Growing Out Salt & Pepper Colored Hair

Hi, I am going to be 45 years old this May. I think I am going through a mid-life crisis. For the past two years I have been coloring my hair back to its normal color (dark brown). I hate my roots (who doesn't), and would like to try growing my hair out, but, again the roots look terrible when one does this. My hair is very long (middle of my back), and I don't want to wear it short. Does anyone know how to grow it out without the roots being so obvious? By the way, my skin tone is fair to medium and my eyes are brown and eyebrows are black or actually dark grey (pepper) now. I love the way white hair looks on some women. I wonder how I would look. Thank you!

I havent looked at the darker shades of hair color before, but do they have a color between the darker brown and a gray? If you could find a color in the middle then the roots wont be so obvious while growing them out.

I would suggest going to a salon and have them add some blonde/grey highlights to your hair. It will blend with your already salt and pepper roots and make them a lot less obvious.

Go to a good salon and get your hair lighly frosted. My mom did this and it made the transition from dark blond to silver seem very natural and gradual. Having your hair frosted doesn't have to mean huge streaks, they can do it where only a few hairs at a time are colored so it really makes it look a lot closer to natural. If you let your roots grow out a little bit before you go in, your colorist should be able to match up the colors and patterns a lot better too since she'll have something to go on. It may be a little pricey, but honestly shouldn't be necessary more than once, since the frosting process is actually a bleaching and the hair remains that way until it's cut off or re-colored.

I began using a non-permanent rinse to color that would fade out gradually over 4-5 weeks rather than grow out. It did help to keep it trimmed up or go a bit shorter while in the conversion process.

I believe it was called "presentation" and I got it at a local beauty supply place. I had to mix the color with a reactant thing. Kind of messy. Then one month I just stopped.

I think it is a great idea to go natural. Gets rid of some chemicals that are not necessary in your body. Plus, what a relief it is not to mess around with color all the time plus those nasty roots.

Here's to your new freedom!

I'm hitting 45 next month, too. Happy Birthday!

To avoid roots, I've been using Natural Instincts non-permanent color. It slowly washes out so you never get roots that are distinctly different. You could try using this for a while until your hair gets long enough for the roots to be gone. It's much less expensive than a professional coloring job, too.

I would consult a professional. If that is out of your budget then try coloring it with semi permanent color i.e. wash out color that will not leave hard lines while you are growing it out and you might consider cutting your hair up to shoulder length while you are growing out the permanent color.

Hi, I. - I would consult an expert. N. at Salon Laurie is very good with color. Good luck! ###-###-####.

Ok - I think you are going to have to color it one last time. Go to a professional colorist and bring all your hair to the color of your roots. One shot - done - no more guessing. That's what I'd do. I'm 47 and I'm still coloring - I just have "chunks" of grey throughout my real color. But I have a 3 yr old. I bet I'll be ALL grey by the time he hits his teens - or shortly thereafter! Blessings, S.

hi lisa,
you don't have to give it a label. you're just ready for a change. i was and am a sahm. my hair is still colored after many ..trials like your own. i know you're busy with the kids;but, remember your husband is in the public all day with people dressed,looking and smelling good. you do the same. go to a wig shop and try on grey wigs the length and color you will be....it's a lot harder to look vibrant with that color and your skin tone. the last kick is when they call you grammy in public. it's hard for you and the kids. buy the cheap wig and see how you feel and your husbands res

1 / 3