Hair Falling Out After Having Baby

Hi Moms,

After having two boys, I finally got my little girl. She's 4 months old and a delight. My problem is my long hair has suddenly started falling out. . .and I mean a lot of hair. I've read that this is typical as hormones are adjusting, but I feel really bad and my self esteem is at an all time low adding to the fact that the baby pooch is still lingering. My hair is really thin now and I hate having to comb or wash it because more and more keep falling out. Any advice on how to get through this time. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi M.. I have a little boy and little girl. After both of my babies, around 3 months later, my hair started falling out. But it was especially bad after my daughter. Its totally normal and in a few months you'll have a bunch of baby hairs while it grows back in. I even have a layer of what looks like bangs because I lost so much in the front. What helped me was a good cut...I'm talking like 4 or 5 inches off of my hair. My hair was down to the middle of my back and I cut it to my shoulders and it made a huge difference. Be bold....good luck!

Hi there

No, you're not going bald. This is a temporary phase. In the normal cycle of hair growth, some hair is lost every day. But during pregnancy the increased levels of estrogen in your body freezes hair in the growing (or "resting") phase of the cycle. Hair that would normally fall out stays put, resulting in thicker hair. After you give birth and your estrogen levels decline, however, all that hair that was resting starts to fall out. This usually starts the third or fourth postpartum and ends by six months. But some women say it can last for a year. This temporary hair loss doesn't mean you're deficient in nutrition or vitamins, says Dr. Stone. It's simply hormonal.

Here's how to keep your hair looking good during this hairy transition.

1. Get a new cut. First and foremost, pay a visit to a stylist for professional advice, says Scuoppo. It may be time to get a different hairstyle that will incorporate those fine hairs in the front. If you previously had long hair, or a layered cut with pieces that came down to the chin in the front, you may need to shorten that hair into long bangs that frame the face. Celebrity stylist Oribe (whose clients include Jennifer Lopez and Gwyneth Paltrow) agrees that it's a good idea to go shorter in the front. Sexy, short-in-the-middle, longer-at-the-sides Brigitte Bardot bangs would look great, says Oribe. Layering your hair all over will also give you more fullness.

2. Keep hair moussed and moist. Oribe also says that using the right products can give the illusion of fullness. Look for a volumizing mousse at the drugstore or salon. Also, always use a conditioner or a leave-in hair moisturizer after shampooing.

3. Try color. Coloring your hair is always a great way to give it body, says Scuoppo. If you feel that your hairline is receding and you have dark hair, highlighting the front can act as a camouflage. Or try glossing, a treatment that gives hair all-over shine.

4. Change the part. If you normally part your hair in the middle, a side part can disguise thinning hair at the temples.

5. Add texture. Sleek, straight hairstyles make thinning hair more obvious. If you usually blow out your curly or wavy hair, now may be the time to go with your natural curl. If you have straight hair, try using Velcro rollers or a curling iron to give your locks some oomph, says Scuoppo.

6. Wear hair ornaments. Headbands, scarves, and bandannas are fun and stylish ways to disguise hair loss. They're especially popular with new moms who have little time to devote to hair care!

Finally, if it continues, get your thyroid checked. An imbalance can cause hair loss

Get Nioxin shampoo and conditioner. It helps strengthen the hair while helping it grow. It works, I promise. I worked in the beauty industry for 5 years and have used it myself.

As you've been reading... this tends to be very common. When it happened to me my hair dresser suggested taking Biotin tablets (5mg). I can tell you I don't think it stopped my hair from falling out, but it sure helped it grow in much faster. The only down side is that the hair all over was growing in much faster as well (legs, underarms etc.), but it did make me feel better that at least there was new growth coming in at a great pace. I do suggest taking a multi vitamin as well or continue with your prenatals. Not to worry M.. It will be ok. Just to be on the safe side, get your thyroid checked as well. My levels were all our of wack after 3 kids and once I got that taken care of my depression disappeared. Good luck to you.

This happened with both of my pregnancies. I really recommend bangs. They make you look more youthful and when those baby hairs of yours come in, then they can hide behind the longer bangs.

You have good answers and advice already...but just wanted to share that this is completely normal! I too lost hair with my pregnancies...I have very LONG hair...to my bottom and I love it...after my first two prenancies I lost hair, but with my last two (Twins) the amount I lost was awful...I was getting a little depressed thinking it was all going to come out. And yes, I asked my doctors and they said that this was completely normal and that it would grow back...now nearly 17 years later (all our kids are nearly grown-up) I still have my long hair and it's not as full and thick as it once was (before kids) but it's still long, and there's still plenty there...just make sure and keep it trimmed to keep it healthy!

My hair fell out, too. It'll start coming back soon.

SG had excellent advice...pretty much sums it all up. You may also notice that your hair texture will change once your 'new hair' comes in after your body returns to 'itself.' After I had my second child, my hair went from stick straight to wavy. After my third child, my hair is now pretty thin- but still wavy.

1 / 3