Ground-in Dirt Stains on Winter Coats

I just took the winter coats down from the attic. They have dirt marks around the sleeves and on the front. I tried "shout" but they didn't come out. Any suggestions?

Try a "magic eraser" type product. I have used it on shoes, jackets & winter coats, & a white Christening style dress that my 5 year old wore to a wedding. She had dirt stains around the bottom, & food stains (chocolate & other) all over. I wet the eraser sponge & wiped. Everything came clean. Could not even see where the stains were. Then just wash as desired, or recommended. Regarding the jackets & coats, the eraser did a great job cleaning stains on the collars & sleeves.

I'd definaly grab the lestoil. That stuff works on everything (including getting crayon off the walls with no scrubbing!).

Try scrubbing some Lestoil into the stains. You can let it sit for a few minutes or just put it right in the wash. It has a distinct smell to it - but it wears off or you could wash it again.

lestoil. It works on all stains. Lestoil... you buy it in the section by Mr. Clean... it smells pretty bad.. but it works on grass stains on white baseball pants.. so it will work... pour it on stain.. wait about 2 - 3 hours.. then wash.. good luck.. you can also put some spray and wash and the lestoil...

I have found Hot water and Oxi Clean works miracles. I get the clothing wet with hot water, use spray Oxi Clean and let it sit for about 20 minutes. I then scrub a little and throw it in the washer with regular detergent and the powder Oxi Clean. I have saved a lot of items this way. Hope it helps.

I hear OxiClean works good. Ali

shout works awesome. I use it on ground in dirt stains on jeans and when i go to get that dirt out of the winter coats it works great. Get the bottle that looks like the windex bottle. That one you can even put on days before you wash the clothes if you don't have a full load.

Try rubbing on a paste of oxyclean and just enough water to make a paste. Let that sit for a while (overnight?) and then wash them normally.

good luck!

Have you tried Oxy? I keep a bucket in my sink with Oxy and water at all times. Whenever anything gets stained, or comes out of the dryer with stains (or I buy used clothes with stains), it goes in the bucket. I've only had one thing that didn't come clean. All the others look brand new. Its cheap and easy -- buy a small bucket of Oxy in the laundry aisle, put one or two scoops in a bucket of water and soak the jackets in there for a couple days.

I love the stuff so much I bought a HUGE bucket at BJ's and I use it in every load of wash.

I would try the OxyClean spray, let it sit a few minutes and then wash the coat. It may not come out - at which point it would become this winter's "play" coat, and would be worn AFTER SCHOOL and weekends to play in.

I just finished cleaning my 4yo daughters coat. It is bright pink and had dirt stains all around the sleeves and bottom edge. First I washed the coat with regular liquid detergent and dried it. Of course it couldn't be that easy and all the stains were still there. Then I sprayed the entire coat with Resolve stain remover. I let that sit for about 20 minutes. Then I used an old toothbrush and scrubbed the stains with Clorox 2 Stain Fighter and Color Booster. I was amazed that ALL the stains came out. I figured it was hopeless b/c it had already been through the dryer. Good luck!

Hello- COngrats on your third pregnancy, I have 3 little ones as well. It can be overwhelming at times, but soooo worth it! Anyway, try soaking it in Oxyclean. That stuff is AMAZING!!! I use it for everything. Hope it helps!! Jennifer

lestoil or mr clean magic erasers,

these are awsome,if your jackets are NYLON,

if they are cotton or wool, type material, then try a drycleaner.

M

Dear J.,
I have always found Vivid to be the stain-fighter of choice. I was sold when red wine spilled on my white jeans years ago. It took the stain right out when everyone told me to toss them. Growing up, my son had to be the messiest kid alive. No problem, vivid took out everything from spagetti sauce to mud and paintball stains. I also owned a food business, and it took out all food and grease stains. I sound like I should be doing a commercial for it. Maybe I should. Give it a try.
Also, limiting your children to two activities was a good choice. We did the same thing and found that they enjoyed spending more time at home with us and having friends over. Now in their 20's, they appreciate the choices we made for them. Keep up the good work.
W.

Try Fels Naptha soap. It's in a bar form...by the detergents. Under $2 a bar.