Gum in Clothes

Hi everyone, I accidentally washed my sons clothes with a whole pack of gum in his pocket - although most of the gum was stuck all over my washer and dryer, one of his favorite shirts went through the washer and dryer with the gum and now the gum is caked onto the inside of the shirt. I have no idea how to get it out. Has anyone had any luck getting gum out of clothing after it has been "baked" in by the dryer? I scraped the gum out of the inside of the washer and dryer, but it doesn't really scrape off the shirt.......

I have never washed and dryed any of my childrens clothes with gum in them. But my daughter did get gum stuck on one of her blouses, this may sound funny but it worked for me. A friend of mind told me to put the blouse in the freezer for about 2 to 3 days and then I would be able to just cracked off the gum, and it worked, you might want to try it, and see if that will work.

If you don't have Goo Gone, WD-40 may work as a substitute. I would try the freezer first because the other two products are rather greesy, then you have to wash the greese out.

Dear J.,
Try ice. Even try putting the shirt in the freezer.
Once the gum has really hardened, you can most likely just pick it or scrape it off.

Goo Gone!!! Absolutely great. I removed at least half a pack of gum from jeans pocket as well as the drum of the dryer with Goo Gone. If the item has been through both the gums will probably turn to a gritty or sand like substance that will brush off. Then wash to get the residue off.

Been there, Done that.

I've never tried this after something has been dried in the dryer, but "Goo-Gone" removes gum. Then you would need to use a product like "Shout" or "Spray N Wash" on the spots where you used the Goo Gone. Then wash really well. Depending on the shirt, it may not survive all this. Is this shirt really worth the effort?

A product called "Goof-Off" also removes that kind of thing, but Goof Off smells way worse.

p.s. - After my ex-husband washed and dried two pens in with the clothing, many years ago, I religiously check ALL pockets before anything goes in the wash.

With a hot iron and paper towels
If I remember well... spray the spot that has gum with water.
Them put three paper towels over it then iron over the paper towel until the gum sticks to the paper... repeat procedure until you get it all off!!!

Love, G.. :0)
http://stemcellforautism.blogspot.com/

use ice to freeze the gum on the fabric first, then just pick it off. It has worked many times over for me. If this does not work there is a product called goo gone that works well too, but make sure to test your fabric for color safeness. Good luck!

My mom always used Peanut Butter to get gum out of hair and clothes!

Coat the gum with peanut butter, let it sit and then scrape it off. Another thing you can do is put ice on it and when the gum gets cold enough, you should be able to scrape it off with a butter knife.

M. *~

did you try the freezer yet? put it in the freezer and while cold you can usually scrape it off...
A.

Shaklee makes a product called Basic H. It is a biodegradeable cleaner concentrate and I have seen it take gum off in a snap! It's a good cleaner, and yet so mild you could brush your teeth with it,unlike the Goo-Gone or Goof Off. I've heard of the peanut butter thing, but I think you would then have to deal with the oil stain from the peanut butter.
Blessings,

haven't tried this myself and don't know if it works for "baked" gum, but have read that if you freeze the gum it should be easier to remove. Not sure if you have to put the whole shirt in the freezer or if you could, say, sandwich the gum area between a couple blue ice blocks to have the same effect. Good luck!

I'd try freezing the gum shirt first then use mayonnaise. Mayo is amazing at removing sticky things... I've gotten hard candy out of my toddler's hair before w/ mayo, and it gets tree sap off too. Good luck!

Have you tried "Goo Gone"? It works to get sticky stuff off of pretty much anything.

Hi put the shirt in the freezer for a few hours it should then just break away if not be easier to pick off. good luck

freeze it, then just breakit off.

HI J.
try Mary Kay eye makeup remover it works wonders I use it for alot of things good luck Danielle mother of 4

I believe an ice cube will do the trick and if not, then put the item in the freezer and get the gum hard and it should come off. Best of luck.

Use ice cubes directly to the gum to harden it and then scrape it off as many times as needed.