Hair Coloring and the 40+ Year Old Woman - Unscientific Poll

I'm noticing more and more little gray hairs. I never thought I would want to color my hair but now I'm giving it serious thought. My hair stylist recommends coloring when one is 25% gray. She says I'm not there yet, but by the looks of things, I'm closing in.

I don't feel comfortable asking my friends - "Hey, do you color your hair?" Seems a bit personal. My two older sisters have funky colored hair gone bad so I don't feel confident in their advice. Mom has passed away so no help there either.

So my question to all of you 40+ year old women, how many of you color your hair? What age did you start? What do I need to know? Tell me your stories! The things we women do for vanity!

***Now I understand why Oprah said that hair color was the single greatest invention for women.***

I'm 54 and haven't colored my hair yet... I don't know when I first started going gray, but it doesn't bother me.... I just say that I've earned EVERY one of those gray hairs!

I can count the number of gray hairs I have so no where near 25% of my hair is gray. I have it professionally colored every couple of weeks because I do not want to see any gray hair. I am 42 and just started a few months ago.

I'm 65 with fading red hair and just now getting white in the sides by my ears. When I get my hair cut they say it's still okay but 'soon' I might want to consider coloring it. I don't think I will unless it fades to a nothing color that is not good but I don't really mind the white. I've 'earned' it. :-)

Hi J.-

I guess I am the 'odd' one in the post (& not the first time...lol)

I 'got' (believe it or not) a grey streak when one of my twins was in serious medical difficulty...believe what you will.

I was in philly (daughter was at chop) and a good friend I was staying with offered to dye my hair! It ended up a color...NOT known in nature...LOL

I pledged then...that ANY grey hair on my head would be welcome...

I still await more grey...I LIKE it actually...am hoping it will come in evenly...and look like a nice highlighting as I move forward...

I am 52...I have a slew of children...and BY god...I deserve...NO...have EARNED every grey hair and wrinkle I have...

**I did say I was the 'odd' one...yes?

Best Luck!
michele/cat

Im 40 and I've colored my hair for years not because it's gray but because my hair is so silky soft if i don't have color on it, it won't hold any kind of style to it... it just lays flat. Color gives my hair some texture & i love it.

Absolutely color that hair!!! If your asking, it's probably because you want to :) I don't think I know 1 person over the age of 20, that DOESN'T color their hair lol..

61 yo and been coloring it for 20 years. I am white!!!!! Yes it is an expense
and some people say do it yourself, but I will not. My hair never turns colors
and people do not realize it is colored. So my adice when you do it get it
done professionally if you can afford it. This is my treat to myself. My
springer spaniel and I would get our hair done the same time LOL. She
needed to be groomed often because of her long hair.

I'm 55 and have less than 10% grey. My stylist gives me highlights so the greys blend in. I do have a white stripe starting to happen on one side and color it to match my highlights.

1 / 3