hair.

You do need to buy a specific keratin shampoo and conditioner when you have this done. Ulta sells that as well.

I have mine done every 5 months. It is a godsend to me.

I hope this will help you, and that she will stop pulling her hair out!

I'm a hairstylist. New gray hair very often grows in very wiry, coarse and kinky. There is little she can do to change this this aside from plucking it out. However, if she would let it grow, she can color it and even do deep conditioning treatments on her hair, such as Sebastien's potion 9. While the hairs are still short, she can use a light pomade or wax to sort of lay them down.

Since her hair is thin and blonde, than doing some highlights or a color on the gray hair would help her feel better, and help her hair feel more manageable, youthful and add volume.. Once the grays grow out, she can blow dry them straighter. But continually plucking isn't going to help in the long run.

1 / 3