Gymnastics

I don't know what to do I think my daughter is wanting to quit gymnastics and she's is really good at what she does, should I let her quit???????

My daughter is 9 years old. She has taken gym since she was 3. She is now on a comp team. She takes 9 - 11 hrs a week all year long..........I am tired of gymnastics!!!!! She was ready to quit...totally completely never going back quit! We took a week off and she missed it so much that she was ready to go back the next monday. I did make it totally her choice. She is the one who has to live with the decision. "The most important thing......if it is just work it isnt worth the time." That was the quote from her coach. She advised us to take time off and not even think about it for a while. You have to enjoy a sport to really be able to put that much time into it. Good Luck.

My little girl went through the same thing with gymnastics... I let her stop after finishing the session and we went back a about a year and a half later to a different gym and things are back to normal ~ she loves it again. In between times she took dance lessons and continued to play soccer ~ I think she just needed a break. She told me that she was not having any fun anymore. I want her to know that her feelings are important and that I respect them ~ listen to her, let her know you are hearing what she is saying and then tell her to sit on it for a bit and then see if she still feels the same way.
Best of luck!

I guess my question would be, "Why make her stay in something she no longer enjoys?" It is an important life lesson to know that it is fine to stop something, if it is not enjoyable. Algebera will not be an option, but gymnastics certainly is an option. Another life lesson will come from this -either she will learn that most choices in life are not final, and you can go back -- or she will learn that she she makes good decisions, learn to trust her instincts, and move on to find other, more enjoyable ways to spend her time.

When my kids were growing up, I had one rule about extracurricular activities....if you start it, you will finish it. That meant if my son wanted to sign up T-Ball, he would finish the season. If my daughter wanted to do gymnastics, she would finish the season. If they didn't like something, they knew they could quit at the end of the season, but they weren't going to let their team down or waste our money. There's always an expense with starting any new thing, like buying leotards, tap shoes, baseball gloves, cleats, etc. So, I wanted my kids to see that we don't just try something on a whim and quit midway. If it's something your daughter has been doing for years, let her quit for awhile. She may decide she really misses it and just needed a break. Or she may want to try something new. Let her try new things. She may be even better at them than gymnastics. Good luck!

My advice is yes. While you don't want your child to grow up being a quitter you also don't want to turn them completely against trying new activities either. I believe all children have talent and sometimes they must try a lot of things to determine what that talent is.

My daughter tried a lot of things. We let her try anything she expressed an interest in trying. She quit piano twice before she got to high school and then started it again and became quite good and she really enjoys playing now. On the opposite side of that, my friend made her daughter stay in piano for years and completely turned the child against anything musical.

If it were a team commitment, I agree that I would insist she finish the season as a courtesy to her team. But I would never recommend forcing a child into a team sport that they did not want to play. Having coached girl's softball for many years, I can tell you that the whole team suffers if there is a child on the team who doesn't want to be there. That is a lose/lose situation for all involved.

Yes. Personally, I don't believe in forcing kids into activities. What they love may not be what they are best at. I would definitely speak to her about it and let her know that it is her decision and that you'll support her either way. As parents, we should motivate and inspire but never pressure our children-- they are people, individuals, with their own passions, desires, etc...

You need to find out why and if she really wants to quit. How old is she? How long has she been taking? Have you talked to her coach about this at all?

I would not let her quit until you know why she is wanting to. Sports are not always fun and as you get better they become more difficult but if she is really talented and has a passion for the sport maybe she should continue. Don't know enough to give you a good answer though.

I work for Mental Management Systems in Flower Mound and sometimes we receive questions like this from parents of gymnasts and usually in the situations I have seen it is due to fear of being injured. One 10 year old was a competitive cheerleader who suddenly had a fear of backhandsprings and could not mentally do them anymore - yet she had never personally been injured. This is a self image issue and self image can be corrected through proper imprinting. If this is the case check out our website for more information www.mentalmangement.com or send me a message.

Listen to your daughter. Find out why she wants to quit. Encourage her to continue. Be supportive. Let her know the talent you see in her. Ultimately, make the decision together.

Best of luck!

How old is she? Are you or her coach/gym pushing her to where it isnt' "fun" anymore? My rule is you try something for a season (soccer season, football season, 1 session of dancing, etc.) after that season they can decide if they want to continue or try something else. My daughter wanted to quit gymnastics shortly after she started b/c she wasn't progressing, but I told her she had to finish the session (I was basing the session lenght on when my son stopped soccer b/c they started at the same time - her gym doesn't have sessions). By the time the "session" was up, she had learned some skills and hasn't wanted to quit yet. But, if your daughter has tried it for a while and is just ready to try soemthing else, I'd let her! I mean, is she isn't enjoying it! But, if she just started, I'd make her finish a session. I'd also try to figure out what the deal is...like I said, are they pushing too hard, are there too many practices in a week or too many hours where she can't enjoy friends or other activities?

Not sure how old is she. My son started soccer about five years ago he is really good too, he now plays in a select solar league at only 7 years old, however, he wanted to quit too and I told him he would have to wait until the season was over because he made a commitment to the team. By the time the season was over he wanted to keep playing so maybe that would work! good luck

1 / 3