Gum in Sweater

How do I get gum out of a sweater that is 50% polyester and 50% cotton? My niece's favorite sweater and she is devastated!

try freezing it and picking it off. If that doesn't work, you can use something like peanut-butter, but then you will have to work to get the oil stain out.

Hi, you could try freezing the gum in the freezer. When it is frozen take it out and hit it with a hammer or something hard, it should break apart and come out fairly easy. Hope it works for you. V.

hi C.!

i have been in your same postition with the gooey gum in clothes. i got a product called "Goo Gone". i know its hard to find these days but when i worked at Fred Meyer in 2007 they still sold it. check there and GOOD LUCK!!!!

I have found the best way to rid gum from something like a sweater is to first freeze it with an ice cube (not until it's sopping) just frozen and then immediately tap it with the back of the blade of a table knife (not sharp). Repeat this action over and over picking the broken gum out each time. I am afraid that Goo Gone will smear the gum into the fibers. I use Goo Gone a lot and it's great but, usually on harder surfaces. Gets rid of leftover tape residue great. Good luck. Be patient. All of a sudden you'll be done;o).

I've had good luck with Spray and Wash getting gum out of hair, but I'm not sure it's good with wool. You've gotten some great advice. Good luck!

i would do peanut butter to get the gum out. (it's faster than ice.) then launder and if there is a "grease stain" use lighter fluid to get that out. you can find lighter fluid at the grocery store but you have to ask for it. the fluid works on ALL oil stains and doesn't require a bunch of work. it's saved many shirts in my house!

I've had a lot of success using olive oil to remove gum from hair and other cloths, but, the polyester may absorb the oil and leave a grease stain.

I had luck with a product called Dissolvit. It smells like oranges, and it seems like it removes any sticky, greasy stuff! I go tmine at BiMart, but I would guess other places carry it too. Good luck!

a ice cube on the spot hold it on for awhile to harden the goo then slowly pick it off be patient as you do it some take a while if older but it works the best then clean as you want
even in hair its the best stuff simple ice cubes S. Vanc.

1 / 3