Ground Beef Question

I took ground beef out of the freezer Monday night and totally forgot about it until an hour ago. I cooked it, but I'm a bit worried to eat it. Normally I'd just check for smell, but I've never waited so long to cook. I don't know if it matters, but it's local, pastured/organic ground beef. I think it's probably a lot more fresh then what I would buy in the grocery store. It didn't really have a smell.
Would I be OK in assuming it's safe to eat?

Yes...It was taken out of the freezer and put in the fridge, lol!! It was put directly in the fridge from the freezer, no putting it on the counter. It was still really red and bloody.

I'd eat it and even feed it to company. It's fine! It helps that it's excellent quality to begin with but even if it were conventional grocery store ground beef, I'd still think it's fine.

I asked this back in Sept but I had mine in the fridge for 2 weeks. I got a variety of answers but here's one Elaine gave with the website:

This is what the USDA Food Safety Inspection Service recommends (details here: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/ground_beef_and_food_...)
"
How should raw ground beef be stored at home?
Refrigerate or freeze ground beef as soon as possible after purchase. This preserves freshness and slows growth of bacteria. It can be refrigerated or frozen in its original packaging if the meat will be used soon.

If refrigerated, keep at 40 °F or below and use within 1 or 2 days.

For longer freezer storage, wrap in heavy duty plastic wrap, aluminum foil, freezer paper, or plastic bags made for freezing. Ground beef is safe indefinitely if kept frozen, but will lose quality over time. It is best if used within 4 months. Mark your packages with the date they were placed in the freezer so you can keep track of storage times.

[Top of Page]

What is the best way to thaw ground beef?
The best way to safely thaw ground beef is in the refrigerator. Keeping meat cold while it is defrosting is essential to prevent growth of bacteria. Cook or refreeze within 1 or 2 days.

To defrost ground beef more rapidly, you can defrost in the microwave oven or in cold water. If using the microwave, cook the ground beef immediately because some areas may begin to cook during the defrosting. To defrost in cold water, put the meat in a watertight plastic bag and submerge. Change the water every 30 minutes. Cook immediately. Do not refreeze raw ground meat thawed in cold water or in the microwave oven unless you cook it first.

Never leave ground beef or any perishable food out at room temperature for more than 2 hours (1 hour at 90 °F and above). "

if it was refridgerated, it should be completely fine.

If you pulled it out of the freezer & left it out for an hour it should still be some what frozen. I don't see why there would be anything wrong with it... sometime I leave meat out to thawl for hours. As long as it was still cool to the touch when you cooked it - it should be fine.

it's been in the fridge, right? i supposed i'm overly casual, but i'd do the sniff test and then go for it. and yes, since you buy good meat (yay for you!) it was fresher to start with, and will also act like good food does when it hasn't been saturated in preservatives and let you know (in an olfactory sort of way) if it's not okay.
khairete

Yes, if you cooked it so that it's cooked all the way thru, it will be safe to eat.

As long as you had it in the frig from the freezer it is fine. I thought and many others thought you left it on the counter and discovered it. If that were the case I would hope you would have tossed it in the trash.

You are safe to eat it.

The other S.

Yikes, that's cutting it a little close...for me. I would probably trash it, I am never willing to roll those dice :)
K.N.- remind me not to eat at your house, lol!

1 / 3