Hair Cut - Chesapeake,VA

My son is 4 months old and has lost him hair everywhere but the front and sides and there it is really long. If you ask me if looks kind of funny. Not my son just the hair. I know they say not to give a baby there first hair cut until they are 1 or it is bad luck. I was thinking of just cutting it all off and starting new.. What do you girls think????

I am a hairdresser from New york I think you should cut it the faster he gets use to getting it cut the better trust me my son is 3 and his first cut he was only 1 month old and now he tell's me when he needs a cut just cut it!

My son is also 4 months old and had a similar "problem". I cut the back part and around his ears. He looks so much better, and I think he likes it too. I know that sounds weird, but it doesn't irritate his ears or neck anymore. Do what you think is best!

I'm a single mom of two boys who are 4yo and 11yo. Both of my boys had this problem when they were younger before their first haircuts. My youngest boys baldness was really bad on the back of his head though. He always had pleanty of hair in the front, top and sides but, the back was so thin or almost to were there was not hair. He did have a lot of hair so as it got longer I tended to keep it braided up so, that the braids would kind of cover the back of his head. I also didn't want to cut my child's hair before he get one and his father actually didn't want to cut his hair at all. As he got older, and I kept his hair braided, the back of his hair started to fill in slowly(very slowly) and I was able to catch the hairs up in his braids, to help his hair grow. I just recently cut his hair off in Jan of this year and I miss it very much. His father was kind of upset that I cut it but, on family vaction with his cousins, someone cut one of his braids out of his hair. So when my son came back home he asked for his hair to be cut off and we did! But just to let you know I did cut my oldest son's hair off before he turned one b/c it wasn't growing.He was about 10 or 11 months old when I did though. And I cried when they both got their first haircuts. Hope this helps. I really don't know if your able to braid his hair up if you don't want to cut it. My grandmother and daycare provider also suggests to keep the kids off the back of their heads too. Like when they are in the crib, or in their carseats, or putting too small hats on the child's head.

My son was born with a full head of thick,jet black hair. By the time he was 3 months old we HAD to cut it. He looked adorable! Now at almost 16 he still needs his hair cut once a month because it grows so fast. I say snip it.Old-Wives tales are just that,tales.

Go ahead and cut it. Don't worry about the bad luck. It's just another old wives tale like the one that cats suck the life out of a baby when they are asleep.

I say - Don't believe in superstitions and do what you want to do for you child! Good Luck!

My little boy had "old man hair" meaning he had it in the back & on the sides, but the top looked like a comb-over. Some pieces were VERY long & even stuck out over his ears, but we just left it. We plan on going back to my home for Christmas and I plan on having my beautician sister-in-law trim his hair. It will be 1 month shy of his first birthday, but I want her to do his first haircut (home is 12 hours from where I live now).

If you want to let it go, the rest of his hair may grow in and blend with the rest, as was the case with my little man. You can't even tell where his bald spot was in the back of his head.

In the end, it's purely your decision and what you want for your little man. Good luck!

My son is just now one year old and has had 6 haircuts. A mom has to do what a mom has to do. If it bugs you that much just cut it.

1 / 3