Hair Coming Out with 3 Year Old's Cradle Cap...

My daughter is three and has always had slight cradle cap. It's mainly in the top front. We have used oil and a tooth brush to loosen it and have combed it out. My daughter also has what seems to be very slow hair growth. She was born practically bald and is finally getting a good head full of hair, in the back. In the front it's as if she has natural bangs. We've never cut her hair, it just seems to grow very slow. Lately, I've noticed that if I remove the cradle cap that her hair will come with it. I can't help but wonder (a) if the cradle cap is stopping the growth of her hair and (b) if I should remove the cradle cap at all being that it is leaving bald spots. It's like the root is not even attached to the head as if it's blocked by the cradle cap.
Just looking for thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

T-Gel or head and Shoulders shampoo, soak scalp with oil, comb gently with a toothbrush and be consistent..

This is IDENTICAL to my 2 year old :(
It worries me. She had it as a newborn, but it went away until now.
She also has thin fine hair Mostly in the back and like your's long "bangs" in front from the middle of her head to the front. And now this cradle cap type dry skin on her scalp on one side and when I pick at it (I'm a picker) her hair comes right with it :/
What is this????

One of my boys had some small amount of cradle cap until he was 8 or so. Dandruff shampoo helps. And there is a Neutrogena shampoo called T-Gel that is for scalp skin conditions. It works great, but it smalls bad and may be too strong of a chemical to risk on such a young child (in case it got into her eyes). But if she she still has this when she is older, you should definitely try it.
I imagine this is harder to deal with with a girl, with the bald spots. My son's hair was think enough and long that you usually couldn't see the spots.

My son had this problem when he was about 2 1/2. He never had it as a baby but then big chunks of hair started falling out. We starting using a dandruff shampoo and combing his hear out carefully every day. He has the opposite of your daughter, really thick hair. What the dr. told us that is was sufficating the hair roots and that it needed to be removed so we just kept combing his head every day. He would still lose some but it became less and less as time went on. He also wore a hat a lot so we started having him wear a visor. I'm happy to say he is now 11 and has think beautiful hair that is longest in the family--and wears a hat every day!

Hi B.!
Just a little about me so you can appreciate this advice.I am a cosmetologist, and I own a hair salon for children. I see this all of the time. The thing you need to know first is that your daughter does not have cradle cap (cradle cap will clear up by six months of age, if there is scaly scalp after that your child has eczema). Eczema is a disease of the immune system, You just need to know that it will most likely never go away completely, if you are vigilant in treating it you can keep flair ups to a minimum. Start by applying a botanical oil to the scalp Coconut oil, or Olive oil are best. Massage the oil into the scalp and leave over night. Don't force the discharge from the scalp as you have seen the hair can come with it. Then use a shampoo that is for the treatment of eczema. I recommend Neutrogina T-gel. Gently massaging the scalp while shampooing will help remove the scaly stuff and when it is soft it won't take the hair with it. Make sure to use a conditioner in her hair as well. T-gel is good for the scalp but not great for the hair. Since her hair is fine if it gets dry breakage can occur. Eczema flair ups have been linked to food sensitivity and so I would contact the nice lady that wanted to help you with diet. I also would recommend google searching eczema, you will find loads of information to help you and your daughter grow the full head of beautiful hair that nature intended!
good luck!

Hi B.,

Do not stress. Cradle cap does not cause hair loss.
I recommend a good diet along with supplementing her diet. If you need some help let me know and I will put a program together for you.

I have been helping parents balance their children's needs. It is important for good health.

I am a wellness consultant and hairstylist.

Have a great day.

N. Marie

Your daughter may always have somewhat thin hair, unfortunately.

I've had enough hair problems in my life, and I can tell you that yes, you have to remove the cradle cap. The hair will grow back, although it grows slowly. Suffocating the scalp with cradle cap will not help her hair.

This happened when I picked my daughter's off at about 8 months old. I thought that the oil might help against it, but I guess it doesn't. I only remove a bit every now and then, so there's no noticeable balding. It doesn't seem to hurt her much if I leave it alone for a while. I think the roots to her hair my be softened if anything by the cradle cap. Good luck!

1 / 3