H1N1 Vaccine - Aurora,IL

I am 18 weeks pregnant and I will be offered H1N1 Vaccine on Monday, and I am not sure what to do. Is it harmfull in any way for the baby? Did anyone get it yet?? I am just so scared because it's so new.....Thanks for the advice!!!

Thanks ladies! It's great to hear the advice from real moms and not just the doctors...have a great weekend!

I am the mom that refuses any additional shots for my kids, and I have never gotten myself or my kids a flu shot. When I heard about the H1N1 vaccine, I refused it immediately, for the same reason (it was too new-not enough testing), well now I have seen 2 different specials on the vaccine and how it is tested the same as the seasonal flu vaccine. I feel a little more at ease about the vaccine, but I still am not going to get it for my kids at this time. I am going to inquire at my allergists office, since both of my kids have asthma, but it still doesn't mean that I will do it, but I have been thinking about it.

It's Monday and I hope you're getting the vaccine. My whole family received it and there were no side effects. The vaccine is the exact same thing as the seasonal flu, just for the H1N1 strain. I was one that was unsure and said I wouldn't get it until I understood more. I did my research and i feel it's safe. On a side note, I know a pregnant woman (38 weeks) that recently came down with H1N1 and she had to be hospitalized. There are serious risks to pregnant women.

I would highly reccomend that you do not get it. There are so many harmful ingrediants in the vaccine. Not to mention last I heard 28% of women who have gotten it while pregnant died. I think either ways it's scary but you'd ve better off fighting off the flu then exposing your unborn child to that.

I think you should discuss it with your doctor. But if you aren't afraid of the regular flu shot, this one is no different. In fact, it will probably be added to the seasonal flu shot for next year. It's just a new type of flu, which is why it is affecting more people than seasonal flu (which more people have had because those strains have been around for awhile). There are good reasons why pregnant women should consider the shot and here is a good website discussing it: http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/188_57994.asp
I don't think the previous poster's statistics were quite right. I would be wary of people who try to scare you into it or out of it. I think your doctor would be the best source of information on this.

I'm 23 weeks pregnant and had my shot on Monday. So far, so good, with no side effects. Not even pain around the injection sight. I was apprehensive, too, but after talking with my (pregnant) OB, who got it, decided to get it myself. There is no preservative (thimerasol), which was one of my concerns. Good luck deciding.

I and my 3 kids had the vaccine about 2 weeks ago. No side effects. The H1N1 is a new strain, and if there was time it would have been added to the current regular flu vaccine.

1 / 3