Guinea Pig Not Eating...

My 4 1/2 year old female guinea pig seems to have stopped eating. I have 2 and the other is fine. We've had them their whole lives. She won't even eat her favorite treats so I know something is wrong. Before we head off to the vet does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks! BTW...there is no obvious other sign of illness (no missing hair, bulges etc).

We went to the vet and she had a bad infection. She's on antibiotics so hopefully, she'll be fine. Thank you for your kind words and good wishes. Have a blessed day!

Get her to a small pet expert vet ASAP!!!!! I've had 6 guinea pigs in the last 10 years. As soon as they show any signs of sickness, its not long till there's no turning back. And I'll worn you now its gonna cost just as much as it does your dog or cat. Good Luck I hope everything turns out well. Also I would separate them if they aren't already so if she is sick they both won't catch it. My last two cavies both died from upper resp. infections all within two weeks, I took them to the vet and got meds and it was still to late.

Could be her back teeth have grown over her tongue and won't let her eat. Or a broken tooth, sore in the mouth, upper respiratory infection (very common to have almost no symptoms). A trip to the vet is in order.

Check her teeth, my GP broke her teeth growing up. I basically spoon fed her until they grew back. She lived about 6-7 years total. She was awesome, hope everything works out. Can you call your vet vs going to start?

She will die if you don't get this figured out. She could have a problem with her teeth, but the vet should be able to tell. I'm so sorry - it's hard to watch this.

Has she ever had a litter?
The reason I ask is I've found info that says a female that's been bred tends to have a shorter life span.
On average a guinea pig can live from 5 - 7 years (there are exceptions - a very few have lived to 14 yrs) but they said a bred female sometimes lives only to 3 1/2.
I'm glad you'll be having a vet check her out.

http://animals.pawnation.com/life-span-guinea-pig-1893.html

Not eating always necessitates a trip to the vet. Poor little guinea. Good luck.

She may have tooth problems. GO TO THE VET. Not eating is an emergency is a guinea pig.

http://www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html

http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

1 / 3