Gum in Clothes

Hi everyone, I accidentally washed my sons clothes with a whole pack of gum in his pocket - although most of the gum was stuck all over my washer and dryer, one of his favorite shirts went through the washer and dryer with the gum and now the gum is caked onto the inside of the shirt. I have no idea how to get it out. Has anyone had any luck getting gum out of clothing after it has been "baked" in by the dryer? I scraped the gum out of the inside of the washer and dryer, but it doesn't really scrape off the shirt.......

I have never washed and dryed any of my childrens clothes with gum in them. But my daughter did get gum stuck on one of her blouses, this may sound funny but it worked for me. A friend of mind told me to put the blouse in the freezer for about 2 to 3 days and then I would be able to just cracked off the gum, and it worked, you might want to try it, and see if that will work.

If you don't have Goo Gone, WD-40 may work as a substitute. I would try the freezer first because the other two products are rather greesy, then you have to wash the greese out.

Dear J.,
Try ice. Even try putting the shirt in the freezer.
Once the gum has really hardened, you can most likely just pick it or scrape it off.

Goo Gone!!! Absolutely great. I removed at least half a pack of gum from jeans pocket as well as the drum of the dryer with Goo Gone. If the item has been through both the gums will probably turn to a gritty or sand like substance that will brush off. Then wash to get the residue off.

Been there, Done that.

I've never tried this after something has been dried in the dryer, but "Goo-Gone" removes gum. Then you would need to use a product like "Shout" or "Spray N Wash" on the spots where you used the Goo Gone. Then wash really well. Depending on the shirt, it may not survive all this. Is this shirt really worth the effort?

A product called "Goof-Off" also removes that kind of thing, but Goof Off smells way worse.

p.s. - After my ex-husband washed and dried two pens in with the clothing, many years ago, I religiously check ALL pockets before anything goes in the wash.

With a hot iron and paper towels
If I remember well... spray the spot that has gum with water.
Them put three paper towels over it then iron over the paper towel until the gum sticks to the paper... repeat procedure until you get it all off!!!

Love, G.. :0)
http://stemcellforautism.blogspot.com/

use ice to freeze the gum on the fabric first, then just pick it off. It has worked many times over for me. If this does not work there is a product called goo gone that works well too, but make sure to test your fabric for color safeness. Good luck!

My mom always used Peanut Butter to get gum out of hair and clothes!

1 / 3