H1n1 Vaccine at School: Yes or No

I KNOW THIS HAS BEEN TALKED TO OBLIVION but, are you willing to give your child the live flumist or even the inactive flu shot through the school vaccination program or even through your doctors office? I am very conerned with the flu season this year but i do feel the media is hyping the situation to some degree...just want to know what other mother's are thinking and feeling because I am very confused as to how to proceed if the vaccinaion becomes available, it comes down to who can you trust and believe!

My pediatrician recommends the inactive shot. 1 child is too young (under 6 months), another can NOT get the live version because she has had wheezing and been on breathing treatments and currently oral steroids, and because of that he is not recommending my son get a live version.

I just spoke with my pediatrician yesterday as to his recommendation. He is very much against the vaccine. There has been very little pre-testing of the vaccine so they don't fully understand the long term ramifications. There is too much of a push for people to receive this untested vaccine and he didn't order any. He isn't going to administer it to any of his patients.

I know it's easy to get scared about 'new' medicine - but it's not. It's precisely the same shot as the seasonal flu shot, they just put in a different strain of flu, which they change regularly anyways. I am DESPERATE for the h1n1 shot. Some people are arguing that this flu is more mild, but when you consider that the flu season has just started and more kids have died than through the entirety of last year's flu season, I don't think that's a true assessment. It is mild in a lot of people, but it's also more quickly lethal. Also, please remember the value of herd immunity. The more people that are vaccinated, the less spread of a virus to people who can't be immunized, like cancer patients and infants.

We are all getting the h1n1 vaccine, we already got the regular flu shot last month. I am taking no chances here.

I have two concerns regarding administering this vaccine:

1. Although the FDA claims the process for making this vaccine is the same one used in the past, I am doubtful that other pharmaceutical companies outside of the USA contracted out to make more of the vaccine are held to the same standards. And if they are, in this economy, can we keep up the quality control considering that jobs are being cut each day?

The media creates hysteria in this country. So when people are flocking to clinics to receive their free flu shot and supply is down, how fast can companies replenish the supply WITH quality assurance?

2. Furthermore, although the process is the same, the ingredients (those associated with the actual virus) are not. (Thermisol is a given; it's a preserving agent. Thermisol-free vaccines have shorter shelf lives so they are not produced in mass quantities. Basically, they're not profitable.) Aside from the preservative, what other agents are added to this vaccine that may pose a danger to some with already weakened immune systems? And what are the long term effects?

I emailed my friend who lives in Milano (northern city in Italy that's very similar to NYC), and she said there is little buzz about H1N1. I often use her as my barometer.

I do get the regular flu vaccine but that only started with my first pregnancy in 2003. My two young kids receive the regular flu vaccine as well and have had no side effects. So I'm not anti-vaccine. I am only questioning how quickly we're pushing this vaccine when testing is still being done.

For the most part, we've already been exposed to H1N1, and it's my belief that it attacks your most vulnerable spot. When I speak to friends who have been infected (results of being swabbed), most have suffered from upper respiratory infections. Others have had head colds and sinusitis. Yes, there are the unfortunate few who have been hospitalized. My friend's daughter went from a raging fever to pneumonia within a few days. So I'm not saying that there are no negative effects. But I think we need to be cautious when new vaccines and drugs are being pushed by the pharmaceuticals.

Wash your hands. Do nasal washes if that's your thing (Personally, I love my neti pot!) and gargle. Keep antibacterial wipes or hand sanitizer in the car.

an ounce of prevention . . .

Stay well!

honestly i really cant see giving a child a swine flu
vaccine,i mean there must be dozens of different flu
strains, swine flu is just one of them, one of dozens that
never causes symptoms any more difficult to deal with then a really bad cold. i mean lets face it, doctors make alot of money by terrifying mothers with hyped up stories of the next supposedly deadly flu. if you really want to keep from getting sick with the flu, wash your hands frequently, sanitize anything that a sick person so much as breathed on.if a friend is sick with something, give them as much space as you can. i know that there has been a few deaths from this strain of flu but how people had
this flu TOTAL, what is the death rate, versus infection rate.. and how many people with this flu had weakened
immunity to begin with ??look at the math, not the hype
K. h.

I am obviously a minority here but my husband and I have discussed this and we are NOT going to allow our children to receive any form of the shot. They do not get the regular flu shot either. By the time the shot becomes available my kids will have been exposed a 100 times over. There are already over 4 cases in their school and several cases that are possible. My daughter had a 103.4 fever and was diagnosed with a cold. So I am not stressing over this. I had to attend a conference on H1N1 and we were told more people die from the seasonal flu than the H1N1. The statistic from the CDC they showed us proved this fact. If my children are fine during flu season normally why should I panic now. If my kids are sick they stay home from school and when sick they get everything they need. I know if anything should happen they will be taken care of so again I am not stressing over this at all. I believe it is more media hype than anything especially since H1N1 has been here before. This is not the first time the US has had it. If you were born prior to '76, you have already been exposed to the H1N1. This is just my opinion as it is everyone else's opinion. Anyway, good luck with your decision.

No. Please do the research and find out what's in the vaccine...thermasol(mercury) and squalene (releated to the gulf-war syndrome) My young cousin just had the H1N1 and symptoms were no worse than having the regular flu. She has bad asthma, which was aggravated, but the doctors treated her more for the asthma than the flu. They told her to rest, and take fever-reducing medicine.

I believe it's all hype for profit. The vaccine makers aren't liable if you get sick or perish from the vaccine. It was rushed through too, with little or no real studies being done. BTW, children younger than 24 months aren't supposed to take the vaccine, as it states in the material information that comes with the vaccine.

absolutely not.
i think the reports of swine flu are grossly over-estimated, and there is some evidence that getting the regular flu shot increases the chances of getting swine flu! viruses mutate rapidly and the chance that your child is even getting a vaccine for a current strain is negligible.
i believe in vaccinations for some things, but not this one. i research and carefully select which illnesses (such as polio) are worth taking the risk for. with the risk of flu being over-estimated and the risks associated with vaccines hugely minimalized we go with creating vibrant good health and treating symptoms on the rare occasions they occur.
i know too many kids who have had terrible reactions to vaccines. sorry if that makes vaccinators resent us, but i hope i always maintain my right to avoid blind faith in a medical community that deserves respect but not obedience.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/1...

khairete

I agree with the poster who recommended that you go to www.mercola.com for H1N1 information.
The flu mist is a live virus that "sheds" for two weeks after receiving it. So, persons who have received this can pass along the virus to healthy people.
The inactive vaccine contains mercury which is a neurotoxin.

My son had H1N1 this past week. He had a HIGH fever, body aches, sore throat and headache. We treated the symptoms, per our doctor's suggestions, and he was over it in three days with no complications.

The media does leave out things. Here in Minnesota they reported infants dying, what they didn't report until days later was that they had other severe ailments BEFORE contracting the flu.

Whatever decision you make will be the right one for your family! There is questions that can't be answered with either scenario. Do your research, then go with your gut feeling.

1 / 3